New Doctor next year....

This is where everyone (Members and the Mods) can post news and announcements to do with the Forum, the Website, or indeed about Tom himself.

Moderator: Moderator

New Doctor next year....

Postby BobF on June 2nd, 2013, 4:06 pm

So Matt Smith is retiring from the role at the end of this year. I wonder how the next Dr Who will fair?
This reminds me of 1973 when my pals and I had a very heavy discussion in the school playground in Liverpool (we were in 2nd year infants or year 1 in today's money ) about the new bloke after the Spiders had 'done in our Doc!

He turned out to be just fine though..... and took us all right through the rest of primary school! :D
BobF

Re: New Doctor next year....

Postby Graceful Leonard on June 2nd, 2013, 8:54 pm

I wouldn't be surprised to see David Tennent return.

One thing I'm pretty sure of anyway, they won't choose anyone over 45 -- too much of a turn off for the 'Buffy' generation. Not commercial enough.
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Postby tch on June 2nd, 2013, 10:36 pm

Have mixed feelings, as I've grown to love Matt Smith, but also curious as to who comes next.

Doubt we'll ever see a Hartnell Doctor again, but I would like someone older. Or at least, not a cute one.
Maybe another Troughton or McCoy?
I like Tennant, but having him return for a series would be a step backwards. Would be cool if season eight was Clara and the 'forgotten Doctor' from the finale.
tch

Postby Graceful Leonard on June 3rd, 2013, 12:07 pm

tch wrote:Maybe another Troughton or McCoy?

I couldn't think of anything worse than another McCoy. Seriously, a semi-comatose terrapin would be better.

But Troughton? Now you're talking!

My bet is that the actor/actress will be under 35 and physically attractive. I don't think they're brave enough to transgress the age/beauty barrier.
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Postby tracy on June 3rd, 2013, 1:46 pm

even though i dont watch it i hear bits and bobs from others it seems no one will beat toms 7 years .id like to see joanna lumley play the part :)
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby Karrit on June 3rd, 2013, 3:16 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing an older doctor akin to a Pertwee or Troughton. I like some of the younger Doctors (Matt Smith), but the older Doctors had so much charm to them. I always thought Jon was handsome in his own way, and for a 50-something year old, he had an attractive body. And Tom has those amazingly deep blue eyes. Now those are handsome.
"Courage isn’t a matter of not being frightened, it’s being afraid and doing what you have to do anyway." - Third Doctor
Karrit

Postby BobF on June 3rd, 2013, 10:26 pm

Benedict Cummerbund would have been perfect but is enjoying the better Sherlock gig I think....

Sean Pertwee.......hmmmm

Stephen Fry/////hang on..ive been drinking again tsc
BobF

Postby Karrit on June 5th, 2013, 1:43 am

Sean Pertwee looks and sounds similar to his dad. I don't know what kind of Doctor he would be.

One of my friends suggested the actor that played Ron Weasley in the Harry Potter films.
"Courage isn’t a matter of not being frightened, it’s being afraid and doing what you have to do anyway." - Third Doctor
Karrit

Postby Betty on June 8th, 2013, 11:24 pm

I agree that Bandersnatch would be good. Nick Briggs once said that he has a very old look for such a young face, which works very well for the Doctor. But there are many actors that I wouldn't mind in the role, and I would most probably grow to love them as well. I'm just hoping that they will go more towards the intelligent and serious type of Doctor for a while, as there has been a bit too much childish fooling around with Smith. It needs a change. I still think that Bandersnatch would look good next to Clara. Plus he has ginger hair, so it would be perfect.
"Once, I was a real turtle"
Betty

Return to News and Announcements