Tom Baker, the author

"Who On Earth is Tom Baker?" & "The Boy Who Kicked Pigs"

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Tom Baker, the author

Postby biddenden_sue on March 15th, 2010, 2:32 pm

Wow - the new question section is fascinating. So Sue has written a screen-play of The Boy Who Kicked Pigs, and she and Tom are hoping to get it onto the screen (either size would be cool). How exciting is that??? 8-)

I could see this being taken on by Auntie Beeb in animated form, possibly to be shown over the Christmas season. I am sure it would be a huge hit, and obviously then become a DVD release.

Look forward to hearing more about this in the months to come! :geek:
Last edited by biddenden_sue on March 15th, 2010, 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. Douglas Adams.
biddenden_sue

Postby tracy on March 15th, 2010, 5:39 pm

i really hope that gets on the tv that would be fantastic
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby merlinsseer on May 1st, 2010, 3:30 pm

Right then, I finally got that first edition of ' The Boy Who Kicked Pigs' that I was lusting after. I made a special reading date with it and brought along a bar of dark chocolate for the event. I curled up in the corner of the bed in the deep of night and spent a good hour stuffing the pillow in my mouth in an attempt to avoid waking the rest of the household with shrieks of laughter.
I loved it,I really did.It made my little black heart happy but left me a little confused. The confusion is that since I'm often mistaken as a grown-up by grown-ups and really loved this sick tale- does that make me oddly above and beyond the pale in the head? I haven't decided on a favorite part yet, not sure that I can. The illustrations are perfect compliments to the story.For some reason I'm especially fond of Nery's eating celery and the bacon butty flying into the graveyard. ( Tom Baker on one of the headstones was a nice touch )
So there's a screenplay of it now...I wonder if Tim Burton has read this ? It has just the perfect amount of off-beat black humour that he would eat it up with a spoon and lick the bottom of the bowl. He would appreciate it's evil,little leading man and quirky cast of victims.Lock, Shock, and Barrel move over, here comes Robert Caligari.
Now I just have to figure how to get this book signed and find that chocolate bar I couldn't eat from fear of choking on it while laughing....
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
merlinsseer

Postby mikotyk on June 18th, 2010, 5:15 pm

I finished Tom's autobiography today and I have to say that it is both very sad and very funny. I loved the stories from Tom's youth. My mother's family was of Irish descent and I found an awful lot of similar situations Tom had in my own childhood (My family wasn't as poor as Tom's but we weren't wealthy either. We were always robbing Peter to pay Paul). I completely understand his battle with Catholicism. My mother was a Catholic but she left the Church not long after I was born because "they were always sticking their noses in things that were none of their business". Obviously not learning from my mother's experience, I participated in RCIA (Roman Catholic Indoctrination for Adults) when I was in my 30s but I left barely a year later. I found it's large bureaucracy, (or is it hypocrisy? I think it was both) to be very annoying and I joined my mother in that long line of unrepentive Catholics.

Like Tom did, I have a long, running, battle with my mother in law. I am an imperfect son-in-law and she lets me know it. Like Tom's mother in law, mine also farts and blames it on everyone else.

The stories about Doctor Who "groupies" were very interesting too. All in all, a great biography.
Someday, my ship will come in, but with my luck, I'll be stranded at the airport!
mikotyk

Postby fowens22 on August 13th, 2010, 12:39 pm

I'll have to check amazon for these books also might see if they are available on kindle
fowens22

Postby donnarose on August 13th, 2010, 4:53 pm

Interesting take on Mr. Baker's autobiography, Mike.

I, too, read it not all that long ago (I was finally able to find a copy on eBay).

The references to Catholicism (his mum's and her friends' devotion to the saints; his calling out "Polycarp of Smyrna!" during a meal at the monastery; and such) made me smile. :)

I suppose it's all in one's perspective.
Love begins when the needs of someone else become more important than your own.
~Lao Wei
donnarose

Postby Marcello Cristiano on August 13th, 2010, 10:44 pm

I.N.R.I.

TOM's Iron Nails Ran In acronym was my favorite from the book. It made me laugh so hard!!! :lol: I love TOM's sense of humour and views on Jesus and Catholicism. TOM's a genius! And a very funny guy! If he wasn't an actor/author, he should have been a stand-up comedian. I could listen to him forever! :D

I LOVE TOM BAKER!!!!
" 'Wibbsey' would be a wonderful word for pillow talk, wouldn't it? Especially if you said it softly..."

TOM BAKER
(2010)
DEMON QUEST
Doctor Who Magazine #425 (Interview)
Marcello Cristiano

Postby donnarose on August 14th, 2010, 11:55 am

Again, I assume it's all in one's perspective. . .
Love begins when the needs of someone else become more important than your own.
~Lao Wei
donnarose

Who On Earth Is Tom Baker?

Postby Marcello Cristiano on August 18th, 2010, 10:37 pm

Dear All:

Does anyone know if the book read by TOM has been released on CD? I know it has been released on two audio cassettes, but was hoping for a CD release, as obviously CD is much more durable to constant playing. I wish I had the narration of TOM's book by TOM himself in my collection.
" 'Wibbsey' would be a wonderful word for pillow talk, wouldn't it? Especially if you said it softly..."

TOM BAKER
(2010)
DEMON QUEST
Doctor Who Magazine #425 (Interview)
Marcello Cristiano

Postby Prydonian on May 20th, 2011, 2:53 am

Has anyone heard of any news regarding The Boy Who Kicked Pigs screenplay? Also, will Tom write any more books, fiction or otherwise? :?
Prydonian

PreviousNext

Return to Talk about Tom’s books