The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot

Postby Theta Sigma on December 2nd, 2013, 12:22 am

Written and directed by Fifth Doctor Peter Davison, The Five(ish) Reboot is a comedy spoof that looks at the efforts of mainly Davison, Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy to try to get a part in the 50th anniversary Doctor Who special The Day of the Doctor.
There are also cameos from other Who luminaries while showrunner and The Day of the Doctor writer Steven Moffat has a substantial role here as he is the one the aforementioned Doctors are trying to convince to insert into The Day of the Doctor.
McCoy sure rubbed it in of how him being in The Hobbit made him a big shot. In fact Peter Jackson himself has a cameo here and I am sure that Jackson being a fan himself was quite happy to do this cameo for free.

Funny how John Barrowman merchandise can be used as currency.
In the end, Davison, Colin Baker and McCoy do get a part in The Day of the Doctor but not in quite the way they had been expecting or hoping for. It was also amusing on their reaction to the current TARDIS interior.
The Five(ish) Doctors is a jolly good romp of amusement and complement wells with The Day of the Doctor.
Theta Sigma

Re: The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot

Postby Graceful Leonard on December 2nd, 2013, 12:34 am

Theta Sigma wrote:McCoy sure rubbed it in of how him being in The Hobbit made him a big shot.

I wonder what panto he's appearing in this Christmas.

I haven't watched this though, because I don't generally like send-ups ... the Comic Relief sketches being another example. The more fantastical a concept, the straighter you need to play it, in my opinion. I know this wasn't strictly speaking part of the regular show, but still.

All that said, I'm glad the BBC did put some real effort into commemorating a show they abandoned for so long.
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Postby NICHLOAS R on December 2nd, 2013, 12:39 am

"yes I liket this aswell esp how they worked tom into it on the phone I hope they have put it on the dvd of the day of the doctor shame you could only watch this on the red button . did any one see toms interview on the after party on bbc 3 this was good. :D
NICHLOAS R

Postby tch on December 2nd, 2013, 1:25 pm

This was cute.
Nice the amount of people they got to take part in it, just so they could make fun of them.

Colin and Sylvester made a great double act. They should do something together.
Good to know that in Cardiff Barrowman CDs can be used as currency.
Didn't we all suspect that action figures were involved in Moffatt's writing process?
Really liked the scene in the console room, where the three Doctors compare it to the old one.
Loved the scene with Colin and his daughters!

All in all, it was entertaining and worth a look.
tch

Postby tracy on December 2nd, 2013, 2:59 pm

yes i saw toms interview on the afterparty show thought id watch it to see if tom would be there i loveed toms interview tomtastic :)
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby Gordon on December 28th, 2013, 8:00 am

I agree with a previous poster - I don't generally like send-ups. BUT remember Dimensions in Time which brought so many of the cast together (including Jon & Nick) and "Timecrash" with Peter and David. These things are not all bad and good on the Moff for giving Peter a decent budget to do his thing this time...and one which he had written. I thought it was brilliant - and a fitting addition to the anniversary......almost as good as "Night of the Doctor" - Oh please...please Mr Moffatt, could that work of art not have been a bit longer? (At least Classic Series episode length)

Gordon
Gordon

Postby Captain Rum on January 15th, 2014, 12:43 am

I thought it was fantastic, they pitched it just right, sending themselves up but doing it in a funny way. As a 40-something who's not much of a fan of Nu-Who it certainly made me laugh...and I hope it comes out on dvd! :D :D
"Aaaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhhh....me laddie!"

"You damned courtiers to the Queen, you're nothing but lap dogs to a slip of a girl!"

Hope to meet a nautical cove or two online to chat about Tom, "Who", etc :-)
Captain Rum

Location: Yeovil....but only when my Tardis needs an overhaul.

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years