Tom Baker the man

Talk about Tom.

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Tom Baker the man

Postby Ronald on December 20th, 2009, 12:21 am

While I have never seen or met Tom, there is a great story in the book ACE! about Tom and his first meeting with Sophie Aldred. He basically ignored until "I made some vaguely intelligent comment and suddenly Tom stopped in his tracks and looked at me in an astonished kind of way as if to say 'My God! This girls' got a brain!'" After that, he would not stop talking to her and was very friendly to her every time they met, even joking about adopting her.
Ron

Brandon, FL
Ronald

Postby biddenden_sue on January 10th, 2010, 8:20 am

Hello everyone. I guess this is an appropriate place to ask this question.

Does anyone know if Mr. Baker objects to being approached by fans in the street? I pass him so regularly as we live locally to each other, but I have absolutely never stopped him or said hello. I might return that infectious grin occasionally though. ;)

But if I spoke to him, how would he react? We're awfully thoughtful round here, so even though I'm sure everyone knows who he is, no one ever bothers him, you see.
biddenden_sue

Postby pattie anne on January 10th, 2010, 10:11 pm

How very kind of you all. Can't say for positive, but HE has been very polite and courteous to the folks I have talked to that have met HIM that way. Of course, if it appeared HE was late for an appointment somewhere, or otherwise similarly rushed, a smile, and a nod and a wink of ("hey! i know WHO you are!") would probably be best. Still, do have a go at it. I know for sure I would. And BTW ... welcome to TOM's virtual Table.
Last edited by pattie anne on January 10th, 2010, 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"And as for Tom Baker, well, I'll always be the Doctor,
won't I?" TOM BAKER
pattie anne

Postby Gold Usher on January 14th, 2010, 5:53 am

I'd probably be tongue-tied myself if I saw him strolling on the street. But the poster who says he sees him might chance just a 'hello' with a smile.

I saw Stephen King in line at lunchtime at a local deli when I worked downtown Portland -- we just looked at each other. "I know who you are" I thought and just nodded at him. He smiled back - probably glad I hadn't 'made' him as it was crowded in there that day and his latest book at the time had just gone 'movie'. I think it was around "Pet Semetary" time. (He has so many out there now)
Gold Usher

Postby biddenden_sue on January 14th, 2010, 7:28 am

I've bumped into quite a lot of celebrities over the years, but tend to just smile and walk past, as I respect their right to a normal life when not making official public appearances.

However, the sheer number of times that my path crosses Mr Baker's is becoming increasingly frustrating. :(
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. Douglas Adams.
biddenden_sue

Postby tracy on January 14th, 2010, 10:45 am

:D this should help you sue i was reading the november guest book that a lad hadseen tom in kent and stopped him to ask for his autograth which tom did and the lads mum thanked tom for doing so .
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby Forum Moderator on January 14th, 2010, 3:46 pm

Tom has asked me to say something here. He’s very happy to exchange a few friendly words with neighbours and people he meets when he’s out and about – he meets some interesting people and appreciates the way they remember his work. However, like everybody else he has a life to lead and if he’s stopped too often, he finds it difficult to do what he wants to do. His great love is browsing in bookshops, so that’s the worst time to distract him! It’s just a matter of being considerate.

FM
Forum Moderator

Postby Gold Usher on January 15th, 2010, 4:31 am

I can certainly understand not wishing to be distracted while browsing the shelves in the book shop...
My partner has to nearly drag me out of the used book shop we print bookmarks for if I go on delivery with him.
Guaranteed there's a small loss of profit if I'm tagging along :D

Now the big question would be...what section does Tom linger in the most or topics he reads? " Rustic" landscaping of the mid-late 19th century? Pets and their care? The current fiction books?
Gold Usher

Postby biddenden_sue on January 15th, 2010, 7:28 am

@ Forum Moderator: Sincere thanks to you and Tom for taking the time to answer my query.

I think I'll remain content with grinning back at him whenever we pass and let him continue with normal life while out shopping. You never know though, one day he may recognise me and say hello first!

Now there's a thought! :D
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. Douglas Adams.
biddenden_sue

Postby Gold Usher on January 15th, 2010, 1:59 pm

Now that would be a novel approach :lol: Bidden_Sue

Speaking of book shops...I wonder if he's ever read "The Skipper's Wooing" by W.W. Jacobs. Not the most current book on the market unless it's 1897 but it has a decided twist of humor Tom might enjoy.
Gold Usher

PreviousNext

Return to The man himself