Science Fiction anyone?

Talk about the films you're seeing, programmes you're watching and books you're reading.

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Science Fiction anyone?

Postby biddenden_sue on January 11th, 2010, 3:03 pm

I love sci-fi, and go back quite a way.

Series that I have watched - when they were on for the first time - are:

Blake's 7, Incredible Hulk, Six Million Dollar Man, Bionic Woman, The Tomorrow People, Sapphire & Steel, Space 1999, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, Star Trek (in all its guises, although I only saw the original series as repeats), Quantum Leap, Sliders, ReGenesis, Red Dwarf, Hyperdrive...I'm running out now, and they're not necessarily in that order, chronologically, but you get the gist. :lol:

I also love Gerry Anderson but had to watch all his Supermarionation series as repeats because I simply wasn't born when they were first shown (don't think I was anyway) :shock:

After Doctor Who, my second favourite sci-fi series of all time has to be Hitchhikers, but I loathed the recent movie. Its only saving grace was the wonderful voice of Stephen Fry as The Book. Beyond that, it was just embarassing to watch. :evil: I have the entire series of audio books on CD, including the fab Tertiary Phase in glorious 5.1 surround sound on DVD! :ugeek:

Yeah, fair play, geek alert. :lol:
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. Douglas Adams.
biddenden_sue

Postby merlinsseer on January 11th, 2010, 4:57 pm

I was raised on a steady diet of horror and sci-fi. Star Trek , the Addams Family, Lost in Space, Night Gallery and Dark Shadows , even the Munsters are shows i will still sit down and watch with guilty , childish pleasure.

Farscape is one of the few newer Sci-Fi shows that was worth watching. A talented cast, good writing and likable characters. A great romp. I did watch Lexx for awhile and never did decide if I really liked it or not. It was bizarre, campy and the erotic nature of it almost bordered on soft **** sometimes. I couldn't stop watching it.. :lol: The X-Files was fun until it started going in the conspiracy theory direction.

Movies, if i had to pick one " Bladerunner", dark , gritty and absolutely gorgeous
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
merlinsseer

Postby Jedi Princess on January 11th, 2010, 6:17 pm

I LOVE Star Trek (original series, Next Generation, and DS9, plus movies II, III, IV, VI, IX, and XI), Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis, the Twilight Zone, and Quantum Leap.
"The universe has to move forward. Pain and loss, they define us as much as happiness or love. Whether it's a world, or a relationship... Everything has its time. And everything ends." - Sarah Jane, School Reunion
Jedi Princess

Postby Marcello Cristiano on January 12th, 2010, 4:32 pm

Aaw! Now Mouser mentioned a great show that I forgot to list and that's The X-Files. Mulder always is a riot to watch. I love it when he throws those pencils(or rather shoots them) into the ceiling. :lol: Always makes me laugh. Scully is very easy on the eye which I like too very much. :P
" 'Wibbsey' would be a wonderful word for pillow talk, wouldn't it? Especially if you said it softly..."

TOM BAKER
(2010)
DEMON QUEST
Doctor Who Magazine #425 (Interview)
Marcello Cristiano

Postby Mouser on January 12th, 2010, 11:26 pm

I loved the short-lived X-Files spin-off 'The Lone Gunmen'. Nerds Rock!
Well, my doctorate is purely honorary, and Harry here is only qualified to work on sailors.
Mouser

Postby Gold Usher on February 20th, 2010, 3:28 pm

Tron....I hear there's a possible remake of it. OMG how could they??

I know the premise of that movie-couple of programmers get 'inside' the gaming machine to do something, saw it twice but still don't really get it. In fact, fell asleep both times. First at the drive-in I was dozing off and on the sofa at home. I think Disney acknowledged they had a major flop on their hands despite all the sfx for it. Everyone ringed in neon blue looking like animated head photos and just riding bikes around a circuit board. Snooze time.

Or maybe I missed something exciting???
Gold Usher

Postby tracy on February 21st, 2010, 7:13 pm

:D dr who toms era. i use to like to watch blakes seven. jo 90.space 1999.lost in space.and others i cant think of right now
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby John on February 21st, 2010, 8:40 pm

Ooh..I LOVE Blakes 7, Tracy! :P

Has anyone seen Sapphire and Steel? I've never seen it, so I'm gonna buy some of the discs to watch in the week.
John

Postby biddenden_sue on February 22nd, 2010, 10:19 am

John wrote:Ooh..I LOVE Blakes 7, Tracy! :P

Has anyone seen Sapphire and Steel? I've never seen it, so I'm gonna buy some of the discs to watch in the week.

Another thumbs up here for Blake's 7 - I cried so much at the final episode - how could they do that??? :shock:

And yes, I watched Sapphire & Steel from start to finish when it was originally on TV. Can't remember it ever being repeated though, so that's going back a long way! It wasn't a brilliant programme and didn't last long. Both David McCallum and Joanna Lumley had been in better series prior to that (Man from U.N.C.L.E. and New Avengers respectively) and consequently it died a death in the ratings. Also, the plots were complicated and went straight over most people's heads.

But I have to say if I knew anyone who had invested in a boxset, I would certainly want to watch it again to see what I thought of it now. Let us know what you think, John. ;)
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. Douglas Adams.
biddenden_sue

Postby Toothy Grin on February 23rd, 2010, 1:20 pm

John - you're in for a real treat if you're planning to watch Sapphire & Steel and have never seen it before. One word of advice - watch it alone, at night, in the dark. It's a fantastic piece of atmospheric telly and totally unique.
Toothy Grin

PreviousNext

Return to TV, Film, Books and Music