A new Doctor...

This is where everyone (Members and the Mods) can post news and announcements to do with the Forum, the Website, or indeed about Tom himself.

Moderator: Moderator

A new Doctor...

Postby BobF on August 4th, 2013, 8:04 pm

Really pleased about the news that Peter Capaldi will be the next Dr Who. He's a fan which I like. I have a good feeling....Still....always be a Tom man myself!!!!
BobF

Re: A new Doctor...

Postby philipdalton on August 4th, 2013, 8:07 pm

Wonder if he'll outdo Tom's stint as the Doctor as far as longevity goes.
“Oh yeah, you really got me now, you've got me so I don't know what I'm doing"
philipdalton

Postby Betty on August 4th, 2013, 8:38 pm

I'm really pleased with their choice. I didn't expect it, but I'm sure he'll do well. He is a good actor and a fan, which I think is really important.
However, that little bit of our beloved Tom in the programme made me realise how much I love the 4th Doctor. You know how re-watching old TV or listening to old music again makes you remember what you felt the first time you watched it / listened to it? These associations are very precious to me, especially those I have with the 4th Doctor. I think I'll need to re-watch some of the old episodes now because I know it will make me feel great, just like the first time.

I know Tom isn't coming here anymore, but if he does happen to stumble upon this thread at some point, I want him to know that he's brilliant. No matter who gets cast as the Doctor in the future, and no matter how much I'll enjoy the new guy's performance, Tom will always be my Doctor. Thank you, Tom!
"Once, I was a real turtle"
Betty

Postby tch on August 4th, 2013, 9:13 pm

Interesting.
He looks good, not too pretty boy and they went for an older Doctor, which was my hope.

Gonna miss Matt, but this guy looks to have potential.
tch

Postby Graceful Leonard on August 4th, 2013, 9:26 pm

Posted this on the other thread, but I'm delighted with the choice. It's time the show grew up a bit. In some ways, he's a little like a younger John Hurt.

I predict, however, that they will struggle with the ratings once the regen is over because lots of younger viewers will not want to watch what they consider to be a old man. They won't want to buy action figures with wrinkles.
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Postby Betty on August 4th, 2013, 9:31 pm

I have good faith that he'll easily win over the younger viewers.
"Once, I was a real turtle"
Betty

Postby BobF on August 4th, 2013, 9:31 pm

Trends can be bucked Graceful..but you make a good point! I feel that the quality of the principal actor coupled with the quality of the scripts/storylines will be more of a factor. Telly today is not the telly of the 70's and neither are the audience the same. It will be interesting to see if this is a success story. I do feel positive and hopeful though...
BobF

Postby Graceful Leonard on August 4th, 2013, 9:38 pm

I hope you're both right. It's a bold choice and deserves to succeed.

On a positive note, it may entice some older fans back to the new series who were finding it a bit 'young'. Me for one.
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Postby BobF on August 4th, 2013, 9:46 pm

I agree. It was becoming too fast , over complicated and without substance in parts. The best things are sometimes the most simplest...A fellow blogger wrote this, not me. But I reproduce it for your interest...

Peter Capaldi could act either of the previous two Doctors under the table, and possibly the one before as well - this is fantastic news for the series, they could get some real depth and pathos out of this. Now it's just a question of whether the writing matches up to PC's potential - but this could be the most exciting Who news since the interregnum ended.
BobF

Postby Karrit on August 5th, 2013, 1:05 pm

I am happy with their decision with an older Doctor. Yesterday, I showed his photo to a girl I work with and she went on about him being old and ugly. She's just a teenager, so I can forgive her. However, Peter Capaldi is far from ugly. It's sad though how shallow some people are. I happed to think both Pertwee and Tom Baker are/were handsome. It's about how they carried themselves, not just physical looks. Or maybe I'm not a shallow person.
"Courage isn’t a matter of not being frightened, it’s being afraid and doing what you have to do anyway." - Third Doctor
Karrit

Next

Return to News and Announcements