Which teachers do you still remember from school?

Talk about things close to your heart.

Moderator: Moderator

Which teachers do you still remember from school?

Postby philipdalton on June 7th, 2014, 6:07 pm

Which teachers at school do you still have fond memories of, or maybe not so fond? Who were the strictest teachers you remember, or the least strict? Was there a teacher, or maybe more, that you had a childish crush on? Which teachers taught your favourite subjects?
“Oh yeah, you really got me now, you've got me so I don't know what I'm doing"
philipdalton

Re: Which teachers do you still remember from school?

Postby Betty on June 7th, 2014, 10:44 pm

I had a crush on a young teacher in my last year of secondary school, which made it impossible to concentrate in class. I often like to remember those times. I remember almost all of my teachers since my first year of school, and I remember most of them fondly. I generally had it good with teachers. I only wish I were so lucky with the other kids...
One of my favourite teacher-related memories is when I went back to school after the summer holidays the year after I took my IGCSEs. My geography teacher, a tiny, but very scary Irish woman, came to me and gave me a hug. I didn't know why she did it then, but later that day I found out that I was one of the only two people in my school to get an A* in geography that year. She hardly ever gave me anything better than a C, but I realised that was part of her plan.
"Once, I was a real turtle"
Betty

Postby tracy on June 8th, 2014, 2:48 pm

i didnt have a crush on any one and i was glad to leave school as ididnt like it .but i do remember some thing i did at school in the play ground at the end of it there was some fenceing and that that lead to a house the fense had a hole in it and me being alittle naughty saw the lads peeping though the hole omg i will never forget what i did and how they didnt know it was me as i run off to the other side of the play ground when i had done it well what i did was push the one lad in to the other as they were stooping down any way as the one lad went in to the other went though the hole .and i remember to this day that the lads came up to the dinner time teachers who were out side and told them what happened and they didnt suspect me and i giggle to my self now and then thnking about it .i was naughty when i was younger well wasnt most people lol :lol: :lol:
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby philipdalton on June 11th, 2014, 5:11 pm

Does anyone ever watch episodes of 'Grange Hill' on YouTube, or own any videos or DVD's of the series, or remember it from when it was shown on TV? Does anyone know of a particular episode which they feel they can relate to their own memories of their time spent in school?
philipdalton

Postby philipdalton on July 12th, 2014, 9:38 pm

Corporal punishment in schools would be regarded as child abuse nowadays, but many of us, myself included, are old enough to remember a time when it was still tolerated. In fact, one of my best friend's brothers went to a private school in the 1990's and the cane was still in use there even then as it had at that time only been abolished in state schools. Does anyone remember the worst teacher they knew for using one of these implements? :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
philipdalton

Postby tony ingram on July 15th, 2014, 1:26 pm

philipdalton wrote:Corporal punishment in schools would be regarded as child abuse nowadays, but many of us, myself included, are old enough to remember a time when it was still tolerated. In fact, one of my best friend's brothers went to a private school in the 1990's and the cane was still in use there even then as it had at that time only been abolished in state schools. Does anyone remember the worst teacher they knew for using one of these implements? :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I remember a French teacher named Mr Abernathy who was very keen on giving boys the slipper. He'd take a run up from the end of the classroom! We called him Abernazi behind his back.
tony ingram

Postby philipdalton on July 15th, 2014, 2:50 pm

[quote=
I remember a French teacher named Mr Abernathy who was very keen on giving boys the slipper. He'd take a run up from the end of the classroom! We called him Abernazi behind his back.[/quote]

He sounds rather like Mr. Hitchens, my RE teacher from junior school. His personal belief was of being 'cruel to be kind'. He asked us all what pets we had at home once, and one boy put his hand up and said 'Boa constrictor'. He then asked the boy to come and bend over and have his bottom smacked with a pump in front of everyone else as a punishment for telling lies, which shows he couldn't take a joke.

There was one time when he threatened to use it on me. Me and two other boys broke a test tube accidentally while playing under a table and he had all three of us lined up in front of a whole class. We thought we were going to get it, but in the end he whacked the pump on a desk as a threat of what would happen if the same thing occurred again.

The worst teacher for using the slipper when I was my father was at a boys' school was a PE teacher called Mr. Phipps. I've recently found out from a Facebook group he was also one of the first teachers to be employed at my own school when it was first opened in the 50's.
philipdalton

Postby NICHLOAS R on September 8th, 2014, 12:42 am

"I got the cane a few times this was the 70s for fighting and other things my form teacher mr dunbar very nice man I was a bit of a rebel still am times I loved school times I hated it
NICHLOAS R

Return to Home, Hearth and Heart