Shada

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Shada

Postby biddenden_sue on January 11th, 2010, 2:39 pm

I'm kicking myself for missing the Shelved episode about this in December - I never knew about it, and just read it here on your forum. :(

Now, personally, I'm a huge Douglas Adams fan, and loved the stories he wrote for the Doctor, so when Big Finish produced a full audio adventure of Shada and released it on CD, I snapped it up. At the time, I was disappointed that Tom didn't get to play the Doctor but figured it was because he wasn't on contract with Big Finish whereas Paul McGann was.

But now, again here on your forum, I have heard about the Hornets Nest CDs that are being released. Wow, I want some of that! So are they Big Finish productions or is someone else doing these? I think it's a massive shame that if this has been possible, someone couldn't have pulled their finger out and got Tom to do Shada.

We had John Leeson as K9 and Lalla Ward as Romana, backed up by a stunning cast, but it just didn't work with Paul McGann playing the Doctor. :x

So what do you lot think?
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. Douglas Adams.
biddenden_sue

Re: Shada

Postby Malcolm Orr on January 12th, 2010, 9:51 pm

Well Paul's Doctor is terribly generic and so it doesn't really work that well. The narrated video is much better.

And canon. :twisted:
Malcolm Orr

Postby pattie anne on January 13th, 2010, 8:17 pm

Not sure TOM working with Lalla would have been a confortable situation, for either one of them; being they are married to different folks now, and no longer to each other. But then, actors are a whole different kind of folk, so WHO knows exactly WHY the decision was made that they went with Paul? But like you, I too am such a fan of Mr Adams that I was very glad they finally filmed his story, mostly, as he originally wrote it. Yes, sad was I TOM was not a part of it; but very happy I was that it was finally a done, legit credit for Douglas. :geek:
"And as for Tom Baker, well, I'll always be the Doctor,
won't I?" TOM BAKER
pattie anne

Postby biddenden_sue on January 14th, 2010, 7:22 am

Yes, that's a fair comment, Pattie Anne. My children adore this story anyway, as they have only seen a handful of original 4th doctor episodes, but have followed the 8th doctor on Radio 7 for the past few years, so accept him much more readily.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. Douglas Adams.
biddenden_sue

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years