Don't Fret! There is Still Time....

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Don't Fret! There is Still Time....

Postby tch on February 16th, 2013, 2:38 pm

They probably just said that because Matt Smith's Doctor is so chatty.

It wasn't an evil master plan, they just wanted to talk without getting interupted, it the box was the only way.
tch

Postby NICHLOAS R on February 17th, 2013, 9:01 pm

"well the good news if what the papers say is true the gig is on and tom is back with the other doctors lets hope its not a blink and you miss tom we cant wait now nick and jan,
NICHLOAS R

Postby metalheadjay on March 12th, 2013, 8:51 am

I hear ya, toothy. If Tom isn't involved in some manner, I won't bother to watch. I may even be hesitant if Tom's role isn't large enough! Personally, I would like just an hour long special with just him. They can put all the other actors(to play the Doctor) in the story with Smith. I don't want to see Tom denigrated to playing a cameo or second fiddle to Matt Smith!(one reason why Tom didn't participate in the "5 doctors" back in '83) Tom IS the Doctor(the definitive article) and should be treated as so in the 50th Anniversary proceedings. As a Classic Who fan, I wouldn't expect less.
metalheadjay

Postby metalheadjay on March 12th, 2013, 9:01 am

Surely Moffat must know that the ratings will be much higher if Tom is involved? And thus that would mean the BBC would be more willing to let Moffat have his way concerning the future of the show. You can't tell me this is not tempting to him. He knows the ramifications of not having Tom involved and knows of the bountiful benefits if he is involved. I'm sure he will do everything in his power to get Tom on board. It's a win win win situation if he does.
metalheadjay

Postby tch on March 23rd, 2013, 7:13 pm

Just a thought:

If the stumbling block to old Doctors appearing is they don't look like they did, maybe something involving multiple universes (Like in the Cybermen two parter) that way, you could use all the actors and not have to worry about them being older, it would be a mix of Doctors from across the multiverse to stop some threat.

Heck, maybe we could even get Colin a different coat.
tch

Postby metalheadjay on March 28th, 2013, 8:03 am

tch:

Heck, maybe we could even get Colin a different coat.
---------------------------------------------

And a good script too! :lol:
metalheadjay

Postby Toothy Grin on March 28th, 2013, 9:12 pm

I'm certainly not expecting Tom to get a major starring role in the anniversary special, Matt Smith is, after all, the current Doctor, also it would be unfair on all the other surviving Doctors if they were relegated to little cameos. It must be really difficult to write an anniversary story and give an equal amount of limelight to all the Doctors. However, Tom is not only the "elder statesman" of Doctor Who but still probably the most iconic, the longest serving and,certainly for older fans the definitive Doctor. If he isn't featured in some way then I will be bitterly disappointed and I also think it would be just plain wrong not to at lest ask Tom to play a part in it (I'm certain he;d agree given the way he's embraced the part again recently with the audios. I even think he could convincingly reprise his role and not look too different given a bit of judicious make up and a bit of hair dye - he's actually aged really well.
Toothy Grin

Postby Betty on March 28th, 2013, 9:30 pm

I really hope they wouldn't make him look younger in it. It wouldn't look natural.
To be perfectly honest, my expectations of the anniversary special are very low. Even with a good script and a 90 minute long episode (which could very well be the case), there is no possible way to make it work. Or maybe there is, in which case I'll be pleasantly surprised. But the fact that it will be in 3D and half animated makes me shiver in terror. Besides, the anniversary specials have always been slightly inferior to any other episode, so it doesn't seem like such a change.
I'm more looking forward to the Big Finish special. That one will surely be epic!
"Once, I was a real turtle"
Betty

Postby Toothy Grin on March 29th, 2013, 12:29 pm

Is it going to be half animated? Maybe they'll have animated past Doctors then and just use the actor's voices - that way they'd still look the same. Can't think of any other way they could do it.
Toothy Grin

Postby Betty on March 29th, 2013, 12:30 pm

Yes, I think that is the general idea.
"Once, I was a real turtle"
Betty

PreviousNext

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years