stunning portraits of tom

Talk about Tom.

Moderator: Moderator

Re: stunning portraits of tom

Postby OliverMcNeil on November 29th, 2011, 3:31 pm

Hi

Thank you very much. I think you have just made my day.

Very best wishes

Oliver
OliverMcNeil

Postby tracy on November 29th, 2011, 5:14 pm

:D its wonderfull when we hear what talent people have in doing things its like some people are born with talent if you know what i mean :D
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby MCH on November 29th, 2011, 7:02 pm

All hail Oliver, photographer of the great Tom! :D
MCH

Postby pattie anne on November 29th, 2011, 7:51 pm

all hail oliver! :mrgreen: "the great and powerful oz," ah, TOM! :lol:
"And as for Tom Baker, well, I'll always be the Doctor,
won't I?" TOM BAKER
pattie anne

Postby MCH on November 30th, 2011, 4:17 am

Do you recall the scene in "Men in Black II" when J and K opened a station locker? There were a bunch of little fuzzy bug eyed creatures in the locker. When they saw K they all started chanting,"All hail K, the bringer of light, etc." but K took away their light which was his wrist watch and the creatures pleaded with him not to leave them in darkness. So J gave them his, so naturally they started chanting, "All hail J!" it was a pretty funny scene.

It also makes you wonder whose locker we live in doesn't it? Lol. Anyway, I saw that movie the other day and that is why I felt compelled to say all hail Oliver. So there you have it. ;)

Oh Oliver! If I might ask another question? This one pertains to your fantasy portraits. In a couple of images a person is holding what might be a magical shelale. I was wondering if that was made from something called diamond willow? I have one of them that one day I'll carve a handle for. Interesting wood as there are diamond shaped patterns where the side branches come out of the stem. Just curious you know. And thanks!
MCH

Postby OliverMcNeil on November 30th, 2011, 11:51 am

This one pertains to your fantasy portraits. In a couple of images a person is holding what might be a magical shelale. I was wondering if that was made from something called diamond willow? I have one of them that one day I'll carve a handle for. Interesting wood as there are diamond shaped patterns where the side branches come out of the stem. Just curious you know. And thanks!

Very interesting Question.

As far as I am aware, the wood might be Blackthorn. It was my grandfathers who collected walking sticks for hiking.
I tell the children at my studio, that Blackthorn is the wood that fairies build their homes out of because of its magical properties. I read this some time ago

"In Irish folklore it was believed that the "little people" lived in Blackthorn bushes. Fairy tribes, called Lunantishees, are said to guard Blackthorn trees and will not let you cut branches off it on 11 November or 11 May - if you do you will be cursed with bad luck. It was also bad luck to wear the flowers in your buttonhole."
OliverMcNeil

Postby MCH on November 30th, 2011, 2:14 pm

Ah! I think I have a blackthorn shillalagh. It is only about two feet long. I found it at a thrift shop a few years back. Quite an interesting configuration as it looks to have some of the roots on the bulbous end. Do google diamond willow and you'll see how I thought it was that. Supposedly blackthorn grows in this part of the U.S. I'll have to check it out.

Btw,i think some of my ancestors were with clan Cian though I don't know for certain. I've had a hard time tracing my Irish roots.

AnyWho, thank you for the delightful information. I'd love to hear more of your stories. :D
MCH

Previous

Return to The man himself