Who would be the new Doctor

This is the place for anything which doesn't go anywhere else!

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Who would be the new Doctor

Postby Graceful Leonard on August 4th, 2013, 7:45 pm

Well, I'm delighted to be proved completely wrong. Peter Capaldi is a fine actor, and most definitely over 40.
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Postby Graceful Leonard on September 6th, 2013, 5:01 pm

I saw this BBC article in which Heather Peace says she wants to be the first female Dr Who. I hope they do have a female next. We no longer live in the Dark Ages.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23880292
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Postby Betty on September 6th, 2013, 5:19 pm

Graceful Leonard wrote:We no longer live in the Dark Ages.

Is that a reason to force someone to have a **** change operation? I accept that maybe Timelords are able to regenerate into a different gender, but I've always had the impression that the Doctor was happy to be a boy. I would consider the Doctor regenerating into a woman to be an insult to females and gender equality. These artificial acts actually make matters worse.
"Once, I was a real turtle"
Betty

Postby Graceful Leonard on September 6th, 2013, 5:38 pm

Betty wrote:Is that a reason to force someone to have a **** change operation? I accept that maybe Timelords are able to regenerate into a different gender, but I've always had the impression that the Doctor was happy to be a boy. I would consider the Doctor regenerating into a woman to be an insult to females and gender equality. These artificial acts actually make matters worse.

Why see it as tokenism? There's nothing to suggest (as far as I'm aware), that the Doctor's gender is any more fixed than his visible age, skin colour, personality, and so on. The show has had a patriarchal overtone long enough. More to the point, there are many actresses out there who could bring something new and interesting to the role.
Graceful Leonard

Postby Betty on September 6th, 2013, 6:03 pm

Graceful Leonard wrote:Why see it as tokenism? There's nothing to suggest (as far as I'm aware), that the Doctor's gender is any more fixed than his visible age, skin colour, personality, and so on. The show has had a patriarchal overtone long enough. More to the point, there are many actresses out there who could bring something new and interesting to the role.

Those actresses can either play companions, nemeses, or some other Timeladies, but the Doctor is a man. You wouldn't make MacGyver have a **** change for the sake of supposed "fairness". If the public wants a time-travelling woman from Gallifrey, there is no reason why they shouldn't make a spin-off about one, but leave us the Doctor as he is.
Betty

Postby Graceful Leonard on September 6th, 2013, 6:20 pm

Betty wrote:
Those actresses can either play companions, nemeses, or some other Timeladies, but the Doctor is a man. You wouldn't make MacGyver have a **** change for the sake of supposed "fairness". If the public wants a time-travelling woman from Gallifrey, there is no reason why they shouldn't make a spin-off about one, but leave us the Doctor as he is.

I'm not saying any character should have a s3x change due to fairness! It has nothing to do with positive discrimination.

I am saying that they should be unafraid to cast the best actor for the role, regardless of gender, ethnicity or sexual orientation.
Graceful Leonard

Postby Betty on September 6th, 2013, 6:39 pm

Graceful Leonard wrote:I'm not saying any character should have a s3x change due to fairness! It has nothing to do with positive discrimination.

I am saying that they should be unafraid to cast the best actor for the role, regardless of gender, ethnicity or sexual orientation.

In that case, when they make a movie about Nina Simone, I want Hugh Laurie to play the lead...
Betty

Postby Graceful Leonard on September 6th, 2013, 6:50 pm

Betty wrote:In that case, when they make a movie about Nina Simone, I want Hugh Laurie to play the lead...

Well, feel free. But as far as I know, Nina Simone didn't have any precedents for completely changing age, appearance, personality etc. That said, I only have her greatest hits album, so I'm by no means an expert.

The whole point is that the Doctor is unique in having a long history of dramatic changes, with only a few similarities between different incarnations. There is no reason, therefore, that he must be limited to one gender. In fact, it's not entirely logical.

A question, Betty--let's just say they did cast a female Doctor. Would you give the actress a chance or just stop watching?
Graceful Leonard

Postby Betty on September 6th, 2013, 6:53 pm

Graceful Leonard wrote:A question, Betty--let's just say they did cast a female Doctor. Would you give the actress a chance or just stop watching?

I would stop watching. On the other hand, if they made a spin-off about a Timelady, I would gladly watch it.
Betty

Postby Graceful Leonard on September 6th, 2013, 7:03 pm

Betty wrote:
I would stop watching. On the other hand, if they made a spin-off about a Timelady, I would gladly watch it.

Interesting.

In any case, I think you're safe. I can't see the BBC seriously rocking the boat until things become desperate.
Graceful Leonard

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous