50th Anniversary: Are they teasing/taunting us?

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

50th Anniversary: Are they teasing/taunting us?

Postby Robert Caligari on April 14th, 2013, 4:13 pm

We're getting Zygons, we're getting "the Scarf", and still no Tom...what the %^*# is going on?!
Robert Caligari

Re: 50th Anniversary: Are they teasing/taunting us?

Postby bcm77 on April 14th, 2013, 4:39 pm

Honestly, who really cares?

The only Doctors that matter to the BBC are blatantly 10 & 11.

The 50th Anniversary is an excuse for everyone involved with Nu-Who to pat themselves on the back about how much better they believe they've made the show whilst making thinly veiled potshots at the wobbly effects and low budget feel of the original run.

Big Finish are the ones keeping the spirit of Classic Who alive and have been doing so since before Nu-Who ever emerged.

In recent years they've provided a platform for Tom to show why he'll forever remain untouchable as the greatest incarnation of the Doctor and their 50th Anniversary story "The Light At The End" will give the Doctors that mattered ie the ones involved in the first 26 years the respect they are due.
"I'm not a human being........I'm a Time Lord. I walk in eternity"
bcm77

Postby Betty on April 14th, 2013, 4:45 pm

I'm starting to be convinced that the anniversary special will be much better than what they want us to think it will be. I think they're keeping things from us on purpose. So the best we can do is wait patiently and be pleasantly surprised. But I agree that the Big Finish anniversary special is making me much more excited.
"Once, I was a real turtle"
Betty

Postby tch on April 14th, 2013, 7:42 pm

The less they tell us the more people talk about it. Everybody gets excited to see what they have planned.

and then ( boring reality reasons) it gets shown with a ( hopefully) huge audience viewing precentage and the BBC says 'Hey, that show is doing pretty good, give them more money'.

Plus, they know that no matter which Doctor actors decide to be involved or not, that whatever reason is, if a Who actor chooses not to be involved Moffat and company will get wailed on and blamed and figure to play it safe, keep it quiet and hold off being (virtually) tarred and feathered as long as they can.

I prefer my first reason, but it's most likely a mix of all three.
tch

Postby NICHLOAS R on April 14th, 2013, 9:40 pm

"new doctor who is over hyped way over hyped last nights story cold war was good very good the return of the ice warriors more like this please after last weeks poor effort another thing about new who is the over use of the sonic screwdriver its like a prop with out it matt smith looks lost jnt bless him got rid of it as it was over used as for the 50th well see we tom fans have terror of the zygons on dvd and big finsh audios to look forward to . :D
NICHLOAS R

Postby tracy on April 15th, 2013, 12:37 pm

its all being kept a secrect and maybe tom cant say any thing yet to weather he is in it or not and you know what they say the best is always kept til last .but even if tom hasnt been asked then its moffet who is loseing out its his lose he knows the fans will want to see tom in the 50th but like i say we have to sit tight on this and wait
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby Betty on April 15th, 2013, 3:13 pm

Well said.
"Once, I was a real turtle"
Betty

Postby tch on April 15th, 2013, 7:29 pm

Much as I want to see all the surviving Doctors brought together ( and K-9!), I know that the reality may be it just can't happen.
Stupid reality.

Between the Tv show, Big Finish and the comics, I think we will get enough to keep us all happy though.
tch

Postby Toothy Grin on April 26th, 2013, 12:39 pm

Apparently it's been reported that the 50th Anniversary will use new technology to enable all the past doctors to appear. Matt Smith's Doctor will be able to interact with the old Doctors by putting him in scenes from old stories. David Tennant will be the only Doctor to appear "in the flesh" as it were. I'm a bit disappointed, but at least viewers old and new will get to see Tom, and all the other Doctors and they will all look as they should do, and not a bunch of old men who bear little resemblance to the Doctors as seen in the classic series.
Toothy Grin

Postby Graceful Leonard on April 30th, 2013, 4:10 pm

Re: Zygons, I hope they make a special effort with the upcoming DVD release -- it's one of the best stories, and perhaps one of the last of Tom's on DVD (not sure).

Re: the anniversary, it's a mixed blessing. If they include the classic series they can't do it without Tom -- it's as simple as that. No one would take it seriously. And even if they do include Tom, chances are we'll have to have some Sylvester McCoy and 'Ace'. It's like a Christmas dinner -- being forced to eat cold and disgusting brussel sprouts before you're allowed the sumptuous pudding.
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Next

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years