70th aniversary of the wizard of oz

This is the place for anything which doesn't go anywhere else!

Moderator: Moderator

Re: 70th aniversary of the wizard of oz

Postby madgoth on February 28th, 2010, 5:46 am

Who can identify this lovely? Image
madgoth

Postby Gold Usher on February 28th, 2010, 4:43 pm

Well she's obviously from the early '00s...as in 1900s.

The headpiece is....not quite right for Glenda with the OZ as I dont' think she was tied to OZ with being "the Good Witch" of other parts of the countryside.

OK...got me buffaloed. I say it's not Glenda but not sure who.

Lovely lady either way :lol:
Gold Usher

Postby biddenden_sue on February 28th, 2010, 5:37 pm

Well, I can't find a photo to confirm this anywhere, but I'd bet 50p that she is Vivian Reed, who played Princess Gloria in the early Oz films: Patchwork Girl of Oz, Magic Cloak of Oz, and His Majesty the Scarecrow of Oz (all 1914). Twenty-five years later, Reed had a silent bit in the most famous screen version of L. Frank Baum's story - the one starring Judy Garland filmed in 1939!

I feel sure that it is her. It would be lovely to find a photo to prove it though. She's beautiful, isn't she! :)
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. Douglas Adams.
biddenden_sue

Postby madgoth on February 28th, 2010, 11:29 pm

Well, I am not exactly sure and that's why I asked. She was used at the beginning of Baum's other OZ films like the trademark lion in MGM She has been shown in other colors too. One person said it was Ozma of Oz and another said it was the evil Oz woman.

I wondered what her name was. Interesting headdress, though. I always meant to read the Oz books and I never got around to it.
madgoth

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous