70th aniversary of the wizard of oz

This is the place for anything which doesn't go anywhere else!

Moderator: Moderator

70th aniversary of the wizard of oz

Postby tracy on November 5th, 2009, 3:52 pm

gosh 70 years ago the wizard of oz was first shown they dont make films like that no more it was a good film . what are your views on the film . i think if another was made now dont think it would be as good as the origenal
tracy with out the E
tracy

Re: 70th aniversary of the wizard of oz

Postby gobs o'cats on November 7th, 2009, 8:33 am

My mother used to force us watch that damned movie! Those flying monkeys scared the hell out of me. Once I grew up, I swore to myself I'd never watch it again. And I haven't! But don't ask me how many times I've seen Pirates of the Caribbean...
gobs o'cats

Postby tracy on November 7th, 2009, 10:58 am

gobs o'cats wrote:My mother used to force us watch that damned movie! Those flying monkeys scared the hell out of me. Once I grew up, I swore to myself I'd never watch it again. And I haven't! But don't ask me how many times I've seen Pirates of the Caribbean...
sorry to hear that every one has differnet tastes of what they like i use to like to watch the sound of music every time it came on
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby merlinsseer on November 7th, 2009, 11:04 am

not fond of flying monkeys either- almost , ALMOST scared me as badly as the old lady in the basement in the movie" House on Haunted Hill ". Vincent Price , geez i miss him .
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
merlinsseer

Postby tracy on November 7th, 2009, 4:51 pm

ok sorry about that . tell you what i love is a film such as saw and other films like that plenty of blood and guts the more the better and the frightening the better to. so much for me clicking the font color i have tryed 5 times and the color aint coming up when ive wrote some think ive done what you said merlin typical of me that is not getting some think right oh well it will work one of these days im proberly doing some think wrong told you im not tecnally minded but doing that should be easy
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby merlinsseer on November 7th, 2009, 5:44 pm

toms no 1 fan wrote:ok sorry about that . tell you what i love is a film such as saw and other films like that plenty of blood and guts the more the better and the frightening the better to. so much for me clicking the font color i have tryed 5 times and the color aint coming up when ive wrote some think ive done what you said merlin typical of me that is not getting some think right oh well it will work one of these days im proberly doing some think wrong told you im not tecnally minded but doing that should be easy

i guess when you live in Kansas and know what it's really like the movie just isn't as magical as it is for others-lol. i have noticed that when you click the font color it sometimes starts in odd places in the page script- especially in reply mode. When you click on the font color does a box full of colored blocks pop up at the top of the page?
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
merlinsseer

Postby Jyvette on November 15th, 2009, 3:54 am

Ha! I'm actually watching this right now... Slightly more cheesy than I remembered... Though I'm curious to read the book(s) to see how they differ. I've been doing that, recently, with Alice's Adventures In Wonderland.
Jyvette

Postby tracy on November 15th, 2009, 4:02 pm

yes i recorded it to keep as im sure when my 4 year old nethew is older he may want to watch it
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby Gold Usher on December 8th, 2009, 2:28 pm

OZ...yes, it's here on one of the shelves as well. Hard to believe it's THAT old now.

I will have to watch it again sometime when I can sit long enough. I never did see it in color until we bought the disc (parents didnt' get a color tv until 1976).

You don't find films like that anymore that have such longevity and popularity. Simple but fun everyone can watch with no obvious message in it...other than there's no place like home. In five years...ask someone about "Wall-E" (that 'Short Circuit" robot ripoff) and see what they say.

"Sound of Music"..sorry, I'll pass on that one. Too sugary sweet for my palate. "Mary Poppins"...saw it when it came out but have no desire to own it.
Gold Usher

Postby pattie anne on January 4th, 2010, 9:38 pm

That movie came out the year my husband was born. Seems almost a sacrilege not to watch it. And of course the book and its sequels were better. Really surprised with the phenomenal success of the movie Hollywood didn't go and do all the other books in the series. Sad. Two anecdotes from the film follow. The long coat worn by the fortune teller, Professor Marvel was bought at a second hand store, and the owner's tag was it in. His name? L. Frank Baum. My mom was a teenager at the time, and she read in a movie magazine where little people were auditioned for the part of the Munchkins, and arrived by train, from all over the states, when it was time to film it. Can't help but wonder if any of them became life long friends, when they all wound up back at their various homes.
"And as for Tom Baker, well, I'll always be the Doctor,
won't I?" TOM BAKER
pattie anne

Next

Return to Miscellaneous