What was your first computer?

This is the place for anything which doesn't go anywhere else!

Moderator: Moderator

Re: What was your first computer?

Postby philipdalton on June 14th, 2013, 9:27 pm

Apparently the Sinclair ZX80, Clive Sinclair's first home computer, is quite a collector's item now. You can find a link about it on YouTube but unfortunately I can't put it on here.
“Oh yeah, you really got me now, you've got me so I don't know what I'm doing"
philipdalton

Postby bonita4k2p on June 16th, 2013, 8:26 am

My first computer was a 2000 Gateway. I had it for 4 years. They are no longer being made.
bonita4k2p

Postby Meteo Archon on June 29th, 2013, 7:18 am

...Personally, I think older 70s and 80s computers combine that "old, classic" look, with an undeniably technical look, making them among the best in how any more advanced tech should look.

...More obvious, especially as they keep on appearing in pictures and shows/films, as the years go by.
Meteo Archon

Postby philipdalton on July 2nd, 2013, 11:42 am

Meteo Archon wrote:...Personally, I think older 70s and 80s computers combine that "old, classic" look, with an undeniably technical look, making them among the best in how any more advanced tech should look.

...More obvious, especially as they keep on appearing in pictures and shows/films, as the years go by.

What about the Commodore PET, that was certainly an early one, the name stood for Personal Electronic Transactor?

We wouldn't have computers in our home today, or calculators in our pocket, if it hadn't been for the invention of the microprocessor in 1971. That was the event which really revolutionised society. Before that, there were a few experts who built their own computers at home, such as the famous ECHO IV in the sixties.

Today, someone like Bill Gates could have their own computer specially made with an almost unlimited amount of memory.
philipdalton

Postby Meteo Archon on July 3rd, 2013, 11:47 pm

Definitely, most fascinating tidbit, there. And definitely what makes History so useful and interesting at times.
Meteo Archon

Postby philipdalton on July 4th, 2013, 5:12 pm

Meteo Archon wrote:Definitely, most fascinating tidbit, there. And definitely what makes History so useful and interesting at times.

I'm writing a book on the history of computers you see, that's how I know all this stuff.
philipdalton

Postby bonita4k2p on July 4th, 2013, 9:50 pm

Good luck with your book on computers. :)
bonita4k2p

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous