Shows from childhood we still miss!

Talk about the films you're seeing, programmes you're watching and books you're reading.

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Shows from childhood we still miss!

Postby merlinsseer on March 9th, 2010, 10:14 pm

Sarah wrote: I love shows with dogs. Scooby doo! I think I had better shows growing up than kids have now. But we probably all feel like that about our own childhoods.

Scooby doo made me mad. They never caught a real ghost or monster, it was always some guy in a rubber mask. What a let down :lol: ( not to mention that animation was horrid)
I think the stateside television from the 70's warped my generation, especially saturday morning television with all those commercials for toys that would make you the coolest kid on the block if you had them. Whoever wrote the music for some of those advertisements must have had some weird insight into what makes something stick in a persons head like peanut butter. It took me days to get the Slinky song out of my head and by then I had to have a Slinky !! You didn't even have to WATCH the commercial for the words and music to get stuck.I remember sometime during the 80's the Barbie camp made a commercial that used the classic song " Hey there Georgie girl " and replaced ' Georgie' with 'Barbie' in the tune.We were all sitting around the lunch table when we heard one of the biggest football players in the school quietly ( and very unaware that he was doing it ) singing" Hey there Barbie girl !! " The poor boy was stuck with the nickname ' Barbie girl ' for awhile after that.
Does anybody else remember " Johnny Sokko and his giant robot" ?
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
merlinsseer

Postby Tardis Carpenter on March 10th, 2010, 7:46 pm

We used to call it cartoon day instead of Saturday! Every Saturday we would get up at dawn and start watching toons. merlinsseer, I wanted one of everything by the time noon had arrived. I did get a Green Machine, remember those , a big green souped up Big Wheel. I remember all the Kroft shows and loved them! I also loved Johnny Sokko and his flying robot! Here it is at hulu

http://www.hulu.com/watch/7289/johnny-sokko-and-his-flying-robot-dracolon-the-great-sea-monster

TC
Tardis Carpenter

Location: Inside the TARDIS remodeling and sometimes Kansas City

Postby tracy on March 10th, 2010, 8:42 pm

:crackD another coming to mind is er jack it use to be on at 5pm . and the double deckers ha gosh its all coming back now
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby tch on March 13th, 2011, 7:35 pm

My list:

The Addams Family
Incredible Hulk
Herculoids ( actually any hanna-barbara super hero cartoons make the list)
Battlestar Galactica
Buck Rogers
Scooby-Doo
tch

Postby philipdalton on June 19th, 2014, 1:55 pm

Does anyone remember "Rainbow"? Geoffrey, Bungle and the boys? There's a bit of X-Rated "Rainbow" to be found on YouTube and Daily Motion. There was a special edition of the show, filmed just for the road crew at Christmas and never shown on TV, which is littered with sexual innuendo. If you type in 'Rainbow twangers' you will find out exactly what I'm talking about. It's a good job Mary Whitehouse never got to see it, she would have had a field day.
"Grange Hill" featured themes towards the end of its history which would probably have been taboo in the early days, such as homosexuality.
“Oh yeah, you really got me now, you've got me so I don't know what I'm doing"
philipdalton

Previous

Return to TV, Film, Books and Music