Latest Xmas Special

Talk about the films you're seeing, programmes you're watching and books you're reading.

Moderator: Moderator

Latest Xmas Special

Postby MrWhat on December 26th, 2011, 11:11 am

Has anyone seen the latest Xmas Special? Has anyone used the word Garbage when discussing it? I have! It would appear that to pack as much as they can into an hour Mr Moffat has decided to just bung any old tripe into it. Then advertise the very bejayzus out of it on Radio, TV, the press and anything else. Very sad to see a much loved character in his various forms, reduced to a.. er no rude words.. a silly character with which it's impossible to empathise or waste time on.

I watched it on IPlayer and had to jump forward to ensure I did not cause myself harm in order to maintain the will to live. Off now to watch Genesis of the Daleks, a fore I take the dog out and then drink a toast or nine :o to memories of Doctors past.
I used to be stupid but I'm all better now.
MrWhat

Re: Latest Xmas Special

Postby MrWhat on December 26th, 2011, 11:16 am

Hope that comment doesn't cause my expulsion nor upset to Mr Moffat (not really bothered about the latter but I thought it would be a suitable comment).
I used to be stupid but I'm all better now.
MrWhat

Postby ThetaSigma on January 1st, 2012, 9:37 pm

Oh no not at all, friend! You are not alone. Something has been missing from modern Who since Ten left. I still miss him. I watched The Christmas Invasion on Thanksgiving and enjoyed that right enough but I still dream of what might have been had Tennant stayed on another year or two.
Last edited by ThetaSigma on April 28th, 2012, 12:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
ThetaSigma

Postby ThetaSigma on January 28th, 2012, 10:54 pm

Well a bit of an update here: I plan on getting The Doctor, The Widow, and the Wardriobe when it comes out in North America in February. I even put money down to reserve a copy. But it will never be like it was with David.
Last edited by ThetaSigma on April 28th, 2012, 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
ThetaSigma

Postby tch on March 6th, 2012, 1:17 am

I enjoyed the X-mas special. Yes, you don't want to think too hard about the plot, but I liked the cast, the fairy tale vibe, Bill Bailey: space soldier! and the great and sweet character moments.

Matt Smith has proven to be a great Doctor and I've really enjoyed his run.
tch

Postby ThetaSigma on April 28th, 2012, 12:28 am

I watched it and found myself lost and bored with the overlong plot. So sorry but it was nothing like I had hoped. I miss Ten and suppose, after the Tomness he is and always will be my second favorite Doctor.
ThetaSigma

Postby tch on December 30th, 2012, 1:40 am

Did anyone watch 'The Snowmen'?

Nice romp. Lots of fun. Love the new console room, the bit of Who history and the Lady lizard and co.
Not terribly thrilled with the new girl, but only that bit at the end.
Her acting like Mary Popins' flirty younger sister was tolerable. I get the feeling I'll be a bit sick of her by the end of season 7 part 2.

I've liked all the Christmas specials, but this may be my new favorite.
tch

Postby Betty on December 30th, 2012, 2:11 am

I thought "The Snowmen" was an exceptionally good episode. Lots of great lines (Who would ever think the best ones would be from a Sontaran?) and the story was pleasantly silly. I always assumed gentle silliness was what makes Doctor Who so good, so I don't see why any old fan wouldn't enjoy this episode. They also made the Tardis interior look a bit simpler and therefore more like in the olden days. From where I'm standing, things are headed in the right direction.
So far, I'm more or less impartial to the new girl but I never like a new companion at first, so impartial is actually quite good. Let's give her time to prove herself before we start judging her. Also, the Doctor seems to like her, so she can't be all that bad ;)
"Once, I was a real turtle"
Betty

Postby tch on December 30th, 2012, 4:36 am

I was willing to give Clara a shot, as she was going to be a 'girl from then', but she's ended up to be yet another 'girl from now' and, again, the companion is the story arc, a trend I'm tired of.
I'm willing to wait and see, but am skeptical based on what I've seen so far.
Think I liked her better as a Dalek.

But, it's a very minor grumble over an otherwise fun, solidly written story.

I never get the grumblings of older fans ( which is weird, as I am one) and the idea that you must be a fan of either the old or new and then pummel the one you didn't pick.
I have my favorites among the 11, but I love them all and will watch any Who I can get my greedy little hands on.
tch

Return to TV, Film, Books and Music