Pattie Anne's Joplin Missouri

This is the place for anything which doesn't go anywhere else!

Moderator: Moderator

Pattie Anne's Joplin Missouri

Postby Moderator on May 23rd, 2011, 3:46 pm

Dear Forum Posters and Posers -

The good news is I just heard from Pattie Anne and she said to tell everyone she is OK, thought she is presently running on a generator, which is about to run out of gasoline.

Joplin, Missouri is about an hour away from her and so far over 2,000 buildings have been damaged or completely destroyed by a tornado than was on the ground, tearing though the city for over four miles, yesterday. Two members of her church were in the hospital that was hit. One man died in the tornado and the other was air lifted to St. John's Hospital in Springfield. She said she would post photos when she gets her power back. There was also two smaller tornadoes that hit Noel, Missouri just to the south of her (about 10 miles).

The bad news is that they are at present under the same weather alerts (severe thunder storm/tornado warnings) today, that they were under yesterday, that spawned all the previous tornadoes.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to Pattie Anne and her family, and all the other good old boys and girls in the Missouri Ozarks, and mid-America that have suffered so much in these recent storms and tornadoes.

"They don't call us Tornado Alley for nuttin', ya know!"
Pattie Anne

Best,
Dirk :ugeek:

Re: Pattie Anne's Joplin Missouri

Postby tracy on May 23rd, 2011, 6:38 pm

thank you dirk for informing us of the trouble pattie is having im sorry to hear about the storms and of the guy who died our thoughts are with pattie and every one else .and hope all will be well soon
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby MCH on May 23rd, 2011, 9:01 pm

I saw that storm on doplar radar yesterday. It was a really bad one. I'm glad that she is ok and I hope that they get power back on soon. I feel for those peeps. Tornadoes are really scary and devastating.

And her area had that bad snow storm last winter too. OY!

MCH
MCH

Postby Clara Listensprechen on May 24th, 2011, 2:42 am

----
Last edited by Clara Listensprechen on May 30th, 2011, 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clara Listensprechen

Postby Who dat? on May 24th, 2011, 3:10 pm

Thanks Dirk for the update.
I hope our friend patty ann, and everyone else, gets thru this with no more troubles.
Our best wishes go out to them in times like this.
Oh yeah, all the time actually.
Pat
Doctor: "I'm Lord President, and I'm called sir."
Who dat?

Postby pattie anne on May 25th, 2011, 9:54 pm

dear all -

thank you very much for your comments. and i couldn't agree 'moore' with clara. being a retired CNA and all round volunteer, i have worked will all three groups and they are ace, ace!

just realized a bit ago i don't own the rights to the photos i've collected about joplin that are on my computer, so please go to any search engine and type in

Joplin tornado

and you will find a lot of them to look at. there are even some short vids on youtube 'out there'.

tornadoes hit both to the north of us and to the south of us, sunday evening.

we were under a tornado warning/watch last night and according to the latest reports another nasty cell is due in friday night.

but we do live in tornado alley (the usa takes 80% of the world's tornado hits) so we shouldn't complain. we always could move i suppose.

so far only our Living Room ceiling has been damaged from the heavier than normal rain and hail. will posts pics of it, soon.

the brother of a lady in our church who was lost in the storm was found today. he is in a hospital in joplin, injured, but alive.

our power was only off about 12.5 hours, sunday, so we were very grateful for that. folks all over Joplin sadly, can not say the same thing, as many of them are still without power, and joplin is still under boil water restrictions.

again, thank you for all your concerns.

love,
pattie anne
Last edited by pattie anne on May 26th, 2011, 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"And as for Tom Baker, well, I'll always be the Doctor,
won't I?" TOM BAKER
pattie anne

Postby tracy on May 26th, 2011, 9:54 am

sorry to hear about your living room ceiling pattie i hope all will be back to normal soon and that you will be able to get your leak sorted we are thinking of you all xx
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby MCH on May 26th, 2011, 12:37 pm

Pattie,

I was keeping an eye on the weather the day that tornado hit Joplin as I was in the Saint Louis area then. Around 4pm I noticed that there were many pop up storm cells around Missouri and that one was over your area. I kept checking every 30 or 45 minutes and I noticed that the cell over your area wasn't moving. It just kept getting bigger and dumped rain for hours. I remember thinking how bad it would be under that cell with two hours of heavy rain. It reminded me of when we had a torrential downpour that took out or driveway. Then I checked around 6pm and the cell had all the sudden moved off to the east. I figured that had to be a bad turn of events. It was about an hour and a half after I saw the cell move that I heard of the tornado. It's amazing to me that a stationary storm like that could all the sudden spawn a giant tornado.

I wondered then if all that rain was over your house. How much rain did you get from that system? How far away from your house was the tornados path? I looked around on the net. Read reports and watched videos. And thought of you and your family. I'm glad that you guys are ok.

MCH
MCH

Postby pattie anne on May 26th, 2011, 3:04 pm

dear MCH -

eight inches of rain in two days. i think this is some sort of record for mcdonald county where we live. (modern records go back to and start with 1950.)

we are 36 miles - 57Km - 40 minutes via freeway - from joplin, mo.

actually my husband was in the home depot building supply store, buying a band saw blade just one day before the storm hit. that store was totally destroyed by the tornado with 7 people being killed there (3 of them a dad and his two children 2 & 5).

seems the experts have upgraded the tornado to an EF-5 ranking the joplin storm among the deadliest and the most rare. seems EF-5s only happens about every 20-30 months.

122 is the latest official dead. the search dogs and their handlers of late have only 'recovered' and not 'rescued' anyone, but there is still hope that more people will be found alive in the rubble.

5 schools totally destroyed with 3 others receiving damage. fortunately all of them were hit on sunday and all of them are insured.

several churches were in the path of the tornado, so the ministers there have their work cut out for them in 'moore' than one way.

over 5,000 buildings now counted as destroyed/damaged in the storm's path.

so odd. part of me doesn't want to watch or read any'moore' about it, but like the kennedy assassination all those years ago, one just returns to it. as if our hearts are saying, if we but look at it one more time, it will all go away, being just a figment of the imagination, or a very bad dream.

love,
pattie anne :geek:
"And as for Tom Baker, well, I'll always be the Doctor,
won't I?" TOM BAKER
pattie anne

Return to Miscellaneous