Tom Baker, the author

"Who On Earth is Tom Baker?" & "The Boy Who Kicked Pigs"

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Tom Baker, the author

Postby jaybee on November 15th, 2009, 4:52 pm

Did anybody find it funny? Are you serious?

I've read a lot of supposedly funny books, but Tom Baker is the only author who has successfully had me laughing out loud more than once while I was reading his words.

The Boy Who Kicked Pigs: I do a pile of reading while I'm sitting in waiting rooms -- doctor, dentist, etc. I took this book with me to the doctor's office one day. I'd not started reading it yet and wanted to get to it. Turns out the doctor had an emergency that day; so it was a good thing that I'd brought my own reading material.

I was doing just fine until I hit the whole conflagration scene. It was too perfect! Tom had his tongue permanently glued to the inside of his cheek when he was writing that. I had a waiting room full of people wondering why I was laughing so hard. I couldn't keep it in. The tears were rolling down my cheeks and I had to keep getting up and asking the receptionist for another tissue to wipe the tears.

The television announcer was priceless! How many times have we seen him on TV! And the little old couple with their Robin that they didn't want to leave. Too much!!

Tom has a way of painting a picture with words. I've not read a lot of authors who can do that (Desmond Bagely comes to mind) for me. My sense of humour seems to depend on visual stimuli. I don't have to see it in person, but I do have to be able to see it in my head and Tom has put some very hilarious scenes in mine -- in both books.

I did have the opportunity to thank Tom for making me laugh while I was reading his autobiography. I was better when I read The Boy Who Kicked Pigs. I still go back to them and they still make me laugh. So, thanks again, Tom!
jaybee

Postby JulietCatherine on December 2nd, 2009, 5:03 pm

Last night, I decided before heading off to bed to watch some of your videos on You Tube, and typed in your name Tom Baker into You Tube's search engine, and pulled up some lovely interviews and book signing events. And you were so sweet to the children at the book signing events, it touched my heart. Especially when a small little girl came to you at the book signing table, and you look at her in amazement, and (I believe) you asked her if she wanted a jelly baby. You were so sweet to this little girl, it was the cutest thing I ever saw! I love to watch you at your book signing events!

Tom Baker must go all out when it comes to Book Signings! If I had the money, I would fly where he would have his next Book Signing. Well, we also have to make the plans to fly or take a cruise (well fly) to go to one of Tom's Book Signing Events. If we were on a cruise we couldn't schedule the time to see a Book Signing, so we have to make it by airplane.

:D :) ;) :lol:
Juliet
Happy Holidays
Houston Texas USA
JulietCatherine

Postby pattie anne on December 11th, 2009, 3:41 am

“But what about the content?” sighed Tom, “Has anyone actually read it?”

Yup, read it, listened to it and shared it with anyone WHO dared.

Did anyone find it funny? That’s what Tom would like to know ...

Funny? Gut-wrenching so. Gave DARK humour a whole new dimension and definiton. And it was so very refreshing to find a "bad guy" rather than being apologized for, or explained away to the point that we are feeling pity for him; well, this was one WHO finally got his just desserts! Just wish the real world could be more like the made-up universe springing from the mind and imagination of Our Mister Tom. Author; author; author! Moore ... Moore ... Moore ... wells up the public cry!
"And as for Tom Baker, well, I'll always be the Doctor,
won't I?" TOM BAKER
pattie anne

Postby Gold Usher on January 14th, 2010, 6:02 am

Agreed! I enjoyed The Boy Who Kicked Pigs on audio immensely and sometimes refer to my bank as "Trevor"
Though I could never bring myself to kick it as it's a moderate sized castle rook in ceramic. Plus currently, I'd be displacing the resident spider who has been busy spinning a web.

To hear Tom recount "Trevor" in the story bouncing along is worth stubbing a toe. And comeuppance...wicked!

If Tom ever writes a limerick book that's NOT geared towards children, put me down for one.

That would probably rival anything out there in print Including that one about the man from Nantucket.
Gold Usher

Postby dkingvr6 on January 20th, 2010, 8:32 pm

I have read and re-read the boy who kicked pigs many times, and has had me laughing each time. Its a brilliant little story that i lend to various people, who all say the same "Didnt know Tom Baker wrote books?", and of course all loved it, luckily most of my friends share my sense of humour. Tom's autobiography was a brilliant insight into his life growing up and various careers that he had under taken, and so many great stories and amusing tales, just my cup of tea! Thanks Tom and Happy Birthday
Cheers Daniel
dkingvr6

Postby Waleli on January 21st, 2010, 4:05 pm

I've just ordered the autobiography! (used from Amazon)
The excerpts from the book on this site got me hooked.
I wanted to get the one where he narrates it himself, but it was a couple hundred dollars. I can't blame people who have it to ask that much for it before they sell it though.
Waleli

Postby pattie anne on January 21st, 2010, 6:59 pm

Dear Walei -

$200? Please PM me and I will send you my original two audio cassettes, for far less than $200, as I now have the spoken bio on CDs.

Best,
pattie anne
"And as for Tom Baker, well, I'll always be the Doctor,
won't I?" TOM BAKER
pattie anne

Postby Waleli on January 30th, 2010, 4:42 pm

I just got done reading Who on Earth is Tom Baker. Great book! Amazing story.

I'd thought with him being tall, good-looking, talented and with such an awesome voice that he could have just sashayed in and got whatever parts he wanted. But he worked his butt off and earned every bit of everything he got with his blood sweat and tears.

I already admired him greatly of course, but now I admire him a great deal more.

His life story in that book, and with the past 13 years sort of filled in with this website, reminds me of my favorite flower, the dandelion. Everybody thinks Oh, a worthless weed. With odd looking leaves. Then it blooms into a yellow flower, bright as the sunshine itself, and everyone smiles at it for quite some time. One day, the bloom closes and everyone thinks that's the end of it, it's going to wither up and rot. But no, it opens up into something in many ways much more glorious and beautiful than it was before.
LOL I know I'm not good at analogies but that's what came to my mind when I got done reading the book.

Also, with HUGE thanks to pattieanne, I now have the tapes! I listened to side one and it was awesome but as I am now snowed in with everyone the rest will have to wait a bit.
Waleli

Postby tracy on March 8th, 2010, 8:30 pm

:D ive got the boy who kicked pigs cd coming this week so im looking forward to that i said to my sister if she didnt know what to get me for my birthday id have the cd from her as i normally like to buy any think tom my self so when it comes i will sit with just 2 lamps on and my head phones and listion to it
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby chase on March 14th, 2010, 6:45 pm

I really enjoyed this book and I usually do not like biographies. This was clever in its writing and funny and interesting. Thanks! Sorry you had such a hard life in some of it, Tom.
chase

PreviousNext

Return to Talk about Tom’s books