Pyramids of Mars

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Pyramids of Mars

Postby blackhawkrush on December 27th, 2009, 2:08 am

Jedi Princess wrote:I agree :) And when I watched this story, I didn't know when Tom's Doctor regenerated........so when he got strangled by the mummies, I actually cried! I really thought he was dead.

It was all "inside your mind." :lol:
blackhawkrush

Postby Jedi Princess on January 11th, 2010, 6:16 pm

My little sister (age 10) recently attempted to begin watching Doctor Who. We started her with Pyramids of Mars, watching one episode per night. At the end of the second episode she went to bed.....and stayed up all night with nightmares because of the mummies. Alas, she is now banned from Doctor Who for another year.
"The universe has to move forward. Pain and loss, they define us as much as happiness or love. Whether it's a world, or a relationship... Everything has its time. And everything ends." - Sarah Jane, School Reunion
Jedi Princess

Postby Doctor31074 on January 19th, 2010, 11:24 pm

The Pyramids of Mars is a great story, but not one of my absolute favorites. Tom's performance saves the first several episodes of the story in my book, though Elisabeth Sladen is good in it too. The story's plot is fairly bland to me, and the mummies is hard for me to enjoy as enemies. Sutekh is a great villain, and the scenes between him and the Doctor are memorable because of the effectiveness of Sutekh's vocie and the excellent acting on Tom's part. Usually I would only watch the first episode in its entirety, then skip to the end of the third episode about ten minutes into the second. Maybe it's like Image of the Fendahl and I need to get it on dvd to enjoy it in its entirety.
Doctor31074

Postby Jedi Princess on January 21st, 2010, 4:05 pm

Fie on you, that you say so! Lol, I'm just kidding. Not everyone has my stellar tastes ;) I've always been a devoted student of Egyptology, so perhaps that's why I find the mummies to be such great enemies and perhaps why I found the episode so intriguing to begin with.

Even though *cough, cough*, Horus was Sutekh's NEPHEW, not brother. In Egyptian mythology Sutekh/Set was the brother of Osiris, whom he killed. Horus is the son of Isis and Osiris, therefore he is not the brother of Sutekh. That little mess up always annoyed me :D
"The universe has to move forward. Pain and loss, they define us as much as happiness or love. Whether it's a world, or a relationship... Everything has its time. And everything ends." - Sarah Jane, School Reunion
Jedi Princess

Postby ivocaliban on January 24th, 2010, 6:47 am

Jedi Princess wrote:Even though *cough, cough*, Horus was Sutekh's NEPHEW, not brother. In Egyptian mythology Sutekh/Set was the brother of Osiris, whom he killed. Horus is the son of Isis and Osiris, therefore he is not the brother of Sutekh. That little mess up always annoyed me :D

Well, I just like to believe it was the Egyptians that made the error in the Whoniverse, not the "Osirians." It wouldn't be the first time that aspects of religion were altered/confused when being transcribed by mere mortals!
ivocaliban

Postby Toothy Grin on January 25th, 2010, 2:44 pm

Pyramids Of Mars is pure class from start to finish. The period setting is superbly realised and very evocative. Sutekh is one of the greatest villains of all time, the story is gipping and scary and Tom and Lis are at the top of their game. A stone-cold classic from a fantastic era. 10/10 for me.
Toothy Grin

Previous

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years