50th Anniversary: Are they teasing/taunting us?

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Re: 50th Anniversary: Are they teasing/taunting us?

Postby bcm77 on May 3rd, 2013, 12:12 pm

According to an article in the new DWM there's no original Doctors in the 50th Anniversary Special,

Big Finish for the win!
"I'm not a human being........I'm a Time Lord. I walk in eternity"
bcm77

Postby Betty on May 3rd, 2013, 12:16 pm

All the more reason to look forward to the Big Finish anniversary special :)
"Once, I was a real turtle"
Betty

Postby bcm77 on May 4th, 2013, 12:00 am

Betty wrote:All the more reason to look forward to the Big Finish anniversary special :)

Exactly! :D

It may not be quite the same as a TV episode but we'll at least get to hear Tom interacting with some of his later incarnations and the following companions are confirmed to be with each Doctor,

Leela
Nyssa
Peri
Ace
Charley ( One of the 8th Doctor's companions from the audios. )

The following are also confirmed for cameo appearances,

Susan
Ian
Sara
Steven
Polly
Jamie
Zoe
Jo
Tegan
Turlough

It also looks as if Doctors 1-3 are going to be included in some way, Peter Purves does a great imitation of Bill Hartnell and Frazer Hines does a great Pat so I'm assuming they'll be doing the dialogue for Doctors 1 & 2.

In addition to the story itself I'm also looking forward to hearing the interviews from the recording sessions as it's bound to be quite an occasion for everyone who's present.
"I'm not a human being........I'm a Time Lord. I walk in eternity"
bcm77

Postby Betty on May 4th, 2013, 12:18 am

And Katie Manning does a great Jon Pertwee - it's true!
Anyway, I can't wait to listen to it.
Betty

Postby metalheadjay on August 25th, 2013, 8:55 pm

If they don't have at least one classic doctor(Tom should be priority), then it should not be called the 50th Anniversary special. Because it most certainly will not be that. It will be the 8th Anniversary of "NuWho" specifically catered to "Nuvians" alone. It's so disrespectful to the entire history of the show and the old school fans who have made it a success.

If this is the case, the BBC should step in and not allow Moffat to have anything to do with it. Or at least offer him an ultimatum. Tom Baker or step aside.

By the way, it's so refreshing to get an older doctor again and Peter Capaldi is a great choice. Perhaps this is a return to the traditional format that the show was in the 60's and 70's? Would be nice.
metalheadjay

Postby Betty on August 25th, 2013, 11:03 pm

metalheadjay wrote:By the way, it's so refreshing to get an older doctor again and Peter Capaldi is a great choice. Perhaps this is a return to the traditional format that the show was in the 60's and 70's? Would be nice.

Less snogging would certainly be appreciated. They think girls like when there are things between the Doctor and his companions, but the truth is it makes us girls jealous. We want the Doctor for ourselves... :oops: ;)

But I don't think we should be so negative about the new series. The old Doctor Who is finished, and it's never coming back, so we can either ignore the new DW, or we can like it, but I don't think they have any kind of duty to do anything. We should be grateful that there are new episodes. That's what I think.
Betty

Postby metalheadjay on October 7th, 2013, 12:33 pm

Moffat has been revisiting alot of the classic stories for the doctor specials. Perhaps, he thoroughly enjoyed what he saw. Perhaps, he thought it was now a good time to return to that old school, traditional, format. Thus, the choosing of Capaldi as the 12th Doctor. I certainly hope so.

Sorry, Betty. But many of us have been deeply disappointed with "NuWho" and the direction the show has taken. Personally, I rather not see the show at all if this is the type of show they are going to continue producing. But hopefully, for people like me...the show might be returning to form starting on Christmas day of this year. And I say...IT'S ABOUT FREAKING TIME!
metalheadjay

Previous

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years