Ranters room

This is the place for anything which doesn't go anywhere else!

Moderator: Moderator

Ranters room

Postby MCH on May 4th, 2011, 12:24 pm

This is a place to continue discussions that get off track of the topic thread they are in. Used so that we don't dilute the intent of the original topic. So, come on in and say what's on yer noggin'.
MCH

Re: Ranters room

Postby Clara Listensprechen on May 4th, 2011, 9:26 pm

----
Last edited by Clara Listensprechen on May 30th, 2011, 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clara Listensprechen

Postby Prydonian on May 5th, 2011, 2:18 am

I don't mind ranting about fast food vendors. When one orders their food, the person at the other end of the intercom, sometimes seem to not be paying attention or even listening as they always say anything else after you say that's all. Or they get the order completely wrong.

That's my rant of the day,
Prydonian 8-)
Prydonian

Postby MCH on May 5th, 2011, 12:37 pm

You guys aren't going to believe this. Two times yesterday I wrote something in here and both times they didn't make it. I think I'm losing my mind here, lol. I have somewhere to be this morning so I'll try again later. OY :roll:

MCH

Ok, I'm back.

Clara wrote: " Can't or won't? What animals see a need for, they usually accomplish. Human beings are the only critters who have ever felt a need to do that."
To my comment that animals can't build planes, trains or automobiles.

I say they can't. They don't have the brain power or the physical attributes to create such complex machinery.
Also, in regards to them accomplishing tasks that they have a need for, animals have limitations to what they can do and think so many obstacles are accepted then they ignore it or find a way around it.

Humans can both envision and create things. Through necessity or just imagination they make things. They recognize a need, figure out how to do something and does it. Or at the very least tries to. Humans do the things they do because they can. Why do they? Because they see a need or want to.

People create music and art for no other reason then the pleasure of it. Yes, some get money for it but so what. That is a way for the person to get food and a home to live in or to be able to expand their tools of their trade. They take photos and videos of nature and other things that they want to share with other people, or keep as a way to revisit the places or just because they enjoy doing so.

Scientist create artificial body parts so that human and animal lives are saved from death or debilitations. What about eye glasses and surgery to improve our vision? False teeth to help us keep eating. I could go on and on of course.

Why do humans bother doing such things? Again, they do it because they see a need and they can do it.

More later.

MCH
MCH

Postby tracy on May 6th, 2011, 2:13 pm

my rant is after watching a day time programme this morning about a mother who has had things done to look like blumin barbie that she wants her 1 daughter to be the same her daughter who is just 7 has been given for her birthday offher mum a blumin voucher to have a bust job done when shes older now you tell me what use is that voucher to that kid she cant use it yet and how long does the voucher last for by the time the kid is old enough to decide to want her bust doing if she does want them the voucher might not be any good .i think the mum is exployting the kid .also they were talking about another mum who took her kid to have botox and she was only young .i dont think its right but then again i guess its other peolpes views .i just cant see it and wouldnt have my kid if i had ant go though that .thats my rant
Last edited by tracy on May 7th, 2011, 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby MCH on May 6th, 2011, 7:55 pm

I agree Tracy, parents can do some bizarre things to their kids. and for what really?

I have every respect for Most parents. It's a really hard job.

MCH
Last edited by MCH on May 7th, 2011, 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
MCH

Postby MCH on May 7th, 2011, 12:09 am

Clara wrote:
"Among humans we've had our own cannibals, so let's not pretend that humans are any better on that count. There are many religious humans who have ritualized cannibalism every Sunday (eating of flesh and drinking of blood). It's a holy thing to humans traditionally and even now."

You're a hoot! Yeah us Christians live for Sundays so we can get our weekly dose of man flesh and blood. It's quite refreshing you know. You should try it sometime. 8-)

There are modern day real consumers of flesh and blood though. And they do it for their own religious purposes. Some though, cannibalize because there's something seriously wrong with their brains. I never want to meet up with one of those. :? Nor would I want to be a family member of a tribe that eats their dead. Yikes!

Clara wrote:
" Survival of one's life and family requires self-centerism. Survival of the species often requires self-sacrifice for the rest of the species."

Survival is hard wired into every living thing as far as I know.

Here are two definitions of the words self centered; "Engrossed in oneself and one's own affairs;" and "concerned solely or chiefly with one's own interests, welfare, etc.". Humans have the ability to step outside of being "self centered" to actively help other humans or animals or plants. They don't always do this but they can.

One thing comes to mind when I think about this notion of survival and self centeredness in animals. Take, for instance, some herd animals standing out in the savannah of Africa. A mix of Zebra, Wildebeest, gazelles, etc. Along comes a predator. Let's say a Lioness. Now that gal is looking to make a meal of one of those herd animals and they know it. Every last one of the herd animals that knows the Lioness is there fears for it's own safety. That is a survival mode.

It is also a self centered mode considering the words of the definitions I posted. They are concerned with their own welfare. They probably aren't thinking about how old Zed Zebra is probably gonna get it because he is old and week. They are worried if they have been singled out to be a guest in the Lioness's belly. When the attack comes you see the herd animals run for their lives.

Ok, hang in there. I'm going to digress a bit to help my point. If say that Lioness went after a baby wildebeest it is possible that the mother will try and get the predator to stop. This to, I say, is just a survival mode. She has an investment in this baby for the survival of the species and her brain is hard wired to respond. Let me also point out that no one else tries to help her and her calf. Certainly not anyone from another species.

Now, let's examine Meerkats. They have strong "family" ties and will fight to the death for sake of home and other members of the group. They will also raid and kill adults and the offspring of rival groups. And the female leader of a group will sometimes kill the babies of a subordinate female in her own family group. All of this is done for the survival of there genetic line. Although, you don't see any Meerkats risking life and limb for any rival groups member or species.

Humans can and do go to the aid of other humans, other animals and even plants. What is their motivation for this? Does it help them to survive? Does it help their species to survive? I say, and this is my own personal take on it, that it is because of a "Devine spark". Something that God gave us so that we could do these things. That doesn't mean that everyone chooses to do so but the capacity is there. And yes there are some animals, dogs and horses come to mind, that have helped humans but that could only be that they, in a dogs case, view the human as a pack member humans. I don't know enough about equine behavior to account for them other then it possibly being another matter of family survival.

"whew" break time, lol.
MCH
Last edited by MCH on May 7th, 2011, 2:26 am, edited 4 times in total.
MCH

Postby Clara Listensprechen on May 7th, 2011, 1:59 am

----
Last edited by Clara Listensprechen on May 30th, 2011, 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clara Listensprechen

Postby MCH on May 7th, 2011, 2:07 am

But my point wasn't whether or not humans kill. It was rather that they can supersede the survival and self centeredness inherent in the "animal brain" to help one another and others.

Since when have animals gone by "thou shalt not kill?" Animals kill for food, for self preservation and for the survival of their clan. I don't know why but groups of Chimps will raid another group and kill and eat one of them. Is that just because they need the protein? Is it because they are protecting their territory by terrorism? or is it because they just enjoy a good murder now and then? *shrugs*

Many humans kill for self preservation and for protection of home and family. Wars have been waged for home and family survival. And yes some humans kill for the enjoyment of killing.

God has tried to tell us humans that if we don't kill, if we don't steal, if we aren't greedy and lazy and have **** with someone else's mate, and a number of other things, things would go so well down here on earth. If we could only do those things how much better off we'd be. But can we always do those things? No. Why not? Because, in some cases we don't want to "free will", and in other cases because we are influenced by a being that would see things another way from God's point of view. At least that's my take on things such as it is.

Btw, I've tried to figure out how to do that quote thingy and I can't get it to work. Have any suggestions?

MCH
MCH

Postby Clara Listensprechen on May 7th, 2011, 2:49 am

----
Clara Listensprechen

Next

Return to Miscellaneous