Did we Inherit the Wind, or Inherit the Fog?

Read guidelines first. Start new topic in August to post your question.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Forum rules
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
Start new topic to post your question. One question allowed per member per month. Ask one concise question per post, and please refrain from including information and comments irrelevant to your question.
These questions are for Tom to answer, so please do not be tempted to post a reply to someone else’s question. If you want to make a comment, post it in the Fan Community → About Tom’s Newsletters and Answers to Questions subforum.
Please do your research before asking a question and try not to ask questions which Tom has answered before – either here or in interviews such as the Doctor Who Magazine articles available on this website in the Doctor Who section. If your question is factual, please try googling it first to see if you can find the answer.
Questions about whether Tom will appear at a convention or in a particular programme or film are wasted questions as he cannot talk about any offers in advance, and the moment agreement is reached, he announces the news on his website.
Tom will answer a MAXIMUM OF 15 QUESTIONS PER MONTH.

Did we Inherit the Wind, or Inherit the Fog?

Postby Becky on August 6th, 2012, 6:23 am

Dear Mr. B.,

I understand that you enjoy around-the-dinner-table style questions, so maybe you'd like to try this one on for size.

I'd like to ask you about Neanderthals. (Prehistoric ones, I mean. Not the ones you occasionally see driving in rush hour traffic.) Now, I imagine that the predominating daily thoughts of your average Neanderthal were taken up with such matters as, "get food, make fire, find cave," and so on. However I've wondered if, sitting around the evening campfire, digesting a particularly yummy woolly mammoth steak, they ever contemplated the meaning of life. Or, more to the point, whether they were able to GRASP the meaning of life... something that our supposedly advanced brains are unable to fathom. I guess what I'm asking is, do you suppose that humans have evolved away from the ability to understand concepts that Captain Caveman had already mastered? I'd love to hear some new thoughts on the subject, if you're willing to give this one a go.

Ug,

Becky

P.S. I think you'd make a crackerjack Matthew Harrison Brady.
Becky

Re: Did we Inherit the Wind, or Inherit the Fog?

Postby Tom Baker on August 29th, 2012, 2:45 pm

Dear Becky,

I think those neanderthal chaps realised that meat and a jolly fire were what mattered and that life has no other meaning. They would also have experienced deep deep jealousy as they realised that the guy with the juiciest and biggest piece of meat had the prettiest girls around him, ogling, pouting and generally doing photo opportunity stuff. A bit like modern times perhaps. And they would have spent a lot of time conjecturing on the meaning of thunder and lightning and perhaps eclipses? I remember in Liverpool seventy odd years ago being brainwashed by oafs in frocks talking fire - hellfire, I mean - and explaining everything their way.

Aaaargh!

Happy days,

Tom
Tom Baker
Site Admin

Return to Questions for August 2012