Now, a Tom Baker-related Dilemma

This is the place for anything which doesn't go anywhere else!

Moderator: Moderator

Now, a Tom Baker-related Dilemma

Postby Graceful Leonard on August 31st, 2013, 11:41 am

Medical science is advancing at an incredible/frightening rate.

If in the near future the BBC announced that they were going to clone Tom Baker circa 1975 and have him take over the role of the doctor again, would you support it or be against it?

(let's assume for the sake of the question that the genuine Mr Baker had no interest in the matter either way).
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Re: Now, a Tom Baker-related Dilemma

Postby Betty on August 31st, 2013, 11:55 am

You just made tea & milk spill out of my nostrils. I really don't think the BBC would do that. But some strange group of hardcore fans might. I would be against it. A clone looks the same and might have some similar traits, but looking at what makes a person really themselves, it's all about life experiences, so a clone can never be the same or even close. A healthy dose of nostalgia can be nice, but we should look towards the future and not the past.
"Once, I was a real turtle"
Betty

Postby tracy on August 31st, 2013, 2:17 pm

i some how dont think even tom would like that idear even me being a tom fan wouldnt like things to be messed with some how i things thnigs would be left as they are :)
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby tch on August 31st, 2013, 7:34 pm

I'd worry that instead someone would crank out a bunch and there'd be roving bands of Toms prowling the streets, forcing jelly babies on people, causing traffic jams by stringing their scarves across the highway and playing pranks on Matthew Waterhouse.

I'd prefer some kind of perfected hologram technology so the BBC could get all 11 Doctors all 4 Masters and the Brig for the 50th special.
tch

Postby Graceful Leonard on August 31st, 2013, 9:08 pm

What made me think of this question was the chocolate advert featuring a CGI Audrey Hepburn ... and the earlier car ad featuring Steve McQueen. OK, so they weren't clones, but it's kind of creepy, don't you think?

I can definitely see a time in the near future where 'resurrected' stars are, thanks to technology, at the beck and call of programme makers.

That said, I think we're safe with Tom. He is far too unpredictable to replicate faithfully!
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Postby philipdalton on August 31st, 2013, 9:29 pm

What about that ad featuring the 'resurrected' Bob Monkhouse? His son couldn't bear to watch it.
“Oh yeah, you really got me now, you've got me so I don't know what I'm doing"
philipdalton

Postby Graceful Leonard on September 1st, 2013, 9:06 pm

philipdalton wrote:What about that ad featuring the 'resurrected' Bob Monkhouse? His son couldn't bear to watch it.

I don't remember that advert, but I can well imagine it must have been very difficult for his son.
Graceful Leonard

Postby Captain Rum on September 3rd, 2013, 12:50 pm

Watching the dvds, especially the ones with Tommentary makes it feel like a clone in a way, in that I've watched them so many times, while my 4th doctor 6ft cutout looks down at me, his eyes following me wherever I go :shock: :D
"Aaaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhhh....me laddie!"

"You damned courtiers to the Queen, you're nothing but lap dogs to a slip of a girl!"

Hope to meet a nautical cove or two online to chat about Tom, "Who", etc :-)
Captain Rum

Location: Yeovil....but only when my Tardis needs an overhaul.

Postby Graceful Leonard on September 6th, 2013, 4:58 pm

Captain Rum wrote:... while my 4th doctor 6ft cutout looks down at me, his eyes following me wherever I go :shock: :D

Not quite everywhere, I hope, Capt. Rum.
Graceful Leonard

Postby Captain Rum on September 8th, 2013, 10:40 am

Not EVERYWHERE...as far as I know :lol:
"Aaaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhhh....me laddie!"

"You damned courtiers to the Queen, you're nothing but lap dogs to a slip of a girl!"

Hope to meet a nautical cove or two online to chat about Tom, "Who", etc :-)
Captain Rum

Location: Yeovil....but only when my Tardis needs an overhaul.

Next

Return to Miscellaneous