Tom Baker the man

Talk about Tom.

Moderator: Moderator

Tom Baker the man

Postby Forum Moderator on October 30th, 2009, 2:23 pm

Many of you may have met Tom at some time in your lives, and you may want to share those stories. Tom writes about his day to day life in his newsletters on this site and you may wish to talk about the things that interest him - his love of cats and dogs, for instance. You may wish to post your own pictures, but don't go too mad on the pet pictures - stay on subject!

From time to time, Tom may post messages in this forum himself, but he regrets he cannot answer personal messages and emails individually.

:!: URL Links are switched OFF. Please don't post any links to external sites - even in plain text form. Report any to the Moderator.
Thank you
Forum Moderator

Re: Tom Baker the man

Postby Captain Rum on October 30th, 2009, 11:30 pm

I'm certainly a cat man and the two stories I have about cats are about one I had back in the 90s. The first story was when he used to climb a great big tree opposite where we lived (my Mum still lives there now...the house opposite, not the tree :lol: ) and would go 3/4 of the way up (any higher wouldn't have supported his weight) and just lie there without a care in the world. My Mum on the other hand would worry herself silly when he did this and one day decided to call the fire brigade out....and to cut a long story short my cat wasn't impressed by a fireman trying to pick him up off the branch and gave the fireman a few swings with his paw and then decided to vault off the branch and into an adjacent ditch....about a 60ft drop. After a few seconds he calmly walked across the road and into our house where he sat on the couch until it was tea-time.

Speaking of tea-time, his other main habit was to follow me everytime I left the house....on the assumption that I was going to the garage down the road to go into it's shop to pick up his cat food, now I didn't know about this until one day I come out of the shop and there he was waiting for me, making sure I was going home with his tea. Everytime I put on my coat or went near the front door he would perk up and run to the door purring away, in the end we had to use subterfuge and feed him out the back if I had to go out anywhere because if not i would walk 30 seconds down the road, I'd look round and there he would be just sneaking behind a car, thinking his tracking of me was still successful and then i would walk towards him and he would just run far enough away from my grasp.

He was great...the last time I saw him he was 12 and he was sat ontop of our next door neighbours aviary....now HE knew he couldn't get to the birds but the birds didn't and so he would just lie there watching them...probably with a smile on his face....he was getting old and was in pain and the vet said we should put him to sleep. Sometimes animals sense things and maybe he sensed he was getting long in the tooth and ill so decided to go for a lie down somewhere and fall asleep....proabably off somewhere in cat heaven, waiting by a door, sleeping in the shade until tea time.......
"Aaaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhhh....me laddie!"

"You damned courtiers to the Queen, you're nothing but lap dogs to a slip of a girl!"

Hope to meet a nautical cove or two online to chat about Tom, "Who", etc :-)
Captain Rum

Location: Yeovil....but only when my Tardis needs an overhaul.

Postby tracy on October 31st, 2009, 10:58 am

:D love your story captain rum very interesting

:) the reason why im going to say this now is that ive been watcing the grand pri in abu dhabi and its where tom says he has a huge following there its a nice place but dear you have to be rich to live there or even go on holiday
Last edited by tracy on November 1st, 2009, 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby tracy on November 4th, 2009, 3:41 pm

:D ive got news that i had from some one that tom is going to be at the sfx weekender convention on the 5th and 6th of febuary next year in rye it aint been confirmed yet so i was told but if tom does go i will go down on the friday and stay till the sunday all being well the accomadation is in with the tickets but thats sharing with 7 others but i will get a daliey ticket and what ive done is reserve a hotel 10minuets away and if for any reason i cant go i can cancal my hotel i would love to drive down with the help of sat nav but being feb i dont know what the weather is going to be like so i will proberly come by train also got to check with my sister that she can come and stay at ours while im away as so far this year ive been lucky that she has been able to come and stay so untill things are confirmed toms end ive got to save any one thinking of going i will only go on the one day . never been to rye before so it will be nice to have a look round ive always wanted to walk along a beach in winter
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby John on November 4th, 2009, 3:57 pm

I've just been on SFX website, and I can't see any mention of Tom being there. :(

So far the only people confirmed are John Barrowman, James Marsters, Paul Cornell, China Mieville and Robert Rankin.

Tickets start from £85 per person and include two nights accommodation with entry into all arenas.

It's still early days, they'll be adding more names over the coming months, hopefully Tom will be amongst them.
John

Postby tracy on November 4th, 2009, 4:03 pm

John wrote:I've just been on SFX website, and I can't see any mention of Tom being there. :(

So far the only people confirmed are John Barrowman, James Marsters, Paul Cornell, China Mieville and Robert Rankin.

Tickets start from £85 per person and include two nights accommodation with entry into all arenas.

It's still early days, they'll be adding more names over the coming months, hopefully Tom will be amongst them.

i rung the sfx to find out after i was told if you look on the sfx web site at the pictures of all going you have to scroll right down they put tom almost at the bottem how dare they ha i asked if i could have a ticket with out accomadation they said the daley tickets should be out soon
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby John on November 4th, 2009, 4:08 pm

Ah yes, I see him now. I should have clicked the link!

Ooh! Lis Sladen's going to be there too!
John

Postby merlinsseer on November 4th, 2009, 4:13 pm

weeps in frustration :cry:
John wrote:Awh yes, I see him now. I should have clicked the link!

Ooh! Lis Sladen's going to be there too!

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
merlinsseer

Postby Gham on November 4th, 2009, 7:57 pm

toms no 1 fan wrote::D ive got news that i had from some one that tom is going to be at the sfx weekender convention on the 5th and 6th of febuary next year in rye it aint been confirmed yet so i was told but if tom does go i will go down on the friday and stay till the sunday all being well the accomadation is in with the tickets but thats sharing with 7 others but i will get a daliey ticket and what ive done is reserve a hotel 10minuets away and if for any reason i cant go i can cancal my hotel i would love to drive down with the help of sat nav but being feb i dont know what the weather is going to be like so i will proberly come by train also got to check with my sister that she can come and stay at ours while im away as so far this year ive been lucky that she has been able to come and stay so untill things are confirmed toms end ive got to save any one thinking of going i will only go on the one day . never been to rye before so it will be nice to have a look round ive always wanted to walk along a beach in winter

Rye is lovely, but perhaps a bit bleak in the winter. Easy to get to by train - Charing Cross to Ashford then change, (or Hastings, then change). There's a good bus service from Rye out to Camber - or it's walkable if the weather's nice.

Hopefully, Tom will be there (it's not as if he's got too far to travel...)

Dr Who fans will appreciate the fact 'Claws of Axos' was filmed in nearby Dungness (sadly, not one of Tom's)
Gham

Postby tracy on November 4th, 2009, 9:18 pm

Gham wrote:
toms no 1 fan wrote::D ive got news that i had from some one that tom is going to be at the sfx weekender convention on the 5th and 6th of febuary next year in rye it aint been confirmed yet so i was told but if tom does go i will go down on the friday and stay till the sunday all being well the accomadation is in with the tickets but thats sharing with 7 others but i will get a daliey ticket and what ive done is reserve a hotel 10minuets away and if for any reason i cant go i can cancal my hotel i would love to drive down with the help of sat nav but being feb i dont know what the weather is going to be like so i will proberly come by train also got to check with my sister that she can come and stay at ours while im away as so far this year ive been lucky that she has been able to come and stay so untill things are confirmed toms end ive got to save any one thinking of going i will only go on the one day . never been to rye before so it will be nice to have a look round ive always wanted to walk along a beach in winter

Rye is lovely, but perhaps a bit bleak in the winter. Easy to get to by train - Charing Cross to Ashford then change, (or Hastings, then change). There's a good bus service from Rye out to Camber - or it's walkable if the weather's nice.
ok thanks for that im just asuming that as im coming from wolverhampton to euston i get the tube to charing cross . pm me as we seem to be going off topic here in the wrong thread may be
Hopefully, Tom will be there (it's not as if he's got too far to travel...)

Dr Who fans will appreciate the fact 'Claws of Axos' was filmed in nearby Dungness (sadly, not one of Tom's)
tracy with out the E
tracy

Next

Return to The man himself