comic books

Talk about the films you're seeing, programmes you're watching and books you're reading.

Moderator: Moderator

comic books

Postby tch on May 7th, 2011, 9:21 pm

So, any comic readers out there?

Since it's 'Free Comic Day', it got me wondering, if anyone else on the boards shares my addiction.

Feel free to jump in, if you read any or have any questions, as I read a ton of them and will talk about them with the least bit of prompting( ask my wife).
and to stay on topic with this board, are people aware of the huge amount of Doctor Who comics out there?
tch

Re: comic books

Postby philipdalton on November 23rd, 2012, 9:15 pm

I used to have a Doctor Who annual when I was a child with Tom's face on the cover & there were some comic strips in that, also used to read the Dandy.
“Oh yeah, you really got me now, you've got me so I don't know what I'm doing"
philipdalton

Postby Betty on November 27th, 2012, 2:24 am

I remember I used to love Asterix when I was a kid. Then I discovered Corto Maltese. Then I got too lazy to read all those tiny letters and so I moved to audio books ;)
"Once, I was a real turtle"
Betty

Postby bonita4k2p on March 2nd, 2013, 11:12 pm

I used to read Archie, Richie Rich, Beetle Bailey, Blondie, Disney (Uncle Scrooge, Donald Duck, Mickey Mouse for example) comics of various types, Warner Bros and Peanuts. The more recently published ones, For Better or For Worse, Lost in Space, Space Family Robinson, B.C., Peanuts and more. Sometimes, I still read some comics. :mrgreen:
bonita4k2p

Postby tch on March 3rd, 2013, 1:16 am

Good choice on the Corto Maltease! Love that series, wish I could track down more volumes.

For any Who fans that are also comic fans, IDW is launching 'Prisoners of time', a mini series that will features all 11 Doctors.
They are also doing a decent series featuring current Doctor, Matt Smith which is pretty entertaining as well as collections of the older comics.

For the Tom fans in the audience, his run is mostly art by the great Dave Gibbons and has K-9 as the regular companion.
tch

Postby Captain Rum on March 4th, 2013, 5:42 am

I've always loved comics, way too many to mention here, but the ones which really caught my imagination were the comics by DC back in 1978, especially "Justice League Of America" and "Green Lantern". Along with watching Tom as The Doctor made for lots of daydreaming in the 70s about going into space and meeting various aliens :D Over the years I've had to get rid of some of my collections, but my favourite ones will never leave me! I still buy them and read everyone one, collections should be read and not just collected. Tv and reading are my way of escaping the rat-race! :P
"Aaaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhhh....me laddie!"

"You damned courtiers to the Queen, you're nothing but lap dogs to a slip of a girl!"

Hope to meet a nautical cove or two online to chat about Tom, "Who", etc :-)
Captain Rum

Location: Yeovil....but only when my Tardis needs an overhaul.

Postby Who dat? on March 6th, 2013, 11:05 pm

I have all 8 issues of the "Star Trek: The Next Generation/Doctor Who: Assimilation2" comic. They're a bit on the strange side but anything with Doctor Who is worth taking a look at. Mr. Tom makes an appearance in the series too. I still need the Forbidden Planet variant cover of issue #1 if anybody has an extra.
Doctor: "I'm Lord President, and I'm called sir."
Who dat?

Postby tch on January 19th, 2014, 4:07 am

With Matt Smith leaving, IDW has wrapped up his run on the DW comics with a really fun four-parter and a really disappointing annual.

Now it's been announced that the BBC is not renewing IDW's deal.
Wonder what will happen to the Doctor Who comic now.
Along with the new stories IDW was doing a ton of reprints of the past Doctor comics and I was enjoying being able to fill the holes in my collection.

Even if another publisher gets the rights it'll be months ( if ever) until we see a new DW comic as they will wait till the Capaldi episodes air.

I can feel withdrawal creeping in as I type. No new episodes and I'm running out of comics. Gonna be a long wait.
tch

Postby Captain Rum on January 20th, 2014, 3:23 am

I've still got the first 10 or so issues of Doctor Who Weekly, think the transfers are still there too :D This is a bit late (my Tardis isn't the most reliable) but I did go to Free Comic Book Day last year and it was great fun, problem is I tend to be the oldest person in the shop each time I go to my local! When I was a kid and went to comic shops it used to be full of men my age (41) and not many kids, so I'm glad that people of all ages now go, and that the comic book addiction is passed on through the (re)generations :D
"Aaaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhhh....me laddie!"

"You damned courtiers to the Queen, you're nothing but lap dogs to a slip of a girl!"

Hope to meet a nautical cove or two online to chat about Tom, "Who", etc :-)
Captain Rum

Location: Yeovil....but only when my Tardis needs an overhaul.

Return to TV, Film, Books and Music