Food and Drink at Tom's Dinner Table

Tom likes to think of his Forum as a metaphysical dinner table where friends share stories and ideas. You are invited to join the party.

Moderator: Moderator

Food and Drink at Tom's Dinner Table

Postby Mouser on December 13th, 2009, 9:13 pm

There is a video at the end of which Tom is sitting at a table with a glass of wine, wishing we could join him. I'm sorry, the title isn't coming to me, but Sue produced it and filmed that bit at their home.

I thought it was a wonderful idea. Sipping wine and eating crusty bread with a bit of cheese and listening to Tom tell endless stories where we'd never know where the truth ended and the, well, you know, began.

I think he had a glass of something red. What wine or other drink do you like? What are your favorite cheeses, food, dessert?

I can't drink reds. I turn red. Maybe it is my nordic heritage. I am a wimp with dry wines as well. I prefer White Zinfandel, Riesling and other German wines. I wish I could expand my palate but chardonnays make me shudder.

I am similarly wimpy with strong cheese. Who likes them? what kinds? Mostly, cheese is just delicious! It makes other food delicious. It's magical like that.

Maybe later I'll ask about dessert, if someone doesn't burst with excitement over some delectable treat!

(cough-cough-chocolate!)

Mouser
Well, my doctorate is purely honorary, and Harry here is only qualified to work on sailors.
Mouser

Re: Food and Drink at Tom's Dinner Table

Postby jaybee on December 14th, 2009, 4:04 am

I'm not much of a drinker, but when I do have a drink, it's usually wine. I can nurse a single glass of wine all night. My preference is a very dry white German wine. I don't mind a slightly sweeter white, but dry is scrumptious.

Dry red is also nice, but I'm never sure if I'm going to get hit with a wine made from high-histamine grapes. It's not pretty when that happens; so I just avoid reds altogether.

Cheese. Hmmm... I love strong cheeses; so a very old cheddar (5 or 6 years old) is nice. Anything blue gets my vote. I also like a strongly flavoured Swiss -- the nuttiness is quite pleasant.

I don't like crusty bread, but any soft-crusted very fresh bread is good with the cheese. A touch of a sweet chutney goes well with the bread and cheese.

Dessert would be something light. Being the queen of maple (ahem), I make a very light maple mousse -- made with whipped egg white to make it very light and airy. A little bit of that would add the perfect sweet touch to the end of the meal.

Excuse me. I have to go eat......
jaybee

Postby tracy on December 14th, 2009, 10:37 am

video is who on earth is tom baker where tom interviews himself that was very good how that wasput together it s very funny ive now transferd it on to dvd .still got the video keeping the videos im not getting rid of them. my faverite drink is barcardy and coke it use to be cider but barcardy and coke dont give me headache proberly would if i had to much
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby Mouser on December 14th, 2009, 7:52 pm

'Who On Earth Is Tom Baker?' There's a slap my forehead "Duh" moment! Thanks Tracy.

You're a brave one Jaybee, dry wine and strong cheese. Even blue cheese! I can handle gorgonzola in Italian food, oh yum! I get better as I get older liking or at least tolerating foods that previously had me shying away.

I used to drink rum & coke too, but I rarely have a mixed drink now. If I did it would be a vodka sour.

Truth be told, my favorite drink is a tall glass of cold milk.
Well, my doctorate is purely honorary, and Harry here is only qualified to work on sailors.
Mouser

Postby jaybee on December 16th, 2009, 1:09 am

I rather like strong flavours in my food. But, I really don't like spicy hot food. A mild bite is fine, but anything more ruins my taste, not to mention the fact that it also ruins my mouth. Just can't handle it. Anything with vinegar, or tart lemon or lime. Yum.

Milk is something I've not been able to deal with since forever. Even when I was a kid, my mother had to put some flavouring in it -- anything to change the taste. There's something about the taste of milk that gets my gag reflex going -- not a good thing!
jaybee

Postby pattie anne on December 18th, 2009, 10:28 pm

Pattie Anne always wondered: the bread looked home-made (pondering if HIS Sue had baked it). And, what kind of cheese was HE eating? (Or, did HE just mention cheese and bread while eating just the bread?) Well, HE was making slices of something. And does anyone know what wine HE was sipping, so happily? Must go watch it again. Memory going all mushy on me.

Yes! A loaf of bread, a bit of cheese, some wine, a candle and Our Mister TOM. "Heaven!" Tom Baker
"And as for Tom Baker, well, I'll always be the Doctor,
won't I?" TOM BAKER
pattie anne

Postby paradoxFox on January 7th, 2010, 4:42 pm

I'll sip wine. I'll eat cheese. I love a good bit of bread.

I also prefer a white wine, preferably German.

...but a glass of a red goes well with a good, crusty, bread. A bit hard on the outside, soft on the inside.

I'm fond of simple cheeses with bread or a thick cracker, like Danbo or abit of havari.

(but when I cook I use all sorts of cheeses, and I love all sorts of cheeses.)

To sit and tell and listen to stories with a good bread, a glass of red and a simple cheese sounds like heaven to me. Pity we can't all get together. I think we'd have a grand time!
A life without cause is a life without effect.
paradoxFox

Location: The United States of America but wherever I am there I be

Postby Mouser on January 12th, 2010, 11:20 pm

Wouldn't it be awesome if we REALLY could have dinner with Tom? If he couldn't attend, maybe we could get that '5 Doctors' cardboard cutout?

Funny no one is turning their nose up at cheese. It seems to be universally loved.

I was thinking about one of my favorite desserts, Tiramisu. And wouldn't you know? One of the ingredients is Mascarpone cheese. There's a sprinkle of chocolate too! Mmmmmm!
Mouser

Postby Captain Rum on January 13th, 2010, 2:21 am

As we're talking cheese I'm a fan of the mature variety...and you can't beat a ploughmans!! As for alcohol I enjoy lager, cider or wine but don't go overboard with it, way I see it if you keep to your limit you can take in more of the ambience of the evening and if anyone else gets squiffy you can remind them what they got up to the next day.....that happened to me a few times, the worse one being dared (while drunk) to unicycle into a posh restaurant....luckily i did it without hitting anything or anyone and gave my £20 winnings to Children In Need :P
"Aaaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhhh....me laddie!"

"You damned courtiers to the Queen, you're nothing but lap dogs to a slip of a girl!"

Hope to meet a nautical cove or two online to chat about Tom, "Who", etc :-)
Captain Rum

Location: Yeovil....but only when my Tardis needs an overhaul.

Postby WhoGabe on January 14th, 2010, 1:22 pm

Mouser wrote:Wouldn't it be awesome if we REALLY could have dinner with Tom?

To listen to his stories narrated by the man himself (in his wonderful voice)...? Ooh, it definitely would!

As for food and drink, I love delicate food, but I live in a part of Italy where strong simple tastes are a must!
So I am an "extremist" gourmand: fresh salami and polenta grilled in the fireplace with shepherd's cheese three months old and a red new wine, or prawns sauté in red orange juice with Indian rice and a dry light wine.

Although... I will enjoy a pint of ale and ham roll any time! ;)
<<Strange how a teapot can represent at the same time
the comforts of solitude and the pleasures of company.>>
WhoGabe

Next

Return to Dinner Table Talk