TB Newsletters - the complete collection

"Who On Earth is Tom Baker?" & "The Boy Who Kicked Pigs"

Moderator: Moderator

TB Newsletters - the complete collection

Postby WhoGabe on January 12th, 2010, 2:34 pm

I just finished reading "January 2010 - Happy New Year to you all!". As always Tom's words are witty and brilliant. May I express a wish for this new year that's ahead of us?

I want to buy the collection of Tom's newletter. Tom's great as a writer (well... is there something he's not great at?). It's a journal of emotions and events. Little wonderful windows on an everyday's life. I love them so much I wish I can "own" them in the form of a book, to keep them on my bedside table and read them every now and then.

Thank you, Tom!
All the best for this year and all the years that'll come.
<<Strange how a teapot can represent at the same time
the comforts of solitude and the pleasures of company.>>
WhoGabe

Re: TB Newsletters - the complete collection

Postby merlinsseer on January 14th, 2010, 11:14 am

I very enthusiastically concur with this idea. I look forward to each newsletter, relish them when they arrive and go back to read them often. Mr.Baker has a very unique and delightful way of seeing things and he illustrates that view with such infectious humour ! I enjoy his woodland walks much more than I ever did Thoreau 's and kittens doing battle with spiders is definitely more charming and thoughtful than black and red ants under a microscope.
The only addition that i would ask for is footnotes that answer those infuriating questions he asks that only he and a chosen few know the answers to-lol , because now I'm burning to know what has taken up residence in the wigwams.
Mr.Baker's reading recommendations have me fit to be tied, as my wallet gathers the mothballs of unemployment, a new purchase is impossible . I did check with the library and the books are either not in their collection or have gone astray. It seems " Salt" was checked out several years ago and never returned or replaced Maybe the delinquent borrower got an overdose and died? While he is on the subject of things that can kill a person, perhaps he can offer some advice on cracking the smoking habit? I don't cough like a rutting stag yet but I will if I don't quit soon.I'd really like to know what path Mr. Baker took to become free of this demon named " nicotine", because patches and everlasting gobstoppers haven't inspired me at all.
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
merlinsseer

Postby Forum Moderator on January 14th, 2010, 3:22 pm

We have taken note that there's some demand for "The Collected Newsletters"! Tom is flattered. There have only been 6 so far, so it's probably a bit too soon to think about a collection. Maybe when we have a year's worth we'll consider putting together a collection for the fans.

FM
Forum Moderator

Postby pattie anne on January 14th, 2010, 11:30 pm

To which Pattie Anne, and the rest, all say as one:

"Oh, goodie!"
Doctor Who IV

:mrgreen:
"And as for Tom Baker, well, I'll always be the Doctor,
won't I?" TOM BAKER
pattie anne

Postby Who dat? on May 10th, 2010, 6:49 pm

I made the decision right away to copy them for myself so I can read them over even when I'm not on-line. I seem to grab bits of info that I missed quite often. I also look up the books HE suggests and anything else HE mentions in an effort to understand HIM just a bit better.
Doctor: "I'm Lord President, and I'm called sir."
Who dat?

Postby tracy on May 10th, 2010, 6:54 pm

:D yes it will be lovly once tom has put up a few more to have them as a nice collection to keep
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby hackenbush on July 14th, 2010, 9:05 pm

Any new publication from Tom would be very well received in our household - he's got a hugely witty, very readable style that captures so many of the subtleties and bizarre nuances of the world... I'd probably read a collection made entirely of the first few newsletters repeated over and over...but I'm sure there must be more to come... I don't suppose Tom's a letter writer at all? I've always loved "The Groucho Letters" and can imagine a Tom Baker tome on the same lines would be well worth a gander...
hackenbush

Postby pattie anne on July 23rd, 2010, 9:06 pm

dear hackenbush -

welcome to TOM's dinner table! :D

well, to answer your question, HE use to write letters, but i think HE generally has this place now instead.

still, i think your suggestion is an excellent one. perhaps those WHO can actually do something about just that are reading your Post too. :shock: around here ... one never knows for certain. ;)

best,
pattie anne :geek:
"And as for Tom Baker, well, I'll always be the Doctor,
won't I?" TOM BAKER
pattie anne

Return to Talk about Tom’s books