The Doctor and Harry

Read guidelines first. Start new topic in February to post your question.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Forum rules
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
Start new topic to post your question. One question allowed per member per month. Ask one concise question per post, and please refrain from including information and comments irrelevant to your question.
These questions are for Tom to answer, so please do not be tempted to post a reply to someone else’s question. If you want to make a comment, post it in the Fan Community → About Tom’s Newsletters and Answers to Questions subforum.
Please do your research before asking a question and try not to ask questions which Tom has answered before – either here or in interviews such as the Doctor Who Magazine articles available on this website in the Doctor Who section. If your question is factual, please try googling it first to see if you can find the answer.
Questions about whether Tom will appear at a convention or in a particular programme or film are wasted questions as he cannot talk about any offers in advance, and the moment agreement is reached, he announces the news on his website.
Tom will answer a MAXIMUM OF 15 QUESTIONS PER MONTH.

The Doctor and Harry

Postby Jagged on February 11th, 2012, 10:46 pm

A thing that stroke me through the early Tom Baker episodes of Doctor Who, was that the Doctor would sometimes act with something resembling impatience towards UNIT officer Harry Sullivan the nature of whose offences I never really grasped. Some people, I'm sure, would brush it off as an insignificant and trivial detail -- but then, what are internet forums for if not for trivia? Other people would probably brush it off as the the Doctor being jealous because Sarah sometimes spoke about Harry without animosity.

In particular, there was a scene in The Ark of Space where the Doctor cast a very impatient glance at Harry -- and unlike usual it seemed to be to be unexplained. Some people say that Doctor was jealous about some sort projected romance developing between Sarah and Harry, but to this I just say "Pfew". I don't really know why I say "pfew", as the word doesn't seem to be registered in the Oxford Dictionary, but there it is.

So, as I'm currently trying to finish my ph.d. about the "Relationships between the Doctor and Early Male Companions beside the Obvious Female Damsels in Distress", might you have any light to shed upon the issue of the Doctor's lesser than usual friendliness towards mr. Sullivan?
Jagged

Re: The Doctor and Harry

Postby Tom Baker on February 27th, 2012, 6:03 pm

Dear Jag,

You must remember that I came from somewhere else, a place where patience and politeness were not highly regarded. I had also just gone through a process called regeneration and found myself in a new body which felt very very odd. I also felt that Harry was better looking than I was, and I was jealous. Before this transformation I was taller and wore elegant clothes with lovely frilly shirts and spoke with a charming lisp and also dyed my hair white. So I hope you will forgive me my slight impatience with Harry in the early days. Later we became great friends though the BBC did not write about this.

All the best

Tom
Tom Baker
Site Admin

Return to Questions for February 2012