A new Doctor...

This is where everyone (Members and the Mods) can post news and announcements to do with the Forum, the Website, or indeed about Tom himself.

Moderator: Moderator

Re: A new Doctor...

Postby Betty on August 5th, 2013, 2:25 pm

Karrit, I think if your colleague has never seen Capaldi perform, then she might not get the right idea from a photo. Most people look worse on a photo than they do in a video or live. Let's wait for the new episodes, and then ask her what she thinks of him. ;)
"Once, I was a real turtle"
Betty

Postby Graceful Leonard on August 5th, 2013, 2:27 pm

In the old days of the classic series, the doctor was always a little older and quirky looking, and the companions provided the eye candy . . . Jamie, Jo Grant, Sarah Jane, Leela etc. I think that's the direction they need to go with Capaldi. Let him do the drama, let the companions tantalise the teens.

Personally, if it were down to me, I would ban the under 16s from watching anything but educational programming, but unfortunately I am not in charge.
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Postby BobF on August 5th, 2013, 4:57 pm

Yes, companion candy is a cert winner. My own dawn of awareness came in the mid 70's when Leela was the companion and I was bowled over. I could not look at any other type of woman except for savage type, skin loin bikini wearing tribals. Fortunately I grew up around the corner from Tom's birthplace in Bootle so I was readily supplied with this type of woman...sweet memories!
BobF

Postby philipdalton on August 6th, 2013, 9:12 pm

I wonder just how many Doctors there will be. When Tom was the Doctor a Time Lord could only regenerate twelve times but with the Time Lords having now been destroyed the Doctor is now free to regenerate an unlimited number of times, and is therefore technically immortal.

Will the BBC re-introduce the twelve times limit back into the series somehow if its ratings go down, or will the series just end anyway as it did back in the Sylvester McCoy era?
“Oh yeah, you really got me now, you've got me so I don't know what I'm doing"
philipdalton

Postby Graceful Leonard on August 7th, 2013, 12:34 pm

philipdalton wrote:I wonder just how many Doctors there will be. When Tom was the Doctor a Time Lord could only regenerate twelve times but with the Time Lords having now been destroyed the Doctor is now free to regenerate an unlimited number of times, and is therefore technically immortal.

Will the BBC re-introduce the twelve times limit back into the series somehow if its ratings go down, or will the series just end anyway as it did back in the Sylvester McCoy era?

My guess would be that they would just drop the show like a hot potato with only the merest consideration for the plot elements if the ratings dive. I doubt they would do something as final as saying the doctor can no longer regenerate because they would want the option to revive it again should it become potentially profitable in the future.
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Postby tch on August 7th, 2013, 5:44 pm

They have made several references that seem to imply that the 12 regeneration law is gone.
I think the idea is that during the Time War, the regeneration rules were altered.

So, I think we'll get as many Doctors as they can as long as the show stays popular.
tch

Postby philipdalton on August 9th, 2013, 10:24 pm

I think the original reason for the 12 times limit being introduced into the plot of the series, (although I'm not quite sure about this), was so that the Master would have to resort to nicking somebody else's body in order to carry on existing. In 'The Deadly Assassin', his body appeared to be horribly burnt, but the actual reason for this was that it was rotting as a result of him reaching the end of his twelfth regeneration. Then, in 'The Keeper of Trakken', he stole the body of Nyssa's father, thus taking on his appearance, and he has changed his appearance several times since then.
“Oh yeah, you really got me now, you've got me so I don't know what I'm doing"
philipdalton

Previous

Return to News and Announcements