companion swap

This is the place for anything which doesn't go anywhere else!

Moderator: Moderator

Re: companion swap

Postby tch on December 29th, 2012, 9:27 pm

With all the moping with Amy and Rory leaving and all the 'You shouldn't be alone' babble, I kept thinking 'Man, the Doctor has had about three dozen companions and met another dozen people who would have wanted to go with him.

Would have loved that instead of going into self imposed exile, if Matt Smith's Doctor had gone to visit a past companion.
Be cool if the Christmas special had taken place with Doctor 11 and an older Jamie, or Jo Grant or Tegan.
tch

Postby Betty on December 29th, 2012, 9:53 pm

I'm actually looking forward to Clara as a companion. Of course, it could go terribly wrong (if they make her way too interesting) but it has potential. What the doctor needs is a nice loyal amiable companion with some good lines, nothing too special. That's what I liked about Sarah Jane.

But speaking about Jo Grant, the 11th doctor already met her. (See The Sarah Jane Adventures - Death of the Doctor)
"Once, I was a real turtle"
Betty

Postby tch on December 29th, 2012, 11:11 pm

I know about Jo meeting the 11th, that's why she made my list. Great episode.
I'm just tired of the 'Lonely Doctor' bit, when we know he has dozens of people that would travel with him.

Instead he mopes then picks up a new girl ( always a girl in the new show. No boys allowed, unless a girl vouches for you. Much as I'm feeling luke warm about Clara, but will cute her slack as she is a cute girl from then, rather then the usual cute girl from now) instead of going back a visiting an old friend.
tch

Postby Betty on December 29th, 2012, 11:16 pm

I get your point. It would certainly be interesting.
On the other hand, it might be a bit difficult to organise, as it is more difficult to write a good episode for old characters than it is for new characters and the old actors aren't always free to shoot. But yeah, the sulking doctor isn't right ;)
Betty

Postby tch on March 26th, 2013, 11:38 am

Another thought:

Was reading how Tom is starting to run out of available companions for Big Finish stories. He's down to just Leela and K-9, and while that is one of my favorite companion combos, unless they convince Mathew Waterhouse to come back, that's all that's left ( sad thought all the people we've lost)

There was talk of him meeting other companions from the BF universe, either past ones or creating new companions.

What do people think? Would you rather have Tom meet established characters from the BF universe or would they like to see new companions introduced?

and bonus question, if you vote for new companions, who/what would make a good new companion for Tom's Doctor?
tch

Postby Betty on March 26th, 2013, 11:44 am

You are raising a good point. I would vote for brand new companions. I once wrote a little something about the Doctor briefly travelling with a girl job seeker who refuses to tell the rude Doctor her name, so she makes him call her "Mrs Jones". So I would vote for Mrs Jones. Plus good old K-9 for a sense of familiarity. He is the Doctor's second best friend, after all...
Betty

Postby tch on March 29th, 2013, 3:12 am

I used to love in the Doctor Who comics that Tom's Doctor always seemed to have K-9 with him. No matter when in show continuity the story was set, the writers all wanted to include K-9.
K-9 should be a permanent Tardis fixture.

For new companion ideas:

I'd like to see an older woman companion, as a change from all the cute girls from now.

and since bachelor Tardis crews are so rare, a guy companion, someone like Jamie that could ask about things without sounding dumb because he's from the past. Maybe a young medevil monk or a young soldier from the american revolution.
I wish the show had tried more historical companions.
tch

Postby Betty on March 29th, 2013, 10:58 am

Someone from medieval times would definitely be interesting, but there would be a great danger of it slipping into ridicule if they make them too dumb.
Concerning an elderly woman, you're in luck. Check out the "Nest Cottage saga" (that's how I call it. Other people call it Hornets' Nest, Demon Quest and Serpent Crest) and I think you'll love it. It's audio, so it's awesome by definition ;) It's 15 CDs in total and I think Audiogo also sells downloads for really not that much money. It's all written by Paul Magrs - he writes really good scripts.
Betty

Postby tch on March 29th, 2013, 1:38 pm

I do want to check out the Hornet's Nest' stories, but have barely been able to make a dent in the Big Finish stories, so don't dare even check out the others.

With historical companions, Jamie is the example writers should follow. He didn't know stuff, so could ask all the questions, but also was obviously trying to learn. He had practical smarts, as opposed to the Doctor's big brainy science smarts.
Any writers that want to do a historical companion needs to go watch some Troughton DVDs first.
tch

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous