A Dilemma

This is the place for anything which doesn't go anywhere else!

Moderator: Moderator

Re: A Dilemma

Postby philipdalton on August 31st, 2013, 11:29 am

Betty wrote:I would go to 1940 to Liverpool and give a certain boy a big hug and tell him that one day, he's going to be the most important man in the universe.

John Lennon :?:
“Oh yeah, you really got me now, you've got me so I don't know what I'm doing"
philipdalton

Postby Betty on August 31st, 2013, 11:48 am

philipdalton wrote:John Lennon :?:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Jesus Christ and his mother Mary! I'll give you a clue: He was around 6 in 1940, and these days he has an internet forum, and we're all on it.
"Once, I was a real turtle"
Betty

Postby philipdalton on August 31st, 2013, 11:59 am

Yes of course!! How thick of me. I forgot that Tom was brought up in Liverpool. The thing that made me think of John Lennon was that he was born in 1940, and I suppose you could give a baby a hug, but I'm not entirely sure if he was living in Liverpool at that particular time anyway.
philipdalton

Postby Betty on August 31st, 2013, 12:12 pm

philipdalton wrote:Yes of course!! How thick of me. I forgot that Tom was brought up in Liverpool.

Well, it's true that I could have made it a little clearer. Anyway, having a real-life TARDIS would be so great. I'm just afraid that I would mess things up terribly history-wise. The whole of Europe would probably end up speaking Welsh or something with me behind the TARDIS console. That actually doesn't sound too bad... :twisted:
Betty

Postby philipdalton on August 31st, 2013, 1:19 pm

MCH wrote:I would want to see the natural wonders of this world in pristine condition. Maybe see some dinosaurs.

Have you ever heard of David H. Boyle, that bloke who runs the Doctor Who exhibition at Blackpool? He also runs a Conspiracy Theories exhibition as well, which is all about the supposed relationship between humans and extraterrestrial beings. His belief is that the universe was created by some sort of a 'consciousness' (whatever that is, personally I'd call it God) and that we are genetically engineered from a lion and an ape (the Sphinx is supposedly supposed to represent the lion).
He also claims to have had encounters with extraterrestrial life and also to have used some method or another to travel back to the time of the dinosaurs. To be perfectly honest, I think he's one of the most unusual people I've ever met, although quite a few people would no doubt say that about me.
philipdalton

Postby philipdalton on September 3rd, 2013, 3:37 pm

Betty wrote:Good point. Personally, I consider my hair to be extremely private. I don't even let hairdressers touch it. So basically, if anyone wants to see me wash my hair, he'll have to marry me first. It's something money can't buy.

I'm my mother's hairdresser as I'm often washing her hair in the sink as she is unable to do it herself. But I owe it to her really. When I was a lad I spent many a happy time with my head leaning over a bowl while my mum gave it a good wash. She thought it was a bit strange once that I insisted on having the blind pulled down while she was doing so when in the hairdresser's they have it done in full view of everyone. I suppose I just felt a bit uncomfortable with the next door neighbours finding out that she still washed my hair. But looking back I don't suppose it would've mattered if they'd just happened to look through their window and seen what was going on.
In Wyoming in around about 1920 a young girl actually had her photograph taken by a professional photographer whilst having her hair washed by her mum outside on a camping trip, and she was a teenager. No doubt she would never have anticipated that many years later it would be stored on a Historic Photo Archive for the whole world to see. And then there was that advert for Vosene shampoo which said it was 'good for mums' and showed a woman washing her son's hair in the bath with plenty of lather. If the boy ever went to school he must've been famous there for being seen having his hair washed on the telly as someone on another website told me this ad was run for years. I suppose he might've been paid a little extra pocket money for it though, and don't forget The Nolan Sisters were picked on at school at times because they were on TV, but I suppose they must think it was all worth it in the end.
When my dad was at school slipperings were carried out in front of the whole school in assembly, the idea of this punishment being humiliation. But what about all the kids who've been shown being spanked/caned in films, such as 'Kes' and weren't that bothered about it because they got paid a little extra pocket money. And then in 2004 there was a 16-year-old girl named Hillary Adams who'd just got so sick and tired of her father, who was a judge, thrashing her with a belt that one day she decided to secretly film him doing it to her. Seven years later she finally had the guts to post it on YouTube, and it's probably just as well I'm not allowed to put the link on here as, believe you me, it isn't pleasant viewing. He has tried to cope out with the humiliation by saying it wasn't as bad as it looked, but I wouldn't know who to take sides with really.
philipdalton

Postby Graceful Leonard on September 3rd, 2013, 11:30 pm

Public humiliation is the 'in' thing.

Big Brother, Britain's Got Talent, X Factor, The Voice, and any number of reality-****-talent-show-fly-on-the-wall vehicles for those desperate for their fifteen minutes of public attention.

Modern culture, the internet, social networking . . . these have led us to believe we are all interesting and worthy of attention. This is not true. Most people need to shut the hell up. Me included. But here you are having to listen to me.
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Postby Betty on September 3rd, 2013, 11:43 pm

Graceful Leonard wrote:Public humiliation is the 'in' thing.

Big Brother, Britain's Got Talent, X Factor, The Voice, and any number of reality-****-talent-show-fly-on-the-wall vehicles for those desperate for their fifteen minutes of public attention.

Modern culture, the internet, social networking . . . these have led us to believe we are all interesting and worthy of attention. This is not true. Most people need to shut the hell up. Me included. But here you are having to listen to me.

So true. And then, we feel disappointed that only three people read our blog instead of feeling grateful for having three really good friends.

I personally get my humiliation from talking to famous people I like & admire. I'm not doing it on purpose. When I'm really nervous, the auto-pilot takes over, and I start saying stupid things. My only consolation is the thought that they probably won't remember me.
Betty

Postby Graceful Leonard on September 4th, 2013, 2:18 pm

Betty wrote:So true. And then, we feel disappointed that only three people read our blog instead of feeling grateful for having three really good friends.

Far better to have your select, discerning readership, I think. If you've ever read the kind of comments that are posted on most YouTube videos, you know why!

Betty wrote:I personally get my humiliation from talking to famous people I like & admire. I'm not doing it on purpose. When I'm really nervous, the auto-pilot takes over, and I start saying stupid things. My only consolation is the thought that they probably won't remember me.

The fact that you say that leads me to think that you are probably among the more sensitive and intelligent people they meet. I have a strange superiority complex that kicks in when I'm around famous people. I can't help it. Some of them find it unusual and charming; others get terribly upset.
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Postby philipdalton on September 4th, 2013, 8:17 pm

Betty & Graceful Leonard; which famous people have you met?
philipdalton

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous