"Giving it up for Lent"

Read guidelines first. Start new topic in March to post your question.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Forum rules
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
Start new topic to post your question. One question allowed per member per month. Ask one concise question per post, and please refrain from including information and comments irrelevant to your question.
These questions are for Tom to answer, so please do not be tempted to post a reply to someone else’s question. If you want to make a comment, post it in the Fan Community → About Tom’s Newsletters and Answers to Questions subforum.
Please do your research before asking a question and try not to ask questions which Tom has answered before – either here or in interviews such as the Doctor Who Magazine articles available on this website in the Doctor Who section. If your question is factual, please try googling it first to see if you can find the answer.
Questions about whether Tom will appear at a convention or in a particular programme or film are wasted questions as he cannot talk about any offers in advance, and the moment agreement is reached, he announces the news on his website.
Tom will answer a MAXIMUM OF 15 QUESTIONS PER MONTH.

"Giving it up for Lent"

Postby John Hughes on March 3rd, 2012, 2:13 pm

Hello, Tom.

My grateful thanks to you for your humorous reply to my question last month on "Pet Hates in the Modern World".

Following on from my anti-mobile 'phone rant, I decided to abandon two further scourges of modern times - which I'm asamed to say I find myself using increasing frequently - Facebook and Twitter, for the duration of Lent. And I have to say, I'm rather enjoying it! I don't see myself re-activating my accounts in any hurry...

So, I wonder sir, if, as a young lad with a strong R.C. background (like myself), did you "give up" things for Lent? And if so was it by choice or where you "encouraged" to by the grown-ups? Indeed, do you still mark the Lenten season in some way by "giving something up"?

It's a bit early to wish you "Happy Easter", so instead, I hope you have a marvelous March.

As ever, my good wishes.
John
John Hughes

Re: "Giving it up for Lent"

Postby Tom Baker on March 31st, 2012, 7:43 pm

Dear John

As a fervent Catholic child I had little enough of luxuries because of the war and the post war shortages. Of course in those day I did not drink much: most children were TT in those days. But we redoubled our self loathing and went to confession more often than usual.

I got going as an actor because of those sessions of sweet invention. I made my first confession at the age of six. As I didn't know much of the ways of the devil, the priest was really quite redundant, I simply had nothing to confess. Father Sharkey used to urge me to dig deeper and said how much Jesus loved a sinner.
So I digged deep into my little imagination and, Lo, I struck a rich vein of lies:
"Pray Father, give your blessing, it is six days since my last confession."
"Let's hear the sins," hissed father Sharkey, flashing his teeth, "The sins!"
"I've done murder", I whispered.
"Murder? How many times?" he asked swallowing deeply and his adam's apple jumping with excitement. "How many times?"
"Twice I said."
"Ah," gulped the Sharkey, "Two murders in six days, anyone we know?"
Realising I was getting in deep I swiftly improvised: "No, Father they came from the next parish."
As a penance I was given forty lashes of his tongue.
Oh, bring back yesterday!

Best wishes
from Tom
Tom Baker
Site Admin

Return to Questions for March 2012