The Scarves

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

The Scarves

Postby TARDIS-Tara on January 22nd, 2010, 11:54 pm

There have been at least seven distinct scarves over Tom Baker's time as the Doctor.

The earlier seasons, The Season Twelve, the Season Thirteen and the Season Fourteen were cut up and combined to make the Season 16 &17 Scarf.

One of these scarves, the Shada Scarf, was in the possession of JNT and is now in a private collection in the US.

The Season 15 was only used in three episodes, Image of the Fendahl, Underworld and The Invasion of Time, and then it totally disappears.

The Season 18 scarf has also totally disappeared except for a slightly different version that was at the Doctor Who Museum in Blackpool.

Has anyone else seen one?

I have knitted over fifty scarves myself and I'm desperate for more information on the original scarves.

I would be more than happy to help people knit scarves for themselves, so feel free to message me with questions.
"Pity about the scarf-- Madame Nostradamus made it for me-- a witty little knitter. Never get another one like it--" The Doctor, Ark in Space
TARDIS-Tara

Re: The Scarves

Postby Jedi Princess on January 23rd, 2010, 12:24 am

I have attempted on many occasions to teach myself to knit so that I could make a scarf like Tom's....all to no avial. I have absolutely no patience, and knitting takes too long :D Kudos to those of you who do have the patience to do it.
"The universe has to move forward. Pain and loss, they define us as much as happiness or love. Whether it's a world, or a relationship... Everything has its time. And everything ends." - Sarah Jane, School Reunion
Jedi Princess

Postby Malcolm Orr on January 27th, 2010, 8:58 pm

TARDIS-Tara wrote:There have been at least seven distinct scarves over Tom Baker's time as the Doctor.

The earlier seasons, The Season Twelve, the Season Thirteen and the Season Fourteen were cut up and combined to make the Season 16 &17 Scarf.

One of these scarves, the Shada Scarf, was in the possession of JNT and is now in a private collection in the US.

The Season 15 was only used in three episodes, Image of the Fendahl, Underworld and The Invasion of Time, and then it totally disappears.

The Season 18 scarf has also totally disappeared except for a slightly different version that was at the Doctor Who Museum in Blackpool.

Has anyone else seen one?

I have knitted over fifty scarves myself and I'm desperate for more information on the original scarves.

I would be more than happy to help people knit scarves for themselves, so feel free to message me with questions.

Do you take comissions on 1/6th scale scarves? For a 12" action doll of Tom?
Malcolm Orr

Postby TARDIS-Tara on January 28th, 2010, 7:49 pm

Right now I'm pretty booked (Gallifrey One convention in L.A. next month), but I might be able to find someone willing to take on a commission.

Shall I ask around for you?
"Pity about the scarf-- Madame Nostradamus made it for me-- a witty little knitter. Never get another one like it--" The Doctor, Ark in Space
TARDIS-Tara

Postby pattie anne on January 28th, 2010, 11:36 pm

dear malcolm -

or, you could look around the thrift stores, especially where they keep their toys and stuffed animals, as many of them often have scarves that are just about right size and length for a doll.

best,
pattie anne :geek:
"And as for Tom Baker, well, I'll always be the Doctor,
won't I?" TOM BAKER
pattie anne

Postby John on January 31st, 2010, 4:49 pm

Tara, if you type Doctor Who Scarf into Google, you'll find a whole site devoted to the subject of Tom's scarves.
John

Postby TARDIS-Tara on February 2nd, 2010, 8:25 am

Yes, I have the third site listed. :)

I have been knitting Doctor Who Scarves for going on thirty years.

There is still a lot of information yet to be discovered.
TARDIS-Tara

Postby Sarah on February 25th, 2010, 6:52 pm

I can't knit but I can crotchet! Dosn't look exactly the same up close but most people wouldn't know the difference. It is easy to learn and much quicker than knitting. You can do the whole thing in a simple stitch, any basic crotchet book will help you. I learned in a few hours years ago. I am working on the original scarf now... to full length. Lucky my mum is a knitter and has about 50 years worth of yarn in boxes and bags and I found what I needed!

I would be happy to do a mini scarf for anyone who wants one, or bigger. I am looking for a good little statue to make one for but alas no luck so far. I have seen some but they make the face look wrong on them.
Sarah

Postby Jedi Princess on March 4th, 2010, 2:28 pm

how much do you charge for scarves Sarah, and do you ship to Texas? :P
"The universe has to move forward. Pain and loss, they define us as much as happiness or love. Whether it's a world, or a relationship... Everything has its time. And everything ends." - Sarah Jane, School Reunion
Jedi Princess

Postby thomdalladay on March 12th, 2010, 2:40 pm

I have a early-style Tom Baker scarf - all 6 metres of it! My grandma knitted it for me... I've been seen on television with it (Graham Norton Show, November-time [when David Tennant was a guest star])... I'll see if I can get a screenshot of it, I'm really chuffed that I have it :D
thomdalladay

Next

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years