Tom's Doctor and His Companions

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Tom's Doctor and His Companions

Postby Karrit on June 11th, 2013, 1:27 pm

Which did you think had the best chemistry? I can't have an opinion on Leela or his last companion set because I haven't seen much of them. I do adore Tom with Sarah Jane and with Romana II and K9.
"Courage isn’t a matter of not being frightened, it’s being afraid and doing what you have to do anyway." - Third Doctor
Karrit

Re: Tom's Doctor and His Companions

Postby Toothy Grin on June 21st, 2013, 10:28 am

I think the best chemistry was with Lalla Ward's Romana, probably because they were actually in a relationship at the time. I think their rapport came across best in City Of Death and State Of Decay. There was great chemistry between Tom and Elisabeth Sladen's Sarah. There was zero chemistry however, between Tom and Adric, Nyssa & Tegan - I often got the impression that Tom sometimes wanted to throttle Adric!
Toothy Grin

Postby Betty on June 21st, 2013, 11:09 am

Toothy Grin wrote:I often got the impression that Tom sometimes wanted to throttle Adric!

Didn't we all?
"Once, I was a real turtle"
Betty

Postby tracy on June 21st, 2013, 12:22 pm

i liked leela and roamana but tom and lis worked well together :)
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby tch on June 21st, 2013, 3:01 pm

My favorites:

Harry and Sarah
Rommana ( either) and K-9

I think the idea of the Doctor and Adric was interesting, there hadn't been a bachelor Tardis since the Troughton days, but with so much going on story-wise to get ready for Tom leaving and Peter coming on, there was almost no time to give them time to interact.

Plus, the mix of very naive and green Matt Waterhouse and slightly grumpy and ready to leave Tom Baker probably didn't help.
tch

Postby Meteo Archon on June 27th, 2013, 12:42 am

I don't hate Adric, not a whole lot, but he seemed great with Tom Baker, and it was quite understandable that there couldn't have been much, going on there.

All the rest of Tom's Companions were great, and I do give em' Thumbs ups'.

...Anyone tell me about Scarlet.
Meteo Archon

Postby Peterdalek on June 27th, 2013, 1:32 pm

Without a doubt I would say Sarah Jane.

Something magical happened in his first 2 seasons, the elements were, well, just right. The combination of Lis & Tom with Philip Hincliffe as Producer, the stories etc. The alignment, let's say, was perfect.

The chemistry was definately there too, you believed they were best of friends. The magnificence of Tom mixed with the pure, strong hearted beauty of Lis.

Magic, pure beautiful magic. aaahh :D
Peterdalek

Postby tracy on July 1st, 2013, 12:56 pm

opps yes i forget about harry i do beg your pardon apllogies for missing out harry yes tom sarah and harry :)
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby metalheadjay on August 25th, 2013, 9:19 pm

Without a doubt, Sarah Jane(Elisabeth Sladen) and Romana 1(Mary Tamm). They also happen to be my all-time favorite companions. Tom seemed to get along with them best(shame that Mary was only there for 1 season).

His relationship with Louise Jameson(Leela) was very rocky in the beginning and on occasion that was shown on screen. Probably due to him missing Elisabeth. And even though he married Lalla Ward, their relationship was fueled by quite a bit of friction. They would often have rows on set and would not even look or speak to one another. The best example would be on "State Of Decay". Listen to the commentary and notice how Tom barely looks at her at the beginning of the story. He was obviously pissed about something. And Lalla does strike me as someone who could very well get on your nerves. She does mine when she constantly refers to "Doctor Who" as solely a "kid's show". Very annoying and untrue(especially concerning Tom's first 3 seasons, throw "Horror Of Fang Rock" and "Image Of The Fendahl" from the beginning of season 15 in there as well). Certainly NOT designed solely for kid's. Philip Hinchcliffe saw to that as he wanted to make the show more adult when he came on board as producer.

Oh yeah, Harry Sullivan would definitely be in my top 5 Companions as well.
metalheadjay

Postby metalheadjay on August 25th, 2013, 9:26 pm

Here's a good analogy. Saying Tom Baker era "Doctor Who" is for kids is like saying Hammer horror films are solely for kids. Absolutely absurd. Most can understand that there is content there that is certainly NOT designed for young kids. The violence(although not extreme) and the dialogue come to mind.
metalheadjay

Next

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years