Dealing with praise and critcism

Read guidelines first. Start new topic in November to post your question.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Forum rules
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
Start new topic to post your question. One question allowed per member per month. Ask one concise question per post, and please refrain from including information and comments irrelevant to your question.
These questions are for Tom to answer, so please do not be tempted to post a reply to someone else’s question. If you want to make a comment, post it in the Fan Community → About Tom’s Newsletters and Answers to Questions subforum.
Please do your research before asking a question and try not to ask questions which Tom has answered before – either here or in interviews such as the Doctor Who Magazine articles available on this website in the Doctor Who section. If your question is factual, please try googling it first to see if you can find the answer.
Questions about whether Tom will appear at a convention or in a particular programme or film are wasted questions as he cannot talk about any offers in advance, and the moment agreement is reached, he announces the news on his website.
Tom will answer a MAXIMUM OF 15 QUESTIONS PER MONTH.

Dealing with praise and critcism

Postby Graceful Leonard on November 7th, 2011, 9:55 pm

Dear Tom,

I've often wondered how actors deal with extremes of praise and criticism. Many claim they don't read the notices, but I find that hard to believe. Performance seems a very personal thing...how is it possible to avoid becoming impossibly egotistical when praised to the skies, or completely destroyed when slated unfairly?

Best wishes, GL
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Re: Dealing with praise and critcism

Postby Tom Baker on November 21st, 2011, 11:00 pm

Dear GL,

Personally I find any claims by actors or Bishops hard to believe, not to say impossible. I was once in a play by Noel Coward, Hay Fever. I played a diplomat. Someone said "Tom Baker as the diplomat is so bad there should not be an empty seat in the house all season." That nettled me a bit. But when I played Macbeth someone remarked that he had never realised what a nice chap Macbeth was. That cheered me up.

Generally speaking I find actors to be very nice people. I have worked a lot this year for Big Finish and it was wonderful to be with so many of them. Such stories! Sometimes I suspect that they are taking the mickey out of me, but then most people do that. I'm toying with the idea of giving it all up and have talked to several other actors about it and they all agreed with me that it would be a good and wise decision. But on the other hand, ah yes, "The other hand" you never can tell.

What do you think, GL?

all the best from Tom
Tom Baker
Site Admin

Return to Questions for November 2011