The Book Tower

See TV, Film & Theatre section for details of Tom's other roles.

Moderator: Moderator

The Book Tower

Postby Graceful Leonard on July 31st, 2010, 1:38 pm

I've noticed that The Book Tower has been mentioned a couple of times in other threads, but I thought it deserved its own.

What a terrific programme, and while Tom was in it, complimented by the perfect presenter.

Encouraging children to read is so important, but it has to be done in an engaging way. I don't know whether they have anything similar on children's TV these days, but they MUST get Tom's episodes out on DVD. Heck, a copy of the DVD should be given to all youngsters just starting English Lit. That would inspire them!
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Re: The Book Tower

Postby pattie anne on August 2nd, 2010, 3:19 pm

i loved "The Book Tower!" :mrgreen:

well, as i never actually VIEWED an entire episode, i love what i have discovered about it. :D

own a couple of signed posters from the series, as well as a signed postcard. also have various photos from the TV series, as well as a couple of video clips (opening and closing credits).

but what i really, really HOPE is someone 'out there' has a copy of a complete episode. no matter which one, just owning ONE episode in its wholeness would be ...

"Heaven!"
Tom Baker

PS: also have collected a few anecdotes from the series, and they only make me hungry for 'moore'. ;)

A fan recalled:
"I seem to remember he had a teapot that would have something surprising in it."
Another one remembered:
" 'The Book Tower'e was always very entertaining, I especially liked the teapot which would always contain something unexpected, like piglets, or sand... then there was that mysterious room out back, which Tom would look at through a hole in the book tower painting. The room was always full of school children dressed up as something relevant to an activity book... Children's TV from Yorkshire."

And a different one said:
"The Book Tower : Tom Baker brings out books from his Teapot of Plenty." [It must have been a TARDIS.]

And finally, one stated:
"... Also had Leeds Bridge House in the opening title sequence,depicting the 'Book Tower' that Tom Baker was supposedly in."

love,
pattie anne :geek:
"And as for Tom Baker, well, I'll always be the Doctor,
won't I?" TOM BAKER
pattie anne

Postby rathbone on February 25th, 2011, 10:31 pm

I would love to see the Book Tower again maybe Network dvd could release it. ITV which produced it no longer make childrens programmes at all let alone ones as lierate as this.
I always thought it had a slightly unsettling feel to it. Great stuff.
rathbone

Postby tracy on February 26th, 2011, 10:53 am

:D yes id love to see the book tower back with tom doing it he did a great job the last time and he would do a great job this to
tracy with out the E
tracy

Return to Not Doctor Who - Tom's other roles