Reading...What's on your pages???

Talk about the films you're seeing, programmes you're watching and books you're reading.

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Reading...What's on your pages???

Postby Marcello Cristiano on March 22nd, 2010, 2:49 am

I'm currently re-reading Peter Benchley's 'Jaws'. The imagination of the reader makes the book far scarier than the movie.

tch, I too share a love of comic books. I collect the IDW line of Doctor Who comics. Plus I have the old Marvel Doctor Who comics that featured TOM BAKER and Peter Davison's Doctor. They are just reprints of the comics that appeared in Doctor Who Magazine during the 80's. Although, they have been colourised for the reprints. These are the one that Dave Gibbons drew.
" 'Wibbsey' would be a wonderful word for pillow talk, wouldn't it? Especially if you said it softly..."

TOM BAKER
(2010)
DEMON QUEST
Doctor Who Magazine #425 (Interview)
Marcello Cristiano

Postby tch on March 22nd, 2010, 3:13 pm

The IDW Doctor Who comics have been great. It's one of the rare comics that my wife reads too. The new series, with Doctor #10 is hit or miss, but it's been great to have the reprints and I highly recommend the mini-series 'The Forgotten' to any Who fans out there.

Now, if someone would just reprint some of the really old comics, featuring Doctors #1-3 I'd be in geek heaven. Been so rough to track down any of those.
tch

Postby Marcello Cristiano on March 22nd, 2010, 6:35 pm

Hi tch. I have all six parts of 'The Forgotten' mini-series. Plus I also have them in graphic novel form. Although, I'm slightly disappointed with the artists' rendition of TOM's Doctor(in 'The Forgotten'), but the writing is stellar!
The 10th Doctor comics really have been fantastic. IDW is doing a great job. I hope they continue to produce Doctor Who comics once they move onto Matt Smith's Doctor. I know what you mean by "geek heaven", tch. I too feel like I'm there with all the Doctor Who memorabilia I've been collecting. :D
" 'Wibbsey' would be a wonderful word for pillow talk, wouldn't it? Especially if you said it softly..."

TOM BAKER
(2010)
DEMON QUEST
Doctor Who Magazine #425 (Interview)
Marcello Cristiano

Postby tch on March 23rd, 2010, 3:53 pm

IDW has announced they will be doing Matt Smith comics. I think the switch over is due to happen in the fall.

The ongoing has been fun. I am getting a bit tired of the big over arching story arc thing, but like the individual adventures, the great use of WHo history and the new companions.

Wish someone at the BBC would realize you can have two companions and then can be people other than a cute girl from now.
tch

Postby merlinsseer on March 26th, 2010, 3:25 am

tch wrote:
Queen of the Damned by Anne Rice. Really disliked 'Interview with a Vampire', but got the other two books for fifty cents at a library sale and they've been surprisingly entertaining.

Keep going Tch, they get much better as they go along. 'Tale of the Body Theif ' and the last novel 'Blackwood Farm' are two of my favorites. But of all her works the non-vampire, non-super natural novel "Cry To Heaven " is the one I love the most.
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
merlinsseer

Postby tch on March 26th, 2010, 6:15 pm

Have been enjoying 'Queen of the damned'. She's ramped up the power level of the vampires to such a crazy level that the book reads like some kind of surreal comic book epic.
I wouldn't be surprised if the X-men show up before the book ends.
tch

Postby merlinsseer on March 26th, 2010, 6:26 pm

lol-'Queen of the Damned' wasn't my favorite and was made into a horrid movie -don't even bother with it. It's pretty to look at but they leave out so much and twist the rest around that it hardly seems like the same story at all.
merlinsseer

Postby tch on March 27th, 2010, 3:02 am

No interest in the movies. I figured they couldn't do it justice, since they skipped book 2 and filmed books 1 and 3.
Bit like if Peter Jackson had decided not to film 'Two Towers'.
tch

Postby merlinsseer on March 27th, 2010, 3:10 am

well, really they tried to squish books two and three together and ended up with a disaster that barely made sense. MARIUS was a huge disappointment.
merlinsseer

Postby Gold Usher on April 2nd, 2010, 3:05 am

Picked up a paperback yesterday I had been looking for (yes, we delivered more bookmarks..hey I didn't get one this time!!)

A Pern story - the first one I've read with McCaffrey's son involved in writing, called "Dragon's Fire"
So far I've almost read half of it. I don't think it will make it until Sunday unless I hide it. I do wish it was a little more 'sophisticated' in writing style...too easy a read, meant for younger readers perhaps?
Gold Usher

PreviousNext

Return to TV, Film, Books and Music