Tom Baker's Doctor returned on the 50th anniversary

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Tom Baker's Doctor returned on the 50th anniversary

Postby Gordon on December 28th, 2013, 7:10 am

Peter is such a lifelong fan that I have no doubt he will play the Doctor as a combination of all (with an emphasis on his favourite). Matt started with Pat but then made it his own. But what better an actor to take the Doctor forward.....oh......and (hopefully) back!
Gordon

Postby MCH on December 28th, 2013, 2:09 pm

Back to Galifrey !
MCH

Postby NICHLOAS R on January 3rd, 2014, 2:53 am

"tom stole the show we loved it much better than the Christmas show any one like Sherlock. wish tom had a camo in Sherlock. :D
NICHLOAS R

Postby tracy on January 5th, 2014, 3:52 pm

yes they should ask tom if he wants a cameo in sherlock if he wants to that is then id watch it to see tom in it :D
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby Gordon on January 12th, 2014, 8:39 am

The Day of the Doctor was just so good......on a number of levels. I'm not an emotional person, but Tom's appearance at the end brought a tear to the eye - and there were a few other folk in the room reaching for their hankies. Many, many thanks, Tom for agreeing to take part. I think that you may be God, after all!!!!!

Best wishes,
Gordon
Gordon

Postby tony ingram on April 8th, 2014, 7:00 pm

Graceful Leonard wrote:
Danny Fullbrook wrote:
As for those worried about gravitas, maybe it's because I'm younger than Smith and Tennant they've always managed to resonate with me. Moffat has already said that Capaldi will be dark and hard to like, though in his first episode he will intentionally act like Matt Smith. After that he'll be more in line with The First Doctor than the last two. The rumour is that Series 8 will be dark and gothic like Tom's second and third series. I think from the brief clip of Capaldi in last nights episode shows how dark he will be. So much gravitas and power from just a shot of some eyes :shock: I think he has the potential to be The Fourth Doctor of the modern series, regarding popularity and acclaim. Numerically he is the Fourth Doctor of the modern series :lol:

I'm glad you enjoy Smith and Tennant, Danny, and I do think it probably has something to do with age and the era of the show the viewer grew up with.

I hope you're right about Capaldi's doctor being darker. Perhaps it's because I'm older that what I now want from the show is something more sophisticated and 'adult'...and a little more pathos. I hope that they can find a balance between that and keeping the younger fans happy as well.
I'm 44 and grew up with Tom Baker's Doctor, and I've loved the last four years, at least (never did like David Tennant's Doctor, though).

Tom's guest appearance was the icing on the cake in a brilliant anniversary episode, for me.
tony ingram

Previous

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years