Lord of the Rings

See TV, Film & Theatre section for details of Tom's other roles.

Moderator: Moderator

Lord of the Rings

Postby Ronald on December 12th, 2009, 2:09 am

While surfing the net the other day, I found an old article from a few years ago that stated that Tom was Peter Jackson's original choice to play Gandalf in the movie series. However, it stated that he did not wish to make the long commitment in New Zealand. But, now, no matter what I put in the google bar, I can't find the article again! Has anyone else read of this rumor? Also, I thin he would be perfect for Radagast the Brown in The Hobbit if PJ decides to include him interacting with Gandalf.

Ron
Ron

Brandon, FL
Ronald

Re: Lord of the Rings

Postby merlinsseer on December 12th, 2009, 6:29 am

In the Doctor Who section of this site they have D.W. magazine interviews and in issue 291 from 2000 it does say that someone proposed a 15 month big film project in New Zealand to Mr. Baker. It does not say who proposed it or for what film.
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
merlinsseer

Postby Ronald on December 12th, 2009, 1:31 pm

Well, the time frame sure fits, it is very possible. As much as I loved those movies, if Tom had been in it....WOW!
Ron

Brandon, FL
Ronald

Postby pattie anne on December 12th, 2009, 6:27 pm

And THAT is exactly the reason I have never seen, nor ever plan on ever seeing the films They should have thrown so much money at HIM, and offered so many perks, that HE just couldn't refuse. HE would have been absolutely perfect in the role.
"And as for Tom Baker, well, I'll always be the Doctor,
won't I?" TOM BAKER
pattie anne

Postby Ronald on December 12th, 2009, 8:10 pm

As comfortable as Tom seams to be in his home, I don't think any amount of money would have convinced him to take an 18 month job in New Zealand! The movies are great as they are, but if Tom had been in them........I would not watch anything else...well, maybe some Doctor Who.

Oh, and I got Part 3 of Hornet's Nest today, so, I will go away now and listen to it!
Ron

Brandon, FL
Ronald

Postby pattie anne on December 13th, 2009, 2:47 am

Private jet home for the weekends ... 25% of the profits ... they just didn't want HIM bad enough. So they obviously didn't need me to be a fan of their project either. ;)
won't I?" TOM BAKER
pattie anne

Postby Toothy Grin on December 14th, 2009, 12:13 pm

I've read that it wasn't actually Gandalf he was offered, but a smaller, more minor role. It's true he didn't want to commit to such a long shoot so far away from home though. Also, he'd just done the very Lord of the Rings-ish Dungeons & Dragons and, from what I've heard, not had a particulary enjoyable experience on it.
Toothy Grin

Postby Ronald on December 14th, 2009, 4:48 pm

Toothy Grin wrote:I've read that it wasn't actually Gandalf he was offered, but a smaller, more minor role. It's true he didn't want to commit to such a long shoot so far away from home though. Also, he'd just done the very Lord of the Rings-ish Dungeons & Dragons and, from what I've heard, not had a particulary enjoyable experience on it.

18 months away for a minor role, I could see why he declined.
Ron

Brandon, FL
Ronald

Postby pattie anne on December 19th, 2009, 9:01 pm

Also, he'd just done the very Lord of the Rings-ish Dungeons & Dragons and, from what I've heard, not had a particulary enjoyable experience on it.

Dear Toothie Grin -

Very true. And everything I've read about TOM and HIS experiences RE "D&D" is what you have also uncovered. Except for perhaps, this one following anecdote.

It was related to me in a letter dated 27-09-99. Enjoy. The direct quote follows:

"... in answer to the Eclipse question, I was in Prague when I was in the film "Dungeons & Dragons" I watched the pickpockets at work while the tourists gaped. Very interesting. One man was stripped naked by some very slick operators... He obviously did not feel a thing. But his embarrassment "post eclipse" was much more interesting to me than the event itself. The man was American." Tom Baker

And as I have stated many TIMEs before ... no can tell a tale better than Our Mister TOM. Even when that story is a very 'brief' one.

Best,
pattie anne
won't I?" TOM BAKER
pattie anne

Postby Ronald on December 20th, 2009, 12:12 am

Was the D&D role before he was offered the LotR role? If so, that would explain why he would be reluctant to take a role that far from home for such a long time. And love the Tom story, LOL. Can't you just imagine him saying it!
Ron

Brandon, FL
Ronald

Next

Return to Not Doctor Who - Tom's other roles