Tom Baker's Doctor returned on the 50th anniversary

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Tom Baker's Doctor returned on the 50th anniversary

Postby Danny Fullbrook on November 24th, 2013, 2:30 pm

Graceful Leonard wrote:I hope that they can find a balance between that and keeping the younger fans happy as well.

Hear hear :)
Danny Fullbrook

Postby MCH on November 24th, 2013, 2:47 pm

Thank you Danny. I watched the part for the third time where Hurt regenerates and I still can't tell for sure who's eyes those are. But it would make sense that it would be Ecclestons. I just can't see it. Maybe I need to clean my glasses, eh ?

Graceful Leonard why do you torture yourself so. If the new Who is such a disappointment for you then why do you watch it ? There must be something that keeps you coming back for more. Isn't that good enough for now ? I'm just glad that the show is still airing with new episodes to come. Some bits I like better then others but it is the whole package that draws me in. I'm not by any means young and I enjoy the younger Doctors as well as the older ones. And why should a "good" Doctor be one that is so serious and dark and like an old wisdoned sage ? The Doctor has lived over a thousand years and has the time vortex in his head 24/7. I think that would bring out all kinds of different character traits.
MCH

Postby Graceful Leonard on November 24th, 2013, 3:58 pm

MCH wrote:Graceful Leonard why do you torture yourself so. If the new Who is such a disappointment for you then why do you watch it ? There must be something that keeps you coming back for more.

I haven't watched the regular show since the early days of Tennant (apart from Lis Sladen's appearances). And as I mentioned, I thought Ecclestone was pretty good--'The Last Dalek' was superb, for example. I absolutely had to watch the 50th anniversary show because I am still a fan of aspects of the programme, and the classic series, and I grew up loving it.

MCH wrote:I'm just glad that the show is still airing with new episodes to come.

I completely agree. That's why I'm pleased that viewers enjoy Tennant/Smith, even though those two (or more precisely the direction the show took during their eras) are not for me.

MCH wrote:And why should a "good" Doctor be one that is so serious and dark and like an old wisdoned sage ? The Doctor has lived over a thousand years and has the time vortex in his head 24/7. I think that would bring out all kinds of different character traits.

Maybe he shouldn't be serious and dark. All I'm really saying is that the style of Dr Who I personally want to see now is one that is far more nuanced and sophisticated than it has grown to be. I never want to see a doctor who treats the enemy or threat as a joke. I don't want to see writing and editing that assumes the audience has the attention span of a fruit fly. When comedy occurs, I want it to have the kind of pathos, bathos etc, that Tom brought to it.
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Postby tracy on November 24th, 2013, 5:13 pm

yes i saw the episode last night and the best bit was saved till last and thats seeing tom which is tomtastic :D
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby Wonkakid on November 24th, 2013, 11:36 pm

I like how the explosion heard towards the end was very much like (if not identical to) the explosion at the end of the DW closing credits, circa 1981. Anyone else think that?

Tom's part was the best. But I like that DW has a new direction in which to head.

Rob
Wonkakid

Postby Wonkakid on November 24th, 2013, 11:50 pm

Generally, bringing the Zygons in seemed a tip of the hat to the classic series but otherwise unnecessary. Discarding that storyline wouldn't detract from the overall story. Indeed, it likely would have helped it. During the classic era of Who, the stories were simpler, more cohesive. Just sayin'.

Rob
Wonkakid

Postby Graceful Leonard on November 25th, 2013, 12:11 am

Wonkakid wrote:Generally, bringing the Zygons in seemed a tip of the hat to the classic series but otherwise unnecessary. Discarding that storyline wouldn't detract from the overall story. Indeed, it likely would have helped it. During the classic era of Who, the stories were simpler, more cohesive. Just sayin'.

Rob

Completely agree. The narrative was pretty disjointed. I understand they wanted to get in a lot of stuff to please the fans, so it was always going to be difficult. It's almost as though they sat down and drew up a list of what they thought the fans would most like to see, then tried to find a way to string it together.

One other very obscure reference I noticed was when Tennant comments about redecorating the tardis, and saying he didn't like it. Troughton did the same in The Three Doctors, but he did it in a brilliantly offhand aside, with exquisite timing. Tennant mugged for the camera. Compare the two and that sums up what I disliked about last night's show.
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Postby tch on November 25th, 2013, 12:39 am

While I enjoyed the 'You've redecorated...?" line, I was more impressed that we got a Tardis with 'those round things' and Tennant comment about how he loves them.

I've been missing the 'round things' in the new Tardis' design and glad they came back.

anyone else watch the scene where John Hurt takes out his sonic screw driver and think 'Now,he's the Doctor!"
tch

Postby Dlgulley on November 25th, 2013, 1:57 am

It was great seeing Tom Baker return, the old guard's still got it ;)
Dlgulley

Postby bcm77 on December 4th, 2013, 6:13 pm

I had no intrest in watching "Day of the Doctor" in it's entirety but I made a point of finding Tom's scene on Youtube and thought it was nice.
"I'm not a human being........I'm a Time Lord. I walk in eternity"
bcm77

PreviousNext

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years