Ranters room

This is the place for anything which doesn't go anywhere else!

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Ranters room

Postby MCH on July 15th, 2011, 1:59 pm

I wonder if an when they will bring back the Doctors daughter?
You know, he could start his own race of time lords.
He almost did once but the people were also infused with human and Dalek DNA and were all killed by the Daleks.

Right now the Doctor is chasing down a stolen baby River Song. Without Amy and Rory. Amy goofed and told the Doctor that she saw him get murdered in the future. She thought that she was talking to a "cloned" version of him but it was the real Doctor.
MCH

Postby The Cloaked One on July 16th, 2011, 10:06 am

Hmmmm...
I'm starting season three now. The clip episode took me by surprise though. At least in my opinion, season one was better than season two. More episodes XD, Dr. Crusher instead of Ms. Protocol, and less silly episodes like Manhunt. Q Who and A Matter of Honor were both fabulous though.

Season three, so far the Ensigns of Command was a reasonable episode. Data seems to fluctuate from being almost completely human 'The Naked Now' to completely robot and unable to understand most anything. This one had a nice, slightly hilarious, balance wherein he went from one extreme to the other while still being Data. The creepiest part, however, was the girl working with him. She kisses him near the beginning and has a strange, almost unhealthy, obsession with robots in general. That could have been removed, or more played for laughs with Data being some strange kind of hero winning even the hearts of the women.

It just seemed a bit strange. She alleges that the leader will not 'take order from robots' which might or might not be true since she is the only one who says it. Some kind of strange 'racism' against robots, that did not appear to be his drive at any point, the closest point being where he 'turned off' Data. He might or might not have resorted to killing a real officer, but enough about that. The other side of things was her sort of 'racism' towards robots. She chooses to follow him because he is a robot and no other reason, which might have changed during the course of the episode with no explanation given.

Overly strange, and creepy.
Si-Fy and Fantasy, that is where my heart lies. To Doctor Who and its 18 years of brilliance, still waiting on the 50 yr anniversary!
The Cloaked One

Postby The Cloaked One on July 25th, 2011, 12:22 pm

Finished season 3 and started 4, another fabulous Borg episode. Unfortunately, they don't really follow up on such an epic adventure and the ramifications of what happened there.
I'm also working on Xena Warrior Princess, just saw the first two episodes.
When I get through these series, there's still Babylon 5, Farscape, Lost in Space, Battle Star Galactica, Deep Space Nine, Avengers, and a few other series.
Though many of the series listed above, I saw in my childhood, I don't remember most of them sadly. Of Xena, all I remembered is the intro, of Star Trek only Picard, of Doctor Who, Tom Baker and bits of Arc in Space. Slowly recollecting my 'database.' XD
Si-Fy and Fantasy, that is where my heart lies. To Doctor Who and its 18 years of brilliance, still waiting on the 50 yr anniversary!
The Cloaked One

Postby MCH on July 25th, 2011, 8:58 pm

Xena was fun until the whole Gabrielle and Xena having babies and fighting each other nonsense.

I can't recall if it was a Hercules or Xena episode where there was a character that was the queen of monsters. She looked kind of like a big snakey, medusa looking character. I wonder if the same actress played the queen of the Racnoss in one of the Nu Who episodes. The ladies sounded the same. Had the same movements as well.

Ok, Bridget Hoffman was the one that played Echidna on Hercules with Kevin Sorbo. Haven't found the Racnoss actress yet. Ok, her name is Sarah Parish. Who knew! They sound and act so similar.
MCH

Postby tch on July 30th, 2011, 7:12 pm

Small rant: just watched 'Dreamland' ( very fun), but the extras are some show called 'Doctor Who's greatest moments'.

Okay, it's all about the new show, I can live with that, but, it's pre-Matt Smith and there's almost no Eccelston footage, so it turns out to be 'David Tennant's greatest moments'.

Guys, the show was only five years old and there'd only been two Doctors. Jumping the gun on the 'greatest moments'.
It's like those celeberties who write a memoir when they are thirty!

Some decent interviews, but the title bothers me and when you get to the 'greatest companion moments', you realize it should be 'greatest cute girl from now and occasionally John Barrowman moments'.

I feel better having gotten that out of my system.
tch

Postby MCH on July 31st, 2011, 2:50 am

Glad that you feel better TCH. :lol:

I haven't heard of Dreamland. I'll have to look it up.
MCH

Postby The Cloaked One on August 5th, 2011, 1:34 pm

I'm slowly running out of Old Who. I've got 116 episodes left. One season left of Hartnell, one season of Troughton, most all of Davidson's tenure, 2 serials of Colin Baker, and 3 serials of Sylvester McCoy.
I'm currently going into Harnell's third season, his second season was a surprisingly good pickup from his previous season. I really enjoyed Planet of the Giants, The Rescue, The Romans, and The Webbed Planet. Time Meddler was also very good.
Kind of sad to see Susan, Barbara, and Ian all leave the Tardis during the second season.
Some things I have noted from Hartnell's era. Terry Nation is probably the most influential writer in Doctor Who, followed by Dennis Spooner. Spooner added comedy to the series, as well as the Time Meddler, worked with Terry Nation, and was given the first serial of Troughton's era to help define his character before Spooner left the show for good.
I also think that Susan leaving the show had the most profound effect on the show than anything else. Carole Ann Ford left because neither she nor Hartnell could convince the writers/producers to give Susan character growth. I found something from William Russell, Ian, that talked about her leaving the show and that it created a hole in the cast. Later he and Barbara, Jacqueline Hill, left, though I'm not entirely sure why.
For most shows, having an almost entire cast change out would be devastating, even today. Good news was the Doctor was the most popular character so that the show was not lost on the viewers. Vicky also made a good replacement for Susan. After many more replacements for the sidekicks, the writers decided they wanted to replace Hartnell in the Celestial Toymaker episode. The serial starts off with the Doctor being made invisible, but when he becomes visible at the end, his actor was supposed to have been replaced. The higher ups decided to veto that, but then allowed it only a few short serials later in Tenth Planet. An entire cast change from when the show initially began. XD Amazing.
The Cloaked One

Postby tch on August 6th, 2011, 12:48 am

I've really enjoyed the Hartnell era. There was a sense of adventure and going off into the unknown, it felt like when they landed somewhere they were there for awhile, and there was nice characterization of the original four.

I liked how it started out pretty tense between the Doctor and Barbara and Ian and they slowly learned to trust/like each other.
The original four is one of my favorite Doctor/companion combos.
tch

Postby tch on August 14th, 2011, 12:12 pm

Just finished watching season 6 part one and I just found out who River Song is...

Curse you Stephen Moffatt!!!!

So much good stuff in that season that I was willing to cut him a lot of slack over all the loose plot threads. Now,part 2 had better really impress me.
tch

Postby MCH on August 14th, 2011, 12:54 pm

I was disappointed in last nights show. The best of Matt Smiths Doctor. I thought that it was going to be a brand new show. Drat!

Who River Song is makes me wonder what in blazes were they thinking? I mean ewww! He supposedly marries Amy Ponds daughter!?! And she was a cool character to watch other than her always saying, " spoilers" which annoyed me.

I too hope that this season will get back on track. " fingers crossed"
MCH

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous