Tom's career after Doctor Who

See TV, Film & Theatre section for details of Tom's other roles.

Moderator: Moderator

Tom's career after Doctor Who

Postby Toothy Grin on November 13th, 2009, 9:42 am

I think Tom would be the first to admit that his career suffered after leaving Dr Who, as he had become 'typecast' by the role, and from the 80's to early 90's was rarely seen on TV. However, I think this was not necessarily a bad thing with hindsight, as i think that if Tom had gone straight from Dr Who to be hugely successful in other things, he might have left Dr Who behind him, and fans might have been put off if he had been seen to have had greater successes in different roles. Then, of course, in the 90's his career started to pick up again as young producers who had seen him as the Doctor when they were children began to cast him in things, and he became a 'cult' figure. I think Tom's 'elusiveness' after leaving Dr Who ( I remember that it was so rare to see him in anything during the 80's and early 90's that when he did pop up somewhere, it was a shock, and actually made him seem more unique). Actors who are always popping up on TV can start to become tiresome, and I really think that Tom's popularity and attractiveness as the Doctor was actually helped by his near absence from our screens for such a long time. He became a sort of 'mythical figure'.
Anyone agree?
Toothy Grin

Re: Tom's career after Doctor Who

Postby tracy on November 13th, 2009, 10:47 am

if you look at toms list of tv and theature he has done alot since leaving dr who tom also does signings at conventions and the stamp shop and voice overs . ive enjoyed what tom has done and i know ive already said this but we owe tom a lot and big big thanks
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby John on November 13th, 2009, 3:08 pm

Toothy Grin wrote:I think Tom would be the first to admit that his career suffered after leaving Dr Who, as he had become 'typecast' by the role, and from the 80's to early 90's was rarely seen on TV. However, I think this was not necessarily a bad thing with hindsight...

I guess it depends on your perspective, I'm not sure that Tom would agree.

Toothy Grin wrote:...as i think that if Tom had gone straight from Dr Who to be hugely successful in other things, he might have left Dr Who behind him, and fans might have been put off if he had been seen to have had greater successes in different roles.

I'm not sure whether you're refering to fans of Tom or fans of Doctor Who. Fans of Tom would have been delighted had he found greater success in another role, and I'm certain that true fans of Doctor Who would have wished him well and thanked him for the seven years he comitted to the show. Jon Pertwe for example -- having left Doctor Who after five years -- enjoyed considerable success in Worzle Gummage.
John

Postby pattie anne on November 14th, 2009, 4:37 pm

True, TOM wasn't very active in TV, per se for a TIME after finishing HIS run of Dr Who. But HE was never out of work. Just go out on the Internet and search TOM BAKER CVS or Tom Baker credits with any of the major search engines. There are numerous entries for HIM, in various on-line Media Credits, all over the Net. Then add to that the volume of TOMmercials! (They are all listed 'out there' too, literally pages and pages of them.) Next, factor in the number of scripts/stories HE rejected after HIS run on Dr Who. And finally, tally the stories/tales/scripts that were started but never finished, for some reason by HIM; well, HIS credits just grow and grow in number! Making me draw the conclusion, that this just wasn't an unemployed actor, ever, forever after Dr Who. Rather I would think, when, if ever, did the gentleman have the TIME to sleep?
Last edited by pattie anne on November 14th, 2009, 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"And as for Tom Baker, well, I'll always be the Doctor,
won't I?" TOM BAKER
pattie anne

Return to Not Doctor Who - Tom's other roles