A Dilemma

This is the place for anything which doesn't go anywhere else!

Moderator: Moderator

Re: A Dilemma

Postby Betty on September 4th, 2013, 9:45 pm

philipdalton wrote:Betty & Graceful Leonard; which famous people have you met?

I met with a few smaller celebs through an old painter I do some work for. No trouble there.

Met Glen Hansard when I was in my early teens. It rendered me speechless for the whole duration of the conversation. I was in love with him for the following two weeks. And I'm still too jealous to watch "Once".

Then a Czech soul singer from the 60's (you probably wouldn't know her). I used to listen to her music every day when I was 3-5. Then years later, my school invited her to give a talk, after which a lot of pupils went to shake her hand. I must say, I was probably thrown off by the fact that she didn't seem to like my generation very much (we have it too easy, apparently) , but that doesn't excuse the fact that I made a fool of myself.

But the worst so far was my meeting with our beloved Tom last spring. I was having a panic attack. I probably didn't look like I was having one, but my heart was racing, and the words coming out of my mouth seemed like they were said by someone else, because I had no power over it. It meant that I didn't explain my thoughts properly, which probably led to a misunderstanding of my meaning. And I didn't even get to tell him how much I like him. He had a very strange look in his eyes when he squeezed my hand at the end. I'm hoping that it was a mixture of amusement and disbelief, but I seriously hope that he doesn't remember me.
"Once, I was a real turtle"
Betty

Postby Graceful Leonard on September 4th, 2013, 10:05 pm

philipdalton wrote:Betty & Graceful Leonard; which famous people have you met?

Writers and musicians of the late 70s early 80s punk and rock/pop scene mostly. Very well known within their genre but unless you have an interest in that era, their names probably wouldn't mean much. I've met, very fleetingly, more recent celebs but I almost always fail to recognise them; I only find out because someone tells me who it is I've been rude to when drunk.

Oh, I did have a chat with Terence Dicks once, though I'm not sure he's famous exactly, but since this is a Dr Who related thing . . .
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Postby philipdalton on September 4th, 2013, 11:51 pm

Gary Barlow and Bob Carolgees (of 'Spit the Dog' fame) both used to live not far from me. I've never met the first person mentioned but have spoken to the latter on a couple of occasions.
I've seen Michaela Strachan at a zoo but didn't speak to her.
I saw Dave Hill from Slade at an assembly of Jehovah's Witnesses held at a football ground and told him I recognized him from a 'Glam Rock' video I used to have.

One of my closest friends has met pop singer Matt Munro in a pub and also seen a girl singer from The Corrs.
“Oh yeah, you really got me now, you've got me so I don't know what I'm doing"
philipdalton

Postby mikotyk on September 5th, 2013, 2:23 am

I have the scarf. I just need the coat and hat. ;)
Someday, my ship will come in, but with my luck, I'll be stranded at the airport!
mikotyk

Postby philipdalton on September 9th, 2013, 6:15 pm

mikotyk wrote:I have the scarf. I just need the coat and hat. ;)

The thing is, even if you did dress as the Fourth Doctor, what percentage of passers by would be likely to know who you were dressed as? How many years has it been now since Tom played the Doctor? I think I'd only just gone up to high school when he finished playing this role, and I'm 43 now. Even back in the day only a certain percentage of the population were knowledgeable about 'Doctor Who' anyway, and a large proportion of them were children.
They would've said "Mum, look at that silly man over there walking around dressed as 'Doctor Who' with that long scarf and that wig and hat".
It's only the most famous of pop or movie stars who have need of a bodyguard, many artists who've had records in the charts these days could safely walk round anywhere in the streets and no-one would even know who they were.
If the Beatles hadn't achieved the extreme fame they did do John Lennon would never have been shot, it does really go to show that there is an element of danger in being in the public eye.
“Oh yeah, you really got me now, you've got me so I don't know what I'm doing"
philipdalton

Postby bonita4k2p on September 14th, 2013, 6:50 am

Betty wrote:
bonita4k2p wrote:I wear a long scarf every winter. Scarves are nice and warm on those cold days!

Does it look anything like the Doctor's? :)

No, I couldn't find scarves that look like that but they are long and warm enough!
bonita4k2p

Postby bonita4k2p on September 14th, 2013, 7:19 am

I have met several authors at mystery author conventions. I have several autographed books that they have written.

:mrgreen:
bonita4k2p

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous