What are your Top 5 fav. non-Who T.V./Movie roles for TOM?

See TV, Film & Theatre section for details of Tom's other roles.

Moderator: Moderator

What are your Top 5 fav. non-Who T.V./Movie roles for TOM?

Postby Marcello Cristiano on March 22nd, 2010, 11:03 pm

I've thought about this for a while and have now come to this conclusion. Here's my list of Top 5 favourite TOM BAKER roles in television/movies(besides Doctor Who):

1. Nicholas and Alexandra

2. The Golden Voyage of Sinbad

3. Remington Steele episode: "The Hounded Steele"

4. Little Britain

5. Monarch of the Glen

Anyone else have a top 5 list to name off? :D

P.S. If you want to discuss and explain your decisions, you are more than welcome.
" 'Wibbsey' would be a wonderful word for pillow talk, wouldn't it? Especially if you said it softly..."

TOM BAKER
(2010)
DEMON QUEST
Doctor Who Magazine #425 (Interview)
Marcello Cristiano

Re: What are your Top 5 fav. non-Who T.V./Movie roles for TOM?

Postby jaybee on March 23rd, 2010, 3:54 am

1. Donald MacDonald in Monarch of the Glen
2. the Marshwiggle in Narnia: The Silver Chair
3. Captain Baker in Fort Boyard
4. Captain Rum in Blackadder (I think HE is the only person on the planet who did NOT like his portrayal.)
5. Announcer in Little Britain

Donald MacDonald because he was a little kid in disguise as a grown-up.
I never read any of the Narnia books, but having seen Tom's portrayal of the Marshwiggle, my impression is that he aced the characterization.
Captain Baker was fun with his silly anecdotes and the invisible parrot.
Captain Rum - one of my favourite Blackadder "extras" ever.
Little Britain: Well, if we can't have the whole person, we at least get the voice.
jaybee

Postby tracy on March 23rd, 2010, 3:54 pm

:D this is hard for me as i cant pick my five as i have enjoyed all that tom has been in sorry
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby biddenden_sue on March 23rd, 2010, 4:52 pm

I've been thinking about this on a broader scale, as Tom has done so much more than just TV and Film. ;)

So here's my list...

1) Randall & Hopkirk (Deceased) - I adored this series, and thought Tom was the perfect sidekick to Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimer, two of my comedy heroes!

2) Golden Voyage of Sinbad - just watched this again recently, and had forgotten just how convincing Tom is in evil parts. I'd like to see him play more baddies!

3) Ultimate Sci-Fi Quiz (DVD Game) - in an interactive world, Tom has participated in various video games, but I love playing this one, and having Tom tell me how well I know my sci-fi! It's like having him there in my living room. 8-)

4) Lionel Nimrod's Inexplicable World - one of Tom's earlier radio parts, an excellent comedy series that seems mainly forgotten now, unfortunately.

5) Little Britain - the radio version is my preference, as I find some of the scenes in the TV series too vulgar. As ever, Tom was perfect for the job of narrator.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. Douglas Adams.
biddenden_sue

Postby Toothy Grin on March 24th, 2010, 10:08 am

Here are mine:
1. Puddleglum (The Silver Chair) - I remember at the time how thrilled I was to see Tom back on TV in a fantasy series, as he had all but disappeared from our screens for 10 years. He's wonderful as Puddleglum, the morose and pessimistic marshwiggle, and the scene where he gets drunk is priceless.

2. Father Ferguson (Life & Loves Of A She-Devil) - It was a few years after it had first been shown before I finally caught this (being too young to see it originally), and I was blown away by Tom's performance. His character in this couldn't be more different from the Doctor, and I bet Tom relished the chance to play a priest struggling with his faith. And the scenes with him romping with Julie T Wallace are something you won't forget in a hurry!

3. Prince Koura (Golden Voyage Of Sinbad) - The part that won Tom the role of the Doctor, he easily steals the entire film, with his wonderfully villainous and charismatic evil sorceror. He's outstanding in this.

4. Rasputin (Nicholas & Alexandra) - probably the most perfect bit of casting after the Doctor, and like the Doctor Tom is the definitive screen Rasputin. He's magnetic in this.

5. Professor Hoyt (Medics) - the series itself was a pretty unremarkable hospital series, but Tom made it worth watching with his performance as the eccentric and brilliant surgeon, and he got to show more of an acting range than just his usual 'off the wall' character.
Toothy Grin

Postby Doctor John Smith on June 18th, 2012, 10:14 pm

Ok - here are mine:-

i. Wyvern - Randall & Hopkirk (Deceased)
ii. Captain Redbeard Rum - Blackadder II
iii. Geoffrey Hoyt - Medics
iv. Sherlock Holmes - The Hound of the Baskervilles
v. Himself - The Book Tower

;)
The Doctor: I tell you, Brigadier, there's nothing to worry about! The brontosarus is large and placid!
Harry Sullivan: (to the Brigadier) This the patient, sir?
The Doctor: (looking up at Harry) And stupid!

The Doctor & Harry Sullivan - Robot
Doctor John Smith

Return to Not Doctor Who - Tom's other roles