Worst Mother-in-Law

Read guidelines first. Start new topic in October to post your question.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Forum rules
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
Start new topic to post your question. One question allowed per member per month. Ask one concise question per post, and please refrain from including information and comments irrelevant to your question.
These questions are for Tom to answer, so please do not be tempted to post a reply to someone else’s question. If you want to make a comment, post it in the Fan Community → About Tom’s Newsletters and Answers to Questions subforum.
Please do your research before asking a question and try not to ask questions which Tom has answered before – either here or in interviews such as the Doctor Who Magazine articles available on this website in the Doctor Who section. If your question is factual, please try googling it first to see if you can find the answer.
Questions about whether Tom will appear at a convention or in a particular programme or film are wasted questions as he cannot talk about any offers in advance, and the moment agreement is reached, he announces the news on his website.
Tom will answer a MAXIMUM OF 15 QUESTIONS PER MONTH.

Worst Mother-in-Law

Postby Graceful Leonard on October 9th, 2011, 5:11 pm

Who do you think would make the worst mother-in-law: Miss Havisham or Lady Bracknell?
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Re: Worst Mother-in-Law

Postby Tom Baker on October 25th, 2011, 10:52 am

Dear Leonard,

I once had the opportunity of playing Lady Bracknell and I deeply regret letting it slip. At the time I did not know the director and it was to be done out of town. But my taste in comedy might have led to strife. I wanted to have a pearl handled colt revolver which I intended to produce on the line: "Rise, sir from that semi recumbent posture." Also, I wanted to have a book as big as a lectern bible for the scene when she was taking Worthing's details. I also wanted to wear high heels and a high hat and have the actors as small as possible as well as the doorway into Algernon's flat in Albany. I would have caused a nightmare.

On the subject of comedy I played Macbeth in London and several people said they had not realised what a nice chap he was. That surprised me. As for the choice, mine would be Lady B, though I probably would have done a great Miss Haversham!

Best wishes

Tom
Tom Baker
Site Admin

Return to Questions for October 2011