Reading...What's on your pages???

Talk about the films you're seeing, programmes you're watching and books you're reading.

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Reading...What's on your pages???

Postby merlinsseer on May 2nd, 2010, 3:53 pm

Gold Usher wrote: I do wish it was a little more 'sophisticated' in writing style...too easy a read, meant for younger readers perhaps?

I had the same problem with 'Eragon'by Christopher Paolini.Granted, he was 14 or 15 when he wrote it, but the way the press raved about that book you would have thought he was writing on level with Tolkien.I got about three chapters into it and it's sat on the shelf since then.
My step-son was crazy about it , so I took him on a road trip to meet Paolini at a book signing. I have to say that the author himself was a very charming young man and interesting to talk to ( I refrained from admitting I wasn't THAT impressed with his book )
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
merlinsseer

Postby Gold Usher on May 3rd, 2010, 4:05 am

Well I currently have three books running...

Black Adder (the scripts for all 4 seasons) second reading

Cleese Encounters (about John Cleese) new book from an estate sale last weekend

and started

Nicholas and Alexandra again yesterday...this will be about the 6th read of that one .
Gold Usher

Postby bonnie on May 9th, 2010, 12:47 am

A short while ago, Lynn Johnston announced that she was retiring from writing and drawing the For Better or For Worse comic strips. So I read every single copy of the books starting at the beginning to the ending (I own them all). It took over 2 weeks to read them all.
Last edited by bonnie on May 9th, 2010, 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
bonnie

Postby Jillx on May 9th, 2010, 12:57 am

Hi Bonnie, great to see you here, it is Bonnie from Up North isn't it? Did you bring Polar Bear with you?
Take care, Luv Jillx
Jillx

Postby bonnie on May 9th, 2010, 1:04 am

Yes, Jillx, it is me. Nope, Polar bear didn't come.
bonnie

Postby Jillx on May 9th, 2010, 1:14 am

Go out and catch him :lol:
Take care, Luv Jillx
Jillx

Postby Gold Usher on May 9th, 2010, 5:17 am

Yes, tell PolarBear we need his famous mud pie.

It's summertime where he is..I think he's run out of snow to ski on..maybe we'll get him to sign up here!

Just getting to the last script in the BlackAdder book.

(Yes, Tom's episode is in there too :lol:)
Gold Usher

Postby mikotyk on May 26th, 2010, 11:07 pm

It's good to see that I'm not the only one who juggles books in his spare time. I usually have about 2 or 3 I'm reading as well.

Currently, I'm reading "Whitechapel Gods" by S.M. Peters and "Steampunk" an anthology of stories collected by Ann and Jeff Vandemeer. I recently just finished Tom Holland's "Slave of My Thirst" and "Cthulu Mythos" by Brian Lumley.
Someday, my ship will come in, but with my luck, I'll be stranded at the airport!
mikotyk

Postby mikotyk on June 24th, 2010, 2:49 pm

For those of you who like science fiction (or, as Tom prefers, science fantasy) novels, I highly recommend George Mann's "The Affinity Bridge". The book is set in the early 20th Century where it's hero, a young private investigator named Sir Maurice Newbury, has been assigned by Queen Victoria (who has been kept alive by artificial means) to look into the mysterious crash of an automated airship. The story is full of killer robots and plague infected zombies which made for an odd, but very interesting, mix. How they all tie together I leave to you to discover. It is a well written novel and there isn't a dull passage to be found in it. The story is part Sherlock Holmes mystery and Hammer horror film rolled into one.

My wife and I seem to go through books quickly. We are always reading something. I'm now reading Ray Bradbury's classic, "Something Wicked This Way Comes", which I haven't read since I was a teenager in school. I remember enjoying the book a lot and I'm looking forward to reacquainting myself with it.
Someday, my ship will come in, but with my luck, I'll be stranded at the airport!
mikotyk

Postby VilaRestal on June 27th, 2010, 9:29 pm

Funnily enough, I've just ordered 'Who on Earth is Tom Baker?' using Amazon. :D Living in Australia (where Tom's merchandise is scarce) is hard. :(
VilaRestal

PreviousNext

Return to TV, Film, Books and Music