Pet hates in the modern world

Read guidelines first. Start new topic in February to post your question.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Forum rules
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
Start new topic to post your question. One question allowed per member per month. Ask one concise question per post, and please refrain from including information and comments irrelevant to your question.
These questions are for Tom to answer, so please do not be tempted to post a reply to someone else’s question. If you want to make a comment, post it in the Fan Community → About Tom’s Newsletters and Answers to Questions subforum.
Please do your research before asking a question and try not to ask questions which Tom has answered before – either here or in interviews such as the Doctor Who Magazine articles available on this website in the Doctor Who section. If your question is factual, please try googling it first to see if you can find the answer.
Questions about whether Tom will appear at a convention or in a particular programme or film are wasted questions as he cannot talk about any offers in advance, and the moment agreement is reached, he announces the news on his website.
Tom will answer a MAXIMUM OF 15 QUESTIONS PER MONTH.

Pet hates in the modern world

Postby John Hughes on February 9th, 2012, 5:37 pm

Hello, Tom.

I hope this finds you well?

I'm 38 years old next week, and am constantly being referred to as a Grumpy Old Man - even by those older that I.

The reason being is that I really cannot abide mobile phones. In my opinion, they are the worst ever invention and if I could ban them all, I would. In my opinion, they've just given people leave to be late for appoinments, rude on public transport and in restaurants/pubs, and have aided more extra-marital affairs than is probably healthy.

Until about 1990, the world ran pefectly well without them, and now we have the sight of toddlers demanding Blackberrys from Santa. A shame, I say.

So, I wonder, sir, do you have any "pet hates" about the modern world? Is there anything that you would "un-invent" or "outlaw".

On a lighter note, is there any invention you now find you couldn't live without?

All my good wishes,
John
John Hughes

Re: Pet hates in the modern world

Postby Tom Baker on February 29th, 2012, 10:12 pm

John,

Sounds as if you like to be prematurely grumpy. But it is fun to indulge in deep indignation. The world always runs perfectly, it doesn't care about us, not one little bit. I have never overheard anyone say anything interesting on a mobile and on the train I find it infuriating. But then mobiles liberate all sorts of lunatics to blab loudly to no one; we can't know if they are speaking to a human being or not.

And why do the girls in supermarkets sound so depressed on the PA system? Or why do they not cover up their love bites? And wouldn't be wonderful if we could send a mild electric shock to those people on Telly who are boring us to death? But hatred is not a help.

Best wishes from Tom
Tom Baker
Site Admin

Return to Questions for February 2012