Dungeons & Dragons

See TV, Film & Theatre section for details of Tom's other roles.

Moderator: Moderator

Dungeons & Dragons

Postby Betty on March 14th, 2013, 12:21 pm

I finally watched it. I had the DVD at home for years but never bothered before because I didn't know our Mr Baker was in it and also, because everybody said the film was terrible.

Long story short, I was pleasantly surprised. I expected something bad and instead it was very watchable. Maybe low expectations are the key to this film. There isn't a single drop of pretentiousness in this film and that's part of its charm. It's a sweet, a bit naive and easy-to-follow story. It is true that I was laughing at it most of the film but that was only because they didn't do anything to make it look any different from the actual filming locations. Mages holding a meeting in Prague opera house had me in tears. There were other ridiculous moments but they all had their charm. I really don't see why the film got such low ratings. It isn't Casablanca but it still has some pluses.

And now to Tom's performance: he only has one scene but he is brilliant in it. It is very different from his other roles and he handled it super well. There is one thing I've been meaning to ask: has anyone else seen this film? I have the feeling that they have done something to Tom's voice to make it sound less godlike. It sounds a bit higher in the film. More precisely, it sounds like somebody turned down the bass and turned up the middle on the mixing table. Any thoughts on that?
"Once, I was a real turtle"
Betty

Return to Not Doctor Who - Tom's other roles