Tom Baker's Doctor returned on the 50th anniversary

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Tom Baker's Doctor returned on the 50th anniversary

Postby MCH on November 23rd, 2013, 10:17 pm

I am happy beyond words that Tom Baker appeared on the 50th anniversary episode of Doctor Who. Oh, I feel like dancing and singing. WooHoo !!!
MCH

Re: Tom Baker's Doctor returned on the 50th anniversary

Postby Graceful Leonard on November 24th, 2013, 12:09 am

Well, I've managed to watch the first 30 mins and I hate what I'm seeing. John Hurt is fine, but Tennant and Smith are playing it like a dumbed down Comic Relief sketch. Since when did the show turn into a sci-fi sitcom?

I'll save the rest for tomorrow ... at least I can look forward to seeing Tom and hope that it improves.

Earlier I watched An Adventure in Space and Time. Excellent, and as far as I'm concerned, this is what Dr Who is about.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p01kqt9x/An_Adventure_in_Space_and_Time/

I'm sorry. I must just be getting very, very old.
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Postby Danny Fullbrook on November 24th, 2013, 1:50 am

I've grown up with New-Who and Classic-Who so I've never had a problem with Tennant and Smith. They are the hyper Doctors. It's just the characteristic, Tennant wins all the "best Doctor polls" these days so it must work for us kids. I say that, I'm twenty now.

Wasn't the Tom part so lovely? I was so happy. Tom's appearance and the Capaldi brief appearance were both perfect. All The Doctors coming together was perfectly done.

A great episode.
Danny Fullbrook

Postby Theta Sigma on November 24th, 2013, 2:51 am

I guess the appearance of that scarf was the indicator that he was going to be there maybe that is where that girl got it from.
Theta Sigma

Postby jaybee on November 24th, 2013, 4:14 am

For me, it was the BEST Doctor Who episode ever! And I'm a big fan of the classic as well as the new.

Seeing Tom at the end was a special treat for us "old folks". He was perfectly on form and he's still THE Doctor! Well done, Tom. Well done, Mr. Moffatt.

This episode answered a lot of the "up in the air" loose ends for me, most of all the significance of Bad Wolf. Now we know who (or what) Bad Wolf is.
jaybee

Postby Betty on November 24th, 2013, 4:37 am

Best episode since the new show. I was happy with it on so many levels. I managed to watch it twice this night. And now I'm finally off to bed!
"Once, I was a real turtle"
Betty

Postby MCH on November 24th, 2013, 5:11 am

Jaybee, I thought bad wolf was in reference to bad wolf bay where the Doctor dropped off Rose and the extra Doctor in that other dimension with the Doctor Donna. When Rose had the time vortex energy in her head from looking into the TARDIS she said that she placed the words bad wolf throughout the universe to remind her that she had to go back for the Doctor. I dont know Why the writers decided to make the "moment" machine things "controller" Rose Tyler. If that makes any sense, lol. That version of the Doctor wouldn't have even known her. I was puzzled by that one. Maybe they just wanted her in the episode somewhere. Speaking of loose ends though. It was interesting to finally hear what the Doctor's "promise" was. I wonder though if the beeb will ever tell his name. So, now it's off to find Galifrey i guess. And what was all that about the Queen and the Doctor and her bad breath, etc. ? Ack ! And who did the John Hurt Doctor morph into ? And where did that doctor fall in line with the others? Was he in between Doctors eight and nine ? And if Galifrey survived in a pocket universe then would it make time go haywire if it were returned ? So many questions.
MCH

Postby Graceful Leonard on November 24th, 2013, 12:06 pm

I'm glad the episode seems to have been so widely enjoyed because it keeps the show alive and brings a lot of pleasure to the fans. I just have to accept that it's not for me any more ... or at least Tennant/Smith aren't (Ecclestone was pretty good).

Doctor Who has always had a comedy element, but Smith and Tennant just seemed to turn the Zygons into a laugh with their men in rubber suits comment and idiotic schoolboy phallic sonic screwdriver quips.

Also, why is it cut so that hardly a single shot lasts more than a few seconds ... like a trailer for a bad video game? If you have a brilliant actor like John Hurt, then give him space! It came across as though they're aiming for an audience of 6 year olds.

I really hope that Capaldi's doctor brings more gravitas and a better balance of drama with occasional comic touches.

Update: Ok, I've watched the rest. Tom was brilliant, subtle, and very moving. His performance was everything that I found lacking in the rest of it. I'm so glad he did it and, although it's probably far too much to hope, I'd love to see him crop up again in the new series somehow.
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Postby Danny Fullbrook on November 24th, 2013, 2:15 pm

MCH wrote:Jaybee, I thought bad wolf was in reference to bad wolf bay where the Doctor dropped off Rose and the extra Doctor in that other dimension with the Doctor Donna. When Rose had the time vortex energy in her head from looking into the TARDIS she said that she placed the words bad wolf throughout the universe to remind her that she had to go back for the Doctor. I dont know Why the writers decided to make the "moment" machine things "controller" Rose Tyler. If that makes any sense, lol. That version of the Doctor wouldn't have even known her. I was puzzled by that one. Maybe they just wanted her in the episode somewhere. Speaking of loose ends though. It was interesting to finally hear what the Doctor's "promise" was. I wonder though if the beeb will ever tell his name. So, now it's off to find Galifrey i guess. And what was all that about the Queen and the Doctor and her bad breath, etc. ? Ack ! And who did the John Hurt Doctor morph into ? And where did that doctor fall in line with the others? Was he in between Doctors eight and nine ? And if Galifrey survived in a pocket universe then would it make time go haywire if it were returned ? So many questions.

I'll explain some details, I think a lot of people are confused in general. But I'm one of those die-hard New-Who fan so I should be able to help. :geek:

John Hurt Doctor regenerated into Christopher Eccleston at the end (you actually very briefly see John Hurt's eyes morph into Christopher Ecclestons). We've already seen McGann regenerate into Hurt (In a special online-episode featuring McGann). So the logical conclusion is next Hurt goes into Eccleston. I think that shot of all The Doctors looking at Gallifrey was The Doctor finding Gallifrey, I don't think it'll really be mentioned again. As for the Queen Elizabeth bit, throughout the series there were jokes that The Doctor at some point had done the dirty with Queen Elizabeth. It all started in 2006 when The Doctor runs into Queen Elizabeth for the first time and she tries to kill him, he has no idea why as it hasn't happened yet. Fans have been waiting for it for a while, specially when Tennant left the show without it ever being resolved.

As for those worried about gravitas, maybe it's because I'm younger than Smith and Tennant they've always managed to resonate with me. Moffat has already said that Capaldi will be dark and hard to like, though in his first episode he will intentionally act like Matt Smith. After that he'll be more in line with The First Doctor than the last two. The rumour is that Series 8 will be dark and gothic like Tom's second and third series. I think from the brief clip of Capaldi in last nights episode shows how dark he will be. So much gravitas and power from just a shot of some eyes :shock: I think he has the potential to be The Fourth Doctor of the modern series, regarding popularity and acclaim. Numerically he is the Fourth Doctor of the modern series :lol:

But the scene with Tom and Matt was touching. To think that Tom was watching it last night. For the first time. That made it a little bit more special.
Danny Fullbrook

Postby Graceful Leonard on November 24th, 2013, 2:24 pm

Danny Fullbrook wrote:
As for those worried about gravitas, maybe it's because I'm younger than Smith and Tennant they've always managed to resonate with me. Moffat has already said that Capaldi will be dark and hard to like, though in his first episode he will intentionally act like Matt Smith. After that he'll be more in line with The First Doctor than the last two. The rumour is that Series 8 will be dark and gothic like Tom's second and third series. I think from the brief clip of Capaldi in last nights episode shows how dark he will be. So much gravitas and power from just a shot of some eyes :shock: I think he has the potential to be The Fourth Doctor of the modern series, regarding popularity and acclaim. Numerically he is the Fourth Doctor of the modern series :lol:

I'm glad you enjoy Smith and Tennant, Danny, and I do think it probably has something to do with age and the era of the show the viewer grew up with.

I hope you're right about Capaldi's doctor being darker. Perhaps it's because I'm older that what I now want from the show is something more sophisticated and 'adult'...and a little more pathos. I hope that they can find a balance between that and keeping the younger fans happy as well.
Graceful Leonard

Next

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years